Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlynn17_gw

Does anyone have a mirror above their mantel?

jlynn17
13 years ago

I recently rearranged my rooms and moved my dining room into the living room. It is a great space and has a fireplace which makes it very cozy. I have a very large mirror (about 30" x 50") that I had above my sideboard previously and had planned to put it back there, but my decorator suggested putting over the mantel. I have not seen many mirrors over a mantel and was wondering if you could post pictures if you do. My mirror is very heavy so I want to get some visuals before I commit! Thanks!

Comments (14)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I have a large mirror over my fireplace in my family room and I like it there. My fireplace has a raised hearth so even though the bottom of the frame is about 1 inch above the mantel, most of the mirror is fairly high which works well as I have 12 foot ceilings. This is a fairly contemporary room. I do so love a mirror over a fireplace in that cozy cottage English looking setting style and I know some folks here have that look going on in their homes.

• les917
    13 years ago

If you do a google search for Âmirrors over fireplacesÂ, and then click on images, you will get a lot of ideas.

A mirror over a fireplace mantel is very common. You want to be sure that it is reflecting something interesting, tho, or it becomes an undesirable design feature. Consider if the mirror works well with the mantel color and design, too.

Sounds like it will be a great space to dine!

• loribee
    13 years ago

I have a round one over my mantle in our sitting room~
    Hope this helps~

• User
    13 years ago

We have a sunburst mirror above ours.

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

We have an antique Stickley mirror above ours.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I do, I feel it might be a bit too big, but I love when the candles are lit....it does really make a great impact.

{{!gwi}}

• daisy735
    13 years ago

Antique mirrors from my grandmother-I love the mirrors posted.

• alex9179
    13 years ago

I redo my mantle every 3-4 months, so sometimes it's art and other times it's a mirror.
    I do try to have something other than than the ceiling reflected, I agree that it should be something you like to see! :) I'm hesitant to drill into the brick since I change it regularly, so I make do.
    This is what I've done for fall, I'm going to put more grass in the urn as soon as it stops raining here and I can get outside. Tropical storm coming through! If I don't have stuff in front of my mirror, it reflects the ceiling fan and ceiling...not my goal. If I could get a view of the outside or my chandelier...or something pretty I would be much happier.

Here is another mirror that reflects the chandelier in the dining room, which I love. Not a great shot of it, but you get the idea. The faux forsythia is gone and more tall grass has taken it's place. Old picture from Earth Day :)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    13 years ago

Like Alex above, I do mine for each season. I just did a fall harvest-y thing Monday night. I use either a mirror or art work, and this antique Ogee mirror has a twiggy wreath I made on top of it suspended by ribbon. That allows you to have a bit of light reflected by the mirror but disguise a view that may not be the best.

Same lamps and mirror in Fall 2008.

• lisaag98
    13 years ago

I have three mirrors above my mantle! I took a 1980's triple dresser mirror that was attached to the back of a giant dresser, took it all apart so it was three separate pieces, painted and distressed them, then hung them side by side. They actually have a cute shape.

Here's a picture from our last house:

• jlynn17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for sharing the great pictures! I was concerned that my mirror would not have much of a reflection in it other than the opposite wall but it would be sitting in the middle of the room and would reflect the chandelier. I feel much better about putting it there. Now the trick is getting it up there...

• sonaliagrawal
    13 years ago

beekeepers wife - love the charcoal grey paint in ur room. Can you share what it is?

• HU-287580685
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Absolutely, placing a mirror above the mantel can work wonders for your space! It's actually a pretty classic design move. It helps bounce light around the room, making it feel larger and more open, especially in cozy areas like yours with a fireplace.

I've seen it done in various styles, from ultra-modern to more traditional spaces, and it always adds a nice touch. If yours is a hefty piece, just make sure it's securely mounted. Sadly, I can't post pictures here, but a quick search online should give you plenty of inspiration. It sounds like it could be a stunning addition to your new dining room setup!