Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Dining room decor advice-please!

lorishopaholic
10 years ago

I posted some pictures of my dining room when I needed some curtain help and thanks to everyone I finally have that problem solved. On to the next problem! I need some decor advice. I have a pair of peacock lamps on my buffet. I had a giant peacock picture hanging up on but decided to change it out for this pair of pictures. As I started to hang them I wondered if I am overdoing the peacocks. What do you guys think? If so can you give me some ideas of what I should look for? This is the last room in our new home to decorate and I am really having trouble with it. Im sure I am overthinking it. Lol.

Comments (39)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pictures-

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view if you look to the right you can see the buffet with lamps in relation to the pictures.

• musicteacher
    10 years ago

I love your dining room - the walls, the furniture and even the peacocks.

• chispa
    10 years ago

It looks like two pairs of peacocks a bit too close to each other. If you had the 2 lamps and just one picture or 2 pictures and just one lamp, I think it would look fine, but the 2 pairs is a bit too matchy.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I love peacocks and see why you'd be attracted to them for decor. Personally, I would want to avoid a "theme" room and probably would use one or the other. That said, they both look wonderful in the room; the lamps look great with the mirror and the peacock art is gorgeous on your wall.

If it were my room, I might try to find another room to use the lamps (bedroom, guest room?) hang the art and maybe look for some lamps that carry one of the peacock colors over to the buffet.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

what olychick said.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I agree with olychick, except I'd keep the lamps and find a big painting (abstract or impressionist landscape) for art. I LOVE those lamps!

• peegee
    10 years ago

I also love the lamps, and would use them if I couldn't place them elsewhere. But if I moved the lamps, I would place a vase of peacock feathers in the room! Also, although the lamps are stunning where they are, I am drawn to how well the artwork looks on the wall, and relates to the color in the chairs. Really pretty room!

• peegee
    10 years ago

Edited out double post

This post was edited by peegee on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 17:30

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

As a woman with a tall gold crane lamp, let me first say, I LOVE LAMP(S)! :-) But I agree with the person who suggested a bold abstract with them. Then, I would hang the lovely peacock prints somewhere nearby.

I tend to feel like gold bird lamps say "glamour" in a big way and they need something that makes a statement with them.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Maybe I'm not as sophisticated in decor as the other posters on this thread, but I really like the peacock lamps and I really like the peacock art and I rather like them in the room together. I think it would be fine to change out the art or the lamps, but I actually think they're fine together in the room as well. If you do swap out one or the other, I hope you'll put the removed one somewhere else in the house, because both are really pretty.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for all the great advice and suggestions. I'm still torn as I really love the lamps so want to keep them in the room plus I don't really have another room in the house they would work in and I found a peacock picture that I fell madly in love with while shopping for something other than a peacock. Ha! I hung it up and I really like it in the room. Ugh. So, I might leave them both in there for awhile and see.

• fluffybutt
    10 years ago

That new painting is perfect!

• thankurnmo
    10 years ago

With our proclivity for indecision and agonizing over the decisions----when something strikes you- you need to run with it. I agree that the big painting is great! Enjoy it. (and I think the pair of prints will be lovely somewhere else in the home.)

• glad2b
    10 years ago

That painting is perfect there! Do you mind telling us where you bought it?

• amykath
    10 years ago

I love that large painting! It is gorgeous and looks perfect there.

• teacats
    10 years ago

The large painting is wonderful in your pretty room! :)

Perhaps you could use the pair of peacock prints in an adjoining space -- maybe the living room? Or perhaps a hallway?

• Gooster
    10 years ago

That is perfect! It is great when it all comes together like that.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

That is gorgeous and I think the single peacock along with the 2 peacock lamps will look much better than 2 peacock paintings and 2 peacock lamps.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Gorgeous room and love the new painting! Don't think it is too much at all!

Where is the painting from? I have a bit of a peacock obsession myself so have hints of it in several rooms in my house too.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I love that large Peacock painting in there, and also think that it'll be fine with the two lamps.

olychick, do you mind sharing the source for those lamps you posted upthread?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Sorry, I'm not getting on the peacock bandwagon.

I'm not a fan of collecting peacock stuff, horse stuff, owl stuff, turtle stuff, gun stuff, stuffed animal heads etc. And by collecting I mean more than 2 like items in a room. If you like the peacock lamps, that IMO are too short for your sideboard, keep them, but don't add the peacock prints and the peacock painting to the room. They may all individually be quite nice, but together they are too much of a good thing.

if you use the lamps on the buffet, it would be my suggestion to compensate for their shortness, by placing 2, framed botanical prints stacked on either side of the mirror, behind the lamps to balance the grouping.

Objects in "peacock colors" could be used in your room like art glass, ceramics, and floral botanical prints or paintings .

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I also vote for the large painting, but I'd raise the mirror over the buffet and ditch the peacock feathers on the table.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for the input! I really am loving the big painting in there! I might switch the lamps if I see something else I like but I just haven't found anything and I don't have another room that they would look right in. Any ideas for a different centerpiece for the table? Also, for those wanting to know the painting came from Kirklands.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to try out a taller lamp after the suggestions. I left the peacock on the right so it would be easier to compare which looked better. I would have to paint the gold on these lamps to better match the champagne colors in the room but I do have a pair of these. Better, leave the peacocks or keep looking?

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

My initial thought is that the height is better but the shade is too big.
    I'll be interested to see what others with a better trained eye have to say.

• Design_MACS
    10 years ago

It's been a few days since your original post, but I actually disagree with most of the other responses. I think that your new large peacock painting, while beautiful, is out of scale with the size of the wall. It would fit better on a wall either without wainscoting or in a room with taller ceilings. The two smaller pictures left more space between them, making the room feel a bit wider, and had more space before your crown molding, making the ceiling feel higher.

I also don't mind the set of two prints with the peacock lamps, and here is why. While all of these items are themed, they lamps are painted one color. Each feather isn't bright and eye catching, rather they coordinate well with the wall color and don't beg for attention in the room. You would only have to worry about the quantity of peacocks in the room if they were all bright and fighting for your attention.

For the centerpiece, I would suggest adding a table runner in a pale robin's egg blue to tie in the color of the drapes and lamp shades. Then you can put out some silver candle holders and other accessories around the vase of feathers. Right now they look like a random item placed on the table. The key is to lighten up the area around the vase with other objects and have the runner tie everything together. I don't particularly love this collection of items in the attached picture, but all of the silver accents make for a nice collection which would help your space. Doing this on a light blue table runner with the pop of color from the feathers would look lovely.

If you have any questions feel free to check out my site!
    www.designmacs.com or my blog on Facebook at the Design MACS page

Here is a link that might be useful: Design MACS

• OHheather
    10 years ago

I have the same peacock lamp from Kirklands, and I've been looking for curtains to compliment it. Would you mind sharing where yours are from?

• OHheather
    10 years ago

I have the same peacock lamp from Kirklands, and I've been looking for curtains to compliment it. Would you mind sharing where yours are from?

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, of course! I ended up with the Pottery Barn DUPIONI SILK DRAPE in blue dawn. They ended up being a beautiful match and trust me I tried several different brands and colors. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I agree that the peacock lamps and a picture/duo which ever, are not too much. The lamps are very subtle. I say GO FOR IT! My only feeling about your room was that I would want to pull more of the peacock blue colors out of the paintings. Would a runner do it? I see your drapes are pretty pale. I think the upholstery color with the peacock colors doesn't work for me. Scale is difficult in a photo so I am not sure which is best but I tend to like the new larger picture, as it looks more modern. What did the original single picture look like? Love the vase of feathers!!

• nuggly
    10 years ago

I agree with Design_MACS. The single picture is gorgeous but too big. The paired set are scaled better for that wall, and the frames are more suited to the formality of your beautiful furniture. Not to mention the reddish color in those prints ties in with your fabric on the chairs. The large painting doesnt match the color or mood of the chairs. As for the lamps, I think your peacocks are fine, but I would personally go with one similar to Olychick's suggestion. Are you sure you can't find another room to use that fantastic single painting?

Wow, just realized your original post was 6 months ago! What did you end up doing?

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FingNugSnug- I ended keeping the large painting in there and I love it! I get lots of compliments as you see it upon entering our home since the dining room is right off the foyer. I took the lamps out and added simpler lamps and a blue table runner. I still am not happy with how my chairs look with the new color scheme so I am thinking about reupholstering them with a neutral linen in a ivory or beige color and keeping the brown leather seats the same. My other thought is to sell the chairs and replace them with something a little more update. If you have any suggestions that would be wonderful! Here is a current picture of the room.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of one of the styles of chairs I am thinking about. I can't decide about the ring pulls on the back. I personally love them but wonder if I would get tired of them or it would be too much in my dining room. I have found similar chairs without the pulls. Would love everyone's thoughts and suggestions. Is it a mistake to break up my current dining set?

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought about using these at the head of the table but couldn't decide if they would look right with the above chairs I posted or if I should stay all neutral with the chairs.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more style option I have thought about or possibly just a linen parson style chair?? See I need help! Lol

• nuggly
    10 years ago

What's the history behind the dining room set? Family heirloom, garage sale find, is it a complete original set or were the chairs a separate purchase? Based on that answer, I would then decide what to do about the chairs. I agree that the color isn't right and seems too 'heavy'. One way to possibly make the chairs work is to find an area rug with all your colors in it, including the red of the chairs.. Still not sure if that would work. How about finding chair covers in ivory or that beautiful blue and getting a feel for how that would look before you do anything drastic like re-upholstering or selling them?

I'm not too crazy about the rings on those first chairs, and the back seems low...have to wonder if they are comfortable, but they are pretty. The other chairs are very nice also. I like the idea of the end chairs being different from the others, but it seems to me that you have 2 different styles going on. Your set seems more traditional, and the peacock picture and your pics of potential chairs have a more modern feel.

• nuggly
    10 years ago

I went back and looked at all your pics again, and this is what I would do. I'd recover the backs of the chairs in an ivory fabric. I would find an area rug with ivory, taupe (like your walls), and that beautiful blue in the peacock. Either find or make a centerpiece with ivories and blues, and add the peacock feathers to supplement the arrangement. A place like Michael's could help with that. Add some silver candlesticks on either side of the centerpiece. Consider changing the mirror to a more modern looking silver-framed mirror. Dark walls add drama....not sure about this because I can't really tell what your wall color is now, but it might be cool to accent the mirror wall with a dark paint, maybe a deeper shade of the peacock blue, a dark gray, or a deeper shade of your current wall color. I would also eliminate the planter on the buffet and use something with a lower profile. This can all be done inexpensively, especially if you recover the chairs yourself. Check places like Hobby Lobby, TJ Maxx Home Goods, and of course Kirkland's!

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator