Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cityofparis

Curtains

How do I hang curtains from the ceiling? What supplies do I need? I want to use the curtains as a room divider

Comments (16)

• larke
    13 years ago

I think it's a question of attaching a strip of wood to the ceiling and then curtain rod holders attached to the wood. Then depending on the individual curtains - whether they're tab or hook types or others, you just put them on as usual. But I would definitely ask the store(s) where they're sold what they suggest because they probably have various ways to do it and the initial wood strip might end up being a metal one with ways to attach rods, etc.

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

No, the curtain rod holders CAN be directly attached to the ceiling... no odd wood strip needed.

I've seen specific ceiling rods sold, but cannot remember in which catalog...

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

You can get ceiling-mount hardware (I think Ikea has it, and many others) that's like a channel to hold the curtain hardware -- kind of like the curtains they have around exam tables at the doctor's office where they can just grasp the curtain and pull it along the channel. The curtains would go floor to ceiling if you wanted them to be a full room divider. Try Googling "curtain track" to see what's out there.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Ikea has a section on curtains as room dividers. Go to the link below and scroll your mouse over the pop-up box to find the photo titled "Curtains as Room Dividers."

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea USA Textiles

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• avesmor
    13 years ago

There's an almost infinite number of solutions to this.

You can mount ANY rod with a closed rod support to the ceiling. Closed rod support meaning the part of the bracket that holds the rod completely encircles the rod instead of just cupping it.
    {{!gwi}}

You can buy a baton draw track. Think of what hospitals use to draw privacy curtains.

You could screw a hook into your ceiling, and attach a ringed drape. This is often used for draping a ceiling with fabric, but could be easily adjusted.

You could mount a single-piece rod to the ceiling (adjustable rod with integrated corners vs. corners formed by rod and bracket).

You could use a cable system:
    {{!gwi}}

Get creative with ball chain and a wire rod system:

Copper pipe, PVC, or anything else that comes with the right angles and/or bendability:

Repurose a storage hook, deep wall hook, etc.:

Etc., etc., etc....

• User
    13 years ago

If you want the curtains to pull completely to the side, that is the track mounted to the ceiling as in hospital rooms. Go to a medical supply company and shop there. Those would be any shape you want, and not be stopped by a bracket as in some of the options above.

I am using the 100 pound 9-strand stainless steel picture wire with small turnbuckles at the end to tighten them. Not mounted ON the ceiling, but at ceiling height in the crown molding of our family room up north. The turnbuckles can be purchased at a hardware store, or at a sailboat supply store. Pricier at the sailboat store, but excellent metal.
    I will attach the curtains with clip rings so they can be removed for cleaning without touching the hardware parts.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• avesmor
    13 years ago

How many more ideas are you wanting?

• phyl345
    13 years ago

What a wealth of information. I've gotten lots of ideas .. thank you!

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bumpity bump

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

Holy cow gitananoel. A lot of good ideas have been put forth here. Do you not like any of them - thus the multiple bumps? If you want something else then you have to tell us what you don't like about the ideas offered.

If you are trying to get me to give away the unique curtains from the ceiling system design that I just submitted to the patent office - forget about it!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Posted by gitananoel (My Page) on Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 10:24
    bump
    Posted by gitananoel (My Page) on Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 21:27
    bump
    Posted by gitananoel (My Page) on Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 20:19
    bumpity bump

Gitananoel - I checked some of your other posts and you continually bump up your threads.

May I suggest that you comment on the ideas being given and tell us what they are missing - what exactly you are looking for that you are not finding?

If people have nothing to write on a subject, repeated bumping isn't going to help.

by gitananoel

Here is a link that might be useful: 18 bumps in this thread

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump