Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarmstrong

Color Help Request

Houseofsticks
9 years ago

Needing help with sunroom color decision. This was the previous owners choice, a very bright yellow. I tried Eddie Bauer Denim in a sample section.
Here's my issues:
Room connects by French doors to dining/kitchen with a very yellowish fireplace (grout and to some extent stone). I'd like to paint the kitchen in a Olive tone grey/green/brown undertone-I think.

I seem to be gravitating toward a house of blues and would like some continuity at least on the public spaces floor.
Thinking:
BM British Khaki on entry/halls/stairwell.

Both these rooms are visible from the sunroom.

Here's what I've used so far in the other areas.
MB Weimaraner (BM) low LRV (My favorite color)
DD Room-Sea Breeze (Valspar) high LRV (DD choice)
DS Room-Sea Port (Valspar) blue/grey low LRV (DS choice)
Trim- Creme Fraiche by Allen +Roth (lowes/Valspar?)
The trim in high gloss seems fine in the bedrooms but when I picture it downstairs with all the nicer trim it seems like it will read as cheap. I think the previous owner has a more matte finish. Is this OK (cosmetically)?

I haven't ever been able to pick out color. Log home 14 years, prior to that a slat board white washed throughout mill house for 5 years. Feet are just getting wet.

I did go crazy in the laundry room, BM Waterfall. I wanted something bright and cheery.

Comments (24)

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adjoining kitchen/dining with yellow fireplace. Currently BM Stonnington Grey I don't like the cool blue tone in it.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I love the idea of yellow in a sun room. Why not try a much softer, lighter shade of yellow?

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other side of adjoining kitchen/dining. Thinking an olive greenish would look better with the cabinets (Maple) reads as orangey.

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zackey,
    Do you think the yellow will highlight the fireplace yellow? I'm trying to tone it down. I may have to consider coloring/staining grout if that's even feasible.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Take a look at BM's affinity colors...they are all designed to play nicely together so it makes it very easy to select colors.

I love a pale blue sun room...it adds sky to all the light.

BM Exhale is an affinity color and it's a pretty shade of blue that leans more gray than baby.

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Annie,
    Thanks. I've been looking at those since I liked the Weimaraner so much in the same collection. The sun room will be a playroom for my kids. It has brownie beige tile and grout. I tried the denim as it was a free cast off from my DD room choice (in a full gallon that she decided "meh!"). I did like how the blue seemed to bring in the nautical feel.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Weimaraner is SUCH a gorgeous color!

How about some kind of ochre, i.e.: BM Bryan Ochre, in the DR. It would be warm and help the FP, I think, and seque nicely with your moss-green kitchen (BM Mountain Moss?).

With the Bryan Ochre and the white trim, paint the book shelves a dark bronze.

It would also look great with your black Colonial style chairs.

I'd then get a new chandelier, black wrought iron, no shades, on a dimmer, and maybe sconces on each side of the door to the right, in the pic (not kitchen door).

Then, in the sunroom, a very soft green, BM Burgess Green.

BM Bryan Ochre

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Burgess Green

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 8:44

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Warm DR; put a nice rug under the table

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 9:37

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Soft Green Sunroom

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pale blue

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Deeper green SR

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Gray blue SR

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Needlepoint Navy

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, Thank you! I love the Ochre! The furniture is not mine....these are the listing pictures. I will have dark brown leather couches in the sun room. I want an antique farmhouse table in the dining/kitchen...now thinking I should not have given away my colonial style chairs;).
    Oh the Mountain Moss looks like it will work well! I plan on changing the mantle out for a log one (reminder of our previous home). Not sure on the dark (it looks almost purple shelves). Oh wait! We have a gold/bronzy color in the tile work. That may work perfectly.
    Thank you for you time and suggestions! I am so overwhelmed.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Honestly, I'd go with a pale yellow, something like Philadelphia Cream, Windham Cream, etc. I think it would tone down the yellow fireplace because of not a complementary color but rather the same.

Windham Cream

Philadelphia Crem

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Denim sample.

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adjoining dining/kitchen

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchen tile and countertop (not sure of the name of the corian).

Trib, Would you have a color suggestion for the bookcases flanking the fireplace. You mentioned Bronze...is it like the rope relief inlay?

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is clam shell, too dark?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I like the clam shell. I don't think it's too dark.

Just please don't bring back the scarf valances.

• Houseofsticks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol,
    I took them down. Also, the beige couch and Florida chair are not mine. It's mostly ths end up stuff and a couple of canoe book shelves as it's now the kids play room:) thank you!
    I like how the blinds look raffia instead or yellow with this color. Thanks for the visualized version!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

LOVE the clam shell!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

looks great and seems to look really nice with your kitchen too!

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Philadelphia Cream is just gorgeous. There's another one similr--Morning Light, I think it is called BM.