Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

What to do with leftover granite

donnar57
10 years ago

We are doing a major home makeover. The upstairs is almost done -- wallpaper removed (YAY! Good riddance!), painted, bathroom redone. All that's left, after the bathroom is done, is new carpeting -- but we are waiting for the rest of the house to be finished.

We bought a granite slab for the bathroom counters. It is beautiful and will eventually coordinate very well with the carpet we have chosen! However, after doing two bathroom counters (downstairs is getting redone too), we have a slab left over that's about 52" long by 30" wide. It's enough for another bathroom countertop but we only have two bathrooms.

So.....we're debating what to do with the leftover granite. Selling it on Craigslist is an option but not sure how fast it would sell. Another option that my husband suggested: make it into a desktop. I need a new desk, and have the perfect placement for the desk, but would have no idea how about doing that.

What have others done with leftover granite slab?

Donna

Comments (9)

• chispa
    10 years ago

I bought 2 slabs for our outdoor BBQ area counter and had quite a bit left. I had a wrought iron console table and side table that had a boring beige stone when I bought them. I had my fabricator make new tops and lower shelf for each of the tables and I now use them outside on the patio. I didn't want to use the tables inside any more, so this was a great way to reuse the tables, which are solid and very good quality. A desk top is a great idea and you fabricator should be able to cut to size and shape the edges.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I turned a piece upside down and used it to under a statue in the garden. My daughter does here hair in her bedroom and I gave her a peice to set hot straighening irons on.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I needed another slab to cover a raised shelf in my kitchen. The extra material was turned into a custom table for the banquette. I was having trouble finding suitable tables.

Counter stone is very heavy. You need to have a base that adequately can support the weight and that follows the same basic principles for overhangs and maximum spans. My x-cross base is steel and has a steel frame supporting the plywood underlayment on all four sides. The maximum overhang is about 10" in the corners.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Wow what neat ideas GWers!
    I love the idea of a desktop.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

We used some of ours for the surround for our family room fireplace. Getting that cut and installed cost around $500. I still have the piece from our rangetop cut out. Someday we may use that to redo the powder room vanity.

It is difficult to sell granite remnants because there is so much remnant granite around and because there is still the cost to get it fabricated for use. One fabricator we talked to charges just for the fabrication and not for the stone if you get something made with one of their remnants.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

I had some extra granite and sold it back to the installers.

• donnar57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Such creative ideas, thank you for sharing! One of my husband's ideas was a take-off from one of you -- to use it as the top of the new fireplace mantel. He's going to talk to the contractor tomorrow about the feasibility of that.

I had a suspicion that selling it wouldn't be very easy. Selling back to the installers isn't an option -- we purchased the slab outright, so it's ours. Right now the contractor has the extra part of the slab in his warehouse.

Donna

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I used some of my leftover bathroom counter granite for the ledges in my built-in shower caddies. They coordinate well with the accent and subway tile, but I'm not sure I'd do it again because no matter how much I seal the granite, I get water stains where the water settles around the shampoo bottles on one of the lower shelves.

I also plan on having a cheese platter made from some of the leftover granite. If I had enough material left over, I would have liked to use some of the ideas posted above.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts