Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Kitchen colors and continuity

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

So, for the beachhouse, I have pretty much decided on Northstar retro appliances. I don't want a 2013 kitchen, and my house in CT already has a subzero tarted up to look like an icebox, so I don't want to do that again. Hence I will do a kitchen in my 1906 house that looks like I put it in the 40s or so, I hope.

I have narrowed it down to four colors: blue, white, yellow, or green.

White is the easiest... but I want to take a risk I wouldn't do in my primary home. I'd only do white if I paired it with pink and green. Last night I saw Sleepless in Seattle with my kids and she had a kitchen those colors --- but she was in a Victorian, this is a Dutch Colonial, so I don't think its right for the house. Too cutesy.

Blue (turqoise) is the most logical since I am basically trying to "blue up" to whole house in order to bring the ocean in...

Green would also work because it is harmonious with the turqoise.

BUT, I saw yellow in the showroom and it looked so ... appetizing. Like vanilla pudding. It was pleasant, fresh. It didnt' seem as trendy as turquoise, or as insistently retro as the jadeite green, KWIM?

So, a few questions:

1. Would you use yellow appliances in a house if you didn't plan or particularly like yellow anywhere else? i.e., I really prefer homes where every room seems to flow naturally from the last room, and all are of one. Do I have to add a nod to yellow somewhere else if I have it here?

NOTE: the kitchen is buffered a bit by a butler's pantry and a hall; it is not visible from any other rooms.

2. The only "givens" in the kitchen are one wooden china cabinet, and I am pretty sure I am putting in a black/white diamond patterned floor. The trim is wood but I may paint it in that room (it and the lone cabinet are pine or oak, IDK, but mid tone).

What color appliance do you think would be best?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (63)

• loribee
    10 years ago

Love the blue...but I'd go yellow because I feel like it's a neutral, you can do anything with it and it's really pretty!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My MIL decorated her homes in the 1940s and stuck with it...her kitchens in both houses were always yellow, if that helps....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad so many agree with yellow!

But I don't want to put ANY yellow in the other rooms. I'm just not wild about blue and yellow, sorry.

What if I don't repeat yellow anywhere else's, the rest of the first floor stays in the blue and green family?

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Yes, I think that the yellow will work in the kitchen, even if you don't put yellow in the other rooms. Will you reinforce the yellow fridge with other yellow elements in the kitchen?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The kitchen is separate, and particularly in a largish, traditionally laid out house, the rooms can have different schemes. I like the yellow, even though a lot of colors interact negatively with my synesthesia. It would depend to me on how it looked with the wood. I might like the blue better with the wood.

In any case, it would not have to be carried throughout the house in a non-open plan.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree that the yellow may remain isolated to the kitchen and used nowhere else. The orange that is in my PR is there alone and nowhere else in the house...I don't think I could stand it anything but a small dose. Nor is the heather in my mud room anywhere else...once is enough.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe this will help. I tried to mock up two schemes:

1. Buttercup Yellow with an off white/ aqua floor
    2. Duck egg blue with an b/w floor

As far as the woodwork ... there are 4 doors, window trim, and a china hutch. To me they look like all the same wood, pretty much? Clear pine maybe? see photo at bottom .... please ignore wall color and floor!!

I could paint the woodwork but I'd rather not. So which of the two schemes works best with the wood?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, thanks for that input about isolated color schemes. I grew up in a house that was very decor-schizophrenic, and have always been attracted to continuity in decor since then. Glad to hear, too, that yellow is a 40s color!

Pal, I had to look up "synesthesia". Fascinating. I always learn something from you! If you prefer blue with the wood, I'm curious to learn why. What tones are in the wood?

Francoise, yes, I would probably sprinkle some yellow in, but not much. I would go with white or off white walls.

Loribee, thanks.

Boop, I have seen that house numerous times and like it too, but I think I would tire of it.

Oly, I love that kitchen! So cute. I don't think we need 2 fridges in a summer house, but I might put an undercounter fridge somewhere. We don't drink beer, at all, and no soda either, and I prefer to buy fresh groceries daily, so we wouldn't need it just for ourselves we don't need it. But renters might.

I've seen the two-tone. I am thinking that, since it will be an unfitted kitchen, it might seem a little visually cacophonous anyway, so two-tone would aggravate it. I think freezer on top looks more retro, but I hate using them!

Love, I will go look, thanks!

Mojo, Lav, PPS, Kellie, thanks for your vote! I think I am not going to go with green, because I don't care for that shade in and of itself, I only like its "retroness". And notice no one votes for white! So I think blue or yellow...

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 9:45

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Well, the blue with black and white floor looks very retro 1950's bebop diner to me, so I vote for the yellow with the lighter floor, but I also think white would look great.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think that the blue would look nicer with the wood --- but then, blue is my favorite color.
    How different is the current yellow inside the cup board from the yellow of the fridge? That would give you an idea how the yellow and the wood go together.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, NSoccer, I am really torn myself.

The yellow on the wall is awful; it has a highlighter yellow-ness too it. The fridge yellow is richer, a bit golden.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The reason I like the blue, is because its not the yellow, and I can't explain it better than that. I get a weird taste-smell from certain colors/combinations and certain yellow + combos are triggers. Especially when I am first looking at it, not every time.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

If you must throw anything at me, make it an avocado. :)

But pale yellow, RED, and blue are the ultimate 40's kitchen colors. Especially red and pale yellow.

Off to get some tortilla chips!

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

i'm no help. i'd like one of each please! they're like happy little easter eggs. :)

• amykath
    10 years ago

Love the yellow! It is less jarring to my eyes. It is more subtle and warm.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Your Buttercup Yellow with off-white and aqua floor mock-up is really nice! I don't normally respond to yellow, but I do love it in that combination with the wood and aqua. I think that is just the look you have been describing for the house. Lovely.... I really hope you go for the checkerboard floor! I am itching to do that in a kitchen renovation we are about to embark upon for our summer home, but I am not sure it is the right look for our house

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I kind of know why you're drawn to the yellow, but to me, it could seem random to have a yellow fridge with no yellow anywhere else. Does that make sense?

I also like your fridge/floor scheme better w/ the blue fridge. I'm not loving the blue/white floor w/ the yellow fridge.

But then again, cough cough, I have the insistently retro jadeite green in my beach house kitchen.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

The yellow looks the most pleasing to me and I am one who
    also doesn't "respond" to the color . Congratulations on your new "beachouse" ...I love that area of ME !

• Janice742
    10 years ago

I prefer the blue with the tone of the wood. And love the black and white floor in your mock up.

Is it me? - and it may just be how it shows on my monitor - but the cabinetry seems to have yellow undertones - therefore the blue seems to complement it better.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sueb --- I don't think of that as Jadeite! Jadeite is pretty intense. I don't care for the Jadeite dishware esp, since I think food looks sooooo bad on it.
    And i know exactly what you mean about using it ONLY on the K appliances and then abandoning the yellow. It doesn't seem to phase most people here, but I think in a "perfect house", it would need to be referenced elsewhere ... but i dont really like yellow.

Janice --- Undertones! That was the word I was trying to get Pal to use! Does anyone recall Marcolo's hilarious diatribe on undertones? So, if the wood has yellow undertones, that means don't use it with yellow?

LOL, Maggie.

MarinaGal, In re the diamond checkerboard, I have the same thoughts. I think painted on wood it is very colonial, but in tile form it is more midcentury?

As of now, incl the kitchen folk, the tally is 16 yellow, 7 blue, 3 green and 1 white.

I thought, before i got the votes, blue would win, but I think a lot of people see what i see in the yellow ... a simplicity, authenticity, a charm... and no 50's doowop boomerang stuff.

So, i will decide between those two colors, onsite.

Thanks!

• jrueter
    10 years ago

I guess I am in a minority, in that I generally like yellow. I love the yellow fridge with the Duck Egg/yellow floor. I think both options are gorgeous, though. Definitely a case of no right answer when both choices are so lovely.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Sarah Richardson did a kitchen with a blue and yellow floor if that helps at all...

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I see something with more of a nod to the wood tones in the floor, to me that would be more soothing for a beach house kitchen. I also prefer the frig in this color and some nice art to tie it all in. The floor example came out a bit wishy washy in the transfer but try to imagine that it did not and is a tad more vibrant.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jterrilynn,

Thanks so much for taking the time to do a mockup!

I get your point about the woodtones, but to be honest, in this room, i'd sooner paint the wood then bow to it for my color choices. It already seems a bit odd to me ... on the first floor, the LR woodwork and panelling is a dark mahogany color, the DR is all painted white, and the kitchen and butler's pantry have this piney-oak stuff! I find that a little discordant. The rest of the house is painted white, too.

And is that a retro fridge in :::squinting::: stainless?? That takes all the fun out of it, LOL.

Lastly, I have zero confidence in my ability to select art. ZERO. I am so darn fickle about art! So i'd never do a room around it.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oh we are sooo opposite lol! This picture may or may not be suitable but for me itâÂÂs so much easier to pick the art first and design around that.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

I love the yellow fridge--it reminds me of a vintage yellow bread box:

I'll throw in a pic of one of my favorite vintage kitchens with a yellow fridge. This is a little intense for me IRL (maybe the vinyl chairs?), but I love the style and character ... and it has a checkerboard floor.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's pretty, as are many of those example people have posted. But I don't know, it's not my thing. Too country or something? Or, as I said, in Kitchens, a little bit ... baby-showery maybe?

For me, this is one of my issues with yellow. I don't want a yellow and blue kitchen, so if i use yellow appliances I have to think about how to relate it to other rooms on the first floor (albeit not visible).

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like the yellow...if you paint the wood! Mama Goose's kitchen example is very nice. And I like that floor, more than the black and white.

What if you paint the cabinets, use a blue and white/cream floor and the soft yellow fridge? Then, you can bring in your ocean/beach theme and I think it will work much better.

Also, I would say the undertone on your wood is not yellow, it's orange...and that's why I think the yellow doesn't work with the wood. Of course, my computer picture may be quite off and it's very different IRL :)

• suero
    10 years ago

I vote yellow, especially if you're going to use the fabric you posted

Here is a link that might be useful: here

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Suero -- so you would use that fabric (which is for the LR), two rooms away in the kitchen, too? I hadnt thought of that.

Lavender, the undertones thing is so funny. Did you ever read Marcolo's post on it?

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I have the same problem with the pale yellow and blue (baby shower). I would be more inclined (if you keep the wood tone) to get the frig custom painted in Dijon or cinnamon. If you look at the painting Dijon or Cinnomon goes well. IâÂÂm Not talking harvest gold but more of a stately Dijon.
    This way you could toss in lavender blue, green/brownish blue, maybe some muted terra cotta-iish shades and white. You are not so strictly locked into a palate and can bring more beach colors in.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 12:53

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jterrilynn,

I like the fridge color. I have a sample switch and it is a creamy yellow, regardless of how it reads. I don't really want to veer into autumnal shades.

Janice,
    I can see myself doing the same thing, sticking with colors you "know". As far as the back of the hutch, GMTA. I've been searching vintage wallpapers for ideas.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Yes I understand...I had fun with this anyway. I enjoy doing a spin.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 14:13

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jterri -- that IS nice, really nice.

My DH just found a metal sample of Viking SeaGlass. I was thinking of that last time for my stove. We COULD get the viking, and then have Elmira match the fridge color (they prob will not be near each other anyway.

It's hard to tell, but it is a lovely muted blue green,

http://image.shop.ferguson.com/prodimages/viking/300x300/VGSC5366BSEBR.jpg

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Saw this post from Retro Renovation and thought of your project. It's from the 50's rather than the 40's but may still give you some ideas.

It's fun to look at the old ads too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kem-Glo Paints 1954

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Mtn, I canâÂÂt wait to see how you do a 1940âÂÂs kitchen because those colors are challenging to live with. Here are colors for more of an evolved 1900 thru 1930âÂÂs look that I used above. Oh what the heck IâÂÂd probably add a few late 1890âÂÂs shades (and did) even though your home was not born yet. I will be watching with great interest in the progress!

P.S I love that stove! That would look real nice in a 1920's kitchen and more.
    NOTE: this post was edited to include the link to the colors above.

Here is a link that might be useful: your home only bet...blog

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 20:05

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

If you're still considering yellow, here's a pic I found on houzz. The kitchen has cabinets in a similar tone, with a vintage-y b&w floor:

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Austin General Contractors Davenport Building Solutions

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jterri,
    Where'd you get those palettes? I don't know how interesting it will be! I mean most of us can't quite describe a 40's kitchen anyway! I would rather it didn't look 50's, but I don't want it to look original (been there done that, well at least a little bit) and I don't want it to look 2013. So, we will see what i end up with.

The Seaglass is a very pretty muted blue green gray. It's the oddest thing, I got a sample of it a year ago, and for some reason, yesterday DH found it on the MBR mantel behind a picture leaning there. Odd!

Alas, Seaglass is discontinued! I am calling around to see if I can find one. If I do, i can have the fridge painted to match by the mfr. If not, I can send them the metal sample have them custom paint the fridge and a range.

Or, I can go with yellow. I think I have concluded that I like the yellow, and that I might prefer blue, but NOT the blue that is available. I guess I can just whip out my 24 blue paint sample boards, and go custom LOL!

Mamagoose,
    Where did you find that yummy photo! Now I want yellow again. I love the tiles, too ... was thinking of similar for a hall bath.

We are headed up this weekend, where i can look at everything in situ. I noticed, looking at the survey today, that I was being to simplistic about the house's orientation (ie, in New England, the ocean is to the East). From there i was extrapolating the light in the rooms, but I was wrong because the ocean is not just E at the house, but NE. Result, my kitchen is due N and my LR is due S.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

The softer looks are nice, and there are a couple I could entertain doing myself, but my first thought was to pair the yellow fridge with what would essentially be a black and white kitchen -- or more to greys than black, and then bring in blue with touches of a stronger blue -- a cobalt to navy in accessories, counter appliances, some glass pieces, backsplash accent, as a color in a fabric on chairs or a WT, etc. Look at the left third of the art Jterri posted -- that gets close to the palette I'd try.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I was thinking that coasts are often chilly and gloomy, and occasionally for some time. It'd be nice to have a room or two that were particularly inviting in those conditions.

Some of the pictures already posted show yellow moving toward orange, the bowl, in landscapes of course--on the wall and outside, including sunrises and sunsets. This could relate the kitchen to orangish accents in other rooms, assuming you went orange instead of pink or something else entirely, of course, just using more of it in the kitchen than elsewhere.

Or, small amounts of orange in kitchen art and accents could be a bridge to a larger yellow presence in the kitchen. That fridge is a very nice yellow. I had a newer one once and still miss it.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian kitchen

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Love that last pic...warm and cool at the same time.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

The pic is from houzz--if you click on it, there are other pics from the same kitchen.

Here is a beach cottage, more of an unfitted look, in the turquoise/blue range:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Peachtree City Architects & Designers Historical Concepts

Click on it, too. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie, MamaGoose, thank you! These are very helpful!

I just posted more "before" photos and layout thought in kitchens.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0921512411722.html

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Mtn, I canâÂÂt remember where I got those colors but will look. This morning I was thinking about some of the things you have said in the past about color along with some of your current preferences and that got me to thinking of my father in-law. He was a very proper Englishmen who dressed in what I called teabag colors, grayed or browned down versions of colors. Everything he wore was muted. He always looked so nice. So, here is another color palette for your blue/green/gray stove or your pale yellow frig. This is another way at looking at the blue/yellow baby shower colors too (that I donâÂÂt like) but maybe there is a different way to look at it.

• bpath
    10 years ago

If my grandmother's 1947 house is any indication, yellow and grey was a '40s combo. The first walls I remember in late 50s were yellow, with a yellow and grey checkerboard floor (kind of speckled, you know the old asbestos (probably) tile), with white and grey "marble" laminate countertops, complete with the metal edge! Later the walls changed color, were wallpapered, I think there was yellow wallpaper, too. Oh, I remember! Yellow, grey, white, and maybe black, diamonds wallpaper in the separate breakfast room. Not recommending that look, though. Ooh, my head hurts from remembering that far back (or maybe it's the wallpaper...)

• fromflorida
    10 years ago

I am late to this party, but I was posing the question of painting my own wood trim in another post. The answer to me from everyone was "paint it." So here's my unasked for advice for your kitchen -- I would paint the wood a lovely white and then go with the yellow refrigerator if that's what strikes your fancy -- they are all adorable. I would personally stick with the black and white checkerboard floor, and bring in yellow and blue elsewhere -- in sunflowers, in blue Fiestaware bowls, wall paint, etc. Black and white is always winning, and then you can bring any other colors in that you want.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Mama goose- perfect pic.
    Notice how there isn't any other yellow included in that kitchen, Mtnrdredux? :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Loribee, and MamaGoose,
    That is one fab kitchen. Now all I need is 12' ceilings, floor to ceiling windows, shiplap and rough hewn floors. : )
    Hey, is that house for sale?

FromFL, I agree, the easiest thing is to paint the trim. But with four doors, then that leads you into the whole house. My first choice is to try to find something that works with the trim; we will see!

BPathome - Hmm, maybe a grey and white floor with yellow ...

Jterri - i love the term "tea bag colors"!

Here is a link that might be useful: Next q; where to FIT the fridge!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Okay...maybe too many colors, but why not the green and pink, you stated in the OP? Mix in some turquoise and light yellow...it's all pastels and it's fun! As you said, this is a vacation home...and white appliances will let you change your mind, whenever you decide you want to try something different. I think it would be SO much fun to do a kitchen that suits YOU and no one else :)