Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Paint color w/ this drapery in FR?

gardenwebber
15 years ago

Hi everyone - I would love some advice on what color I should paint my FR. I am attaching pics of the drapes I would like to use. The reddish/rust color is a pinch pleat (they look ruby red on my computer, but they are more of a burgundy, or even rust depending on how the light is hitting it) and the lacy piece is a light tan color and would be used as a sheer under the pinch pleat. I was thinking of putting the pinch pleats on rings then hanging the shear under that on a simple rod. They both hang down to the top of our baseboards.

I like Benjamin Moore paint, but am open to SW or other brands. You can see in the second photo I am showing a swatch of the carpet color we are having installed. Also, FWIW, we have green furniture (an earthtone green) but of course, furniture is always subject to change.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice.

Comments (15)

• work_in_progress_08
    15 years ago

DD used the same colors you are showing in her recently reno bedroom. The burgandy is her duvet color and her carpet is very similar to yours. We tried several gold hued colors once the rug was laid (room empty). Duvet and accompanying accessories were already purchased. Many of the golds looked too grey or taupe, just didn't play well with the rug. SW Blonde is a great neutral. The combination is stunning.

I liked the blonde so much that I decided to repaint my entire second floor. All windows on the second floor face north, so SW Blonde reads light gold during the day, a bit darker in the evening.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am worried that blonde may be too gold. But maybe gold is a good thing? There isn't a whole lot of light in there. We do have two large windows, one facing E and one facing W, but they are both under covered porches/patio.

Does the carpet look good? I am afraid of it being too dark, but I have 3 kids and a cat so was thinking it would be forgiving. (hardwood is not in the budget)

Any other takers?

• parma42
    15 years ago

If you're worried about the Blonde being too gold, you could try something like Ben Moore Wilmington Tan or lighter with Powell Buff.

The carpet looks fine but the important question is if it reads cool or warm. If cool, then I'd look for a neutral that had a bit more green in it.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am terrible with that question: warm or cool? Is there an easy way to tell? I know that there the carpet is tan and brown, marbled with many other colors. So, I think it can go either way. Cool colors are green/blue, warm are red/yellow, correct? It really has neither "cast" to it.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Put some paint chips next to it. Tans can be warm or cool. You'll see what it looks like if you put a few samples near by.

Just grab a ton of whatever BM or SW strips. Of course, that won't be as good as a whole wall painted but it's a starting point.

I'm a gold lover but in our last house we had a very cool toned carpet and fireplace brick. The gold just never looked quite right. Now we have hardwood so our problem was solved and the gold looks great.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok - so, warm carpet = warm paint color, and cool carpet = cool paint color. Got it!

I will pick up some strips and experiment some.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Went to the paint store(s) and picked up some chips. Just passing on another pic. Sorry it is so big, but I wanted the colors to show.

I know, computer colors vary, but I am having a really bad time picking a wall color and carpet color. Actually, I don't mind any of these colors on their own, but when you put them next to eachother I get overwhelmed.

{{!gwi}}

BM Blonde (6th block of color over) is nice, but does it make my panels (tan lace) look too drab? Which carpet would go nicely with it? I like SW Powell Buff (2nd color over) too, it seems to look ok with my panel, but which carpet would it match? Next to the carpet I like (3 over, 3 down) it seems to make the carpet look grey.

Does anyone care to throw anything at me that might help me make this decision? Maybe a different wall color?

The colors I am considering are Wilmington Tan, Powell Buff, and Ivoire or Blonde. They are 1, 2, 5 and 6 from left to right in the color strips respectively.

(sorry for all the confusing ways I am pointing out colors. I tried to do a macro shot so the words showed, but it didn't work too well.)

Thanks in advance.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Ha, ha...believe it or not, I've had all four of those paint samples on my walls at one time. Don't even ask how many quart testers I bought.

OK, now that you've got all the colors together, it seems your carpet choice is a bit to the cool side and with the possible exception of Powell Buff, which I've seen lean cooler than the other paint chips, your paint selections are warm.

Remember that we can only see what out monitors allow, but I'm liking the Wilmington Tan with the carpet that's two down on the first row.

Did you ever answer how much light you get? Do you have moldings and if so, what color?

I have Blonde and Ivoire. Both are pretty yellow, much more than the chips show. My great room is SW Stonebriar which is very close to Wilmington Tan and looks great with whatever I put next to it.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Before I hang it up for the night...if you like the carpet you selected and don't want the walls to be gold, you could always go with a color like SW Whole Wheat or a comparable Ben Moore color.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I have Wilmington Tan with burgundy carpet and the walls appear have a greenish tinge to them. I'm not crazy about my combination.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma - I do have wood stained mouldings. You can see them in my OP at the top.

As far as light goes, I have a East window and a West window, but they are both under covered porch/patio, so the light isn't super strong.

Parma - do you mean the carpet that is two across or two down? (I know you said "down" but you used the word "row" which confused me. LOL!)

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma - I do have wood stained mouldings. You can see them in my OP at the top.

As far as light goes, I have a East window and a West window, but they are both under covered porch/patio, so the light isn't super strong.

Parma - do you mean the carpet that is two across or two down? (I know you said "down" but you used the word "row" which confused me. LOL!)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Forget row, lol, two down from the far left as we see on our monitor.

Jane talks about a green cast. That's what I meant about a cool color carpet. It can do strange things to wall color.

Do you have the same nice wood moldings by your floor? I have to admit to some bias here. I just love warm colors and would always pick out that combo. I'm just afraid if you start doing all beige, it will look bland.

Have you looked in the gallery? You can really get an idea of what you love by browsing there. So many rooms to see. Most of them list paint colors, also.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll check out the gallery. Yes, I have the same concerns about it being brown on top of brown on top of brown.

So, this morning I am looking with fresh eyes again and I like the 2 over, 3 down carpet. Next to that, would Blonde make the carpet look too drab? Or, would the carpet make Blonde too yellow? Or, is this a good thing to avoid that green cast Jane talked about?

• parma42
    15 years ago

The example with the furniture in it is an old picture of my kitchen painted in Blonde.

The other pic is one I found in the gallery of SW Believable Buff. It's on the same strip as the darker Whole Wheat (I think).

The Blonde has more yellow/gold in it and the other strip is more neutral.

If you like BM Wilmington Tan but want a smidgen more gold then you can try the SW Stonebriar that's in my great room. I don't have a pic that shows its true color, which is a goldish caramel.

Another place I would search for pics would be in the dining room section of the gallery. You'd probably find more burgundy drapes there.