Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Black or cream island?

User
9 years ago

I've been talking about this forever now. We're finally about ready to start this project and I'm excited. We pushed it back because of summer and also dealing with the produce from a large garden.

I'm thought I wanted a black island, very possibly distressed. Is that the way to go or cream? We'll be tearing the paneling off and adding bb to match the backsplash. I'll be filling in the grain before I paint.
Edited to add - I really like contrast and I don't think there's going to be enough if I use black. Can't really picture white/cream.

Details:
-ss appliances - GE Cafe - will be ordering next mo.
-The cabinets will be stained this color - GF Brown Mahogany.
Here's the color. I want the grain to still show.
{{!gwi}}

-Walls will be painted BM Shaker Beige.
-We're removing the section over the sink, adding a recessed can light, and replacing the cabinet crown with a slightly larger size.
-We're adding bb backsplash and that will be painted the wall color. We'll remove the countertop splash.
-We're tearing the paneling off the island and adding the same bb.
-What happens with the stools & corbels will depend on island color.
-Here are the new fabrics. The toile will be a valance over the sink and plaid will go on the chairs. They're hard to photograph and appear brighter here. They're mainly a rust/rusty rose color.
{{!gwi}}

-I'd like to change the lights out in the future, but they're fine for now.
-Art will change.

Kitchen
Counters and floors are brown with pink undertone. The table is beige with a pink undertone.
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Here are some visuals that hopefully help you help me.
Black/ distressed
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

White/cream
{{!gwi}}
This wall color looks closer to Shaker Beige.
{{!gwi}}

The electrician's coming next week, carpenter comes after that, then I stain, stain, stain.

I know I can always repaint it later, but I'd really rather not! I'm going to be done with projects for a while after this.

Thanks!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 0:19

Comments (19)

• zippity1
    9 years ago

distressed black......go for it

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

If the perimeter is going to be dark, and the island is not going to be the same stain, then I would go for the contrast and do a light island. And in my opinion, don't do any glaze either. Even here in Central PA it has run its course.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I'll throw a third option of keeping it stain. I think it may bug me though that there are two different styles of bb in the same area.

Bee - Oh, no glaze for me! Light as in cream or a color?
    I do like contrast and I am a little concerned there isn't going to be enough for me with a black island. That's why this topic is coming up again, but I'm having a hard time picturing it cream.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 22:50

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Not feeling the black at all, given your fabrics, floor, table...I think cream is a better option.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Black, definitely, to add to the sophistication of the combo you've picked for the other elements.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Black. I think with the pink undertones you'll have trouble with getting the right color cream.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Cream....you need a contrast from the dark cabinets otherwise it's a whole lotta dark.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I can't make up my mind :). Save that for last - after your cabinets are stained; after the backsplash is finished; after the new appliances. Then get some cheap black and white paper (poster sheets would work fine) and tape them to the island. You might even find a cream wrapping paper to get the feel of a cream shade. Then decide!

I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to seeing your cabinets!

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I would like the idea of cream . I think it will lighten things up.
    in this photo that you posted I think it looks nice seeing the contrast. Also in this photo I like the faux roman shade. I think it looks more up to date than a valance.
    I am not a sewer and I made a similar one in about 1.5 hours, very easy.
    Just my 2 cents.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Guys. Valid points above that I think have all come to mind at some point and made me unsure. Does this help? Here's a photo showing the other side.
    Floor looks a little cool here.
    {{!gwi}}

I think creams look better with browns and my trim is white and I think something too creamy will look weird, but I don't want it as white as my trim. Maybe an off white? The white in my flooring and counters appears to be an off white with a gray undertone.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lyban - I do like that photo. I agree about the roman. I was thinking about other styles of curtains. I'll have to look up instructions. I believe I only bought two yards of fabric.

Oh, another point I wanted to mention, my laundry room is right off the kitchen and the cabinets are white (w/ bb). Other than that, the wood's stained throughout pretty much the rest of the house.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I wonder if a lighter version of the wall color might work on the island? Shaker Beige at 50% or 25%, maybe?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sueb - Hmmm..yes, also something I considered. Can you get samples mixed like that?

I also thought about maybe using BM Muslin since it's lighter, but still has a red undertone. I've heard it lean cool at times.
    BM Muslin
    {{!gwi}}

And also thought about a pale gray.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

Love your fabric choices! I think black would be too dark, cream would look odd since you have white woodwork and your island is so close to the basement door etc.

So, if it were me, I'd paint it the light tan/taupe color that is in your plaid and somewhat in the back ground of the toile. To me, this color is darker than a cream so it won't look so stark and I think it will tie everything together nicely. Maybe it's the same as shaker beige? I do like the Muslin color if it matches your fabrics. On the other spectrum, I think painting the island the darker color in the toile would be nice too.

If you don't like that idea, I'd stain the island the same color as your cabinets. Are you going to have to strip all varnish off your cabinets or are you doing a gel stain?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Definitely cream. Love your fabrics. Try BM halo

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caroleoh - Thanks! That's actually a pantry door. That will change someday too when we gut the kitchen. (years from now. :) )
    That color in the toile is a khaki color with a green undertone. My LR is Shaker and I think the toile still looks really nice with it. There's also cream in it. I think the Muslin looks nice with the fabrics too.
    If darker, what were you thinking?

I really like the fabrics and wish I could get them to photograph right. There a rust color in my rug and the plaid also has green gray and blue gray stripes that pick up those rug colors nicely.

I'm using the General Finishes gel stain, but I still may strip them. I'm really hoping I like the look of the test pieces without. The photo I posted above showing the color, they just lightly sanded.

Mtnrdredux - Thank you! You know, Halo is that one color I always think I have a sample of and I don't! It's Pale Oak I'm thinking. That's one I need to get.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

Will that wall where the pantry is be painted Shaker beige? So your LR and kitchen will be the same color?

I think visually you need to tie the island into something already in the kitchen or it's going to look like it doesn't belong.

So maybe you stain it to match cabinets which is a safe option. Or, I'd consider finding a color - maybe it's the light or dark taupe/olive in the fabric and paint the backsplash and island the same color.

I'd put the fabric/a wall paint sample/cabinet stain sample together and take a picture of all three on your countertop. I think you'll be able to see how they will mesh together and either the three will be fine or you'll find you want that additional color for the island and backsplash.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caroleoh - Yes that wall will be painted too - the whole area out to the side entrance. And the kitchen, DR, and LR will then all be the same color.

"I think visually you need to tie the island into something already in the kitchen or it's going to look like it doesn't belong."
    I agree.

Never thought about painting the island and backsplash the same color like that. Hmm..

I have already paired all the samples together and like it. I thought I was set on black, but think it'll feel too dark. Part of my problem is I feel like I need to go with a blue gray if I go with a color since the flooring and countertop are the fixed hard surfaces in the room and have that color in it so I don't look like I'm ignoring it. I know green compliments red though.

I need to get the cabinets stained first before I can get a real feel for it. I was just curious what others though. Hopeful a light bulb would go off.

I'm having the island bb replaced the same time I'm having the backsplash and new crown installed so I'll be committed to paint at that point. I think it will really bug me to have two different looks of bb. - The paneling on the island is flat with grooves.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For picture reference here's BM Halo.
    {{!gwi}}

A darker option
    BM Silhouette
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}