Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nee_suero

$14 Million with room air conditioners

suero
9 years ago

But a spectacular view of Central Park. It would probably be priced higher if it were on the east Side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Rodger's apartment for sale

Comments (20)

• louislinus
    9 years ago

And there are 7 pics, 5 of which are the living room. No kitchen, no baths, no beds?

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I can only imagine how much more beautiful it was before the woodwork eas painted.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I had to look for the a/c! You have a good eye!

I agree with Just . . .wow to think about the woodwork in its natural state!

I could do without the recessed lighting. We had it put in the L/R even though I swore I'd never do it . . .and I regret it, but it's the "best" solution we could come up with. If I had a budget for $14 million, I'd work out something better!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I can only imagine how much more beautiful it was before the woodwork eas painted.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Thanks forboystoo! It is so much more pretty with the wood unpainted.
    Sorry for all the extra posts. I was on my tablet last night, but still have no idea how the repeat postings happened.

• zeebee
    9 years ago

You wouldn't believe how many of the pre-war coops and condos in the city have window a/cs. Getting permission from the board to put in a/c is difficult, especially if you don't have roof rights, because there's no place to put the compressors/condensers.

And there are 7 pics, 5 of which are the living room. No kitchen, no baths, no beds? - Louslinus

Brown Harris, the listing broker, is old-school white-shoe. We sold an apartment through them several years ago and our broker told us they try not to take bathroom or bedroom pictures because those spaces are too personal! If they can fill out a listing with enough shots of the living room, dining room, terrace, library, whatever, they'd prefer to do that and show the bath/bedroom space on the floorplan instead. Interesting, huh?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's very common in old buildings to have window units, and even in new construction in NYC it seems pretty standard to have individual through the wall units for each apartment or each room in the apartment.

I lived in a complex in Philadelphia that had a central unit for 69 apartment units and the problem is if something happens to the AC it effects everybody. They were considering going to individual units for each condo, but there were problems because of the historical nature of the buildings and the exterior.

My niece is moving into a new construction midrise and they have individual units within the apartments but they are ceiling units with venting to the outside.

It's possible that the woodwork in Rodgers's unit was always painted. so it may have a paint-grade quality underneath. There was elaborate woodwork in my building from the 1830s and the 1890s and there was only one room of dozens in which it was stained and not painted right off the bat.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Ever wonder how many people would advise to "paint over that ugly pine paneling"?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

In this forum? More than 50%, but I don't think they would call it "ugly", they would call it "dark and dated". Dated tends to trump all, so relative beauty is irrelevant.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Sorry, yes, you're so right: "Freshen up" the "dated" paneling.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I don't normally care for knotty pine, but in the above case, it's charming and I would never think to cover it with paint. Now if it were knotty pine tongue and groove and not paneled, I might consider it.
    There's a big difference between paneling and paneled walls.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I think it is lovely and would be quite content to live there if I had to live in a big city.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

There is gorgeous pine, above, and ugly, most mainstream older tract houses, which do usually look better painted.
    I love knotty pine...would have more of it if I could find good stuff that I could afford.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

• lee676
    9 years ago

> I could do without the recessed lighting. We had it put in the L/R even though I swore I'd never do it . . .and I regret it, but it's the "best" solution we could come up with. If I had a budget for $14 million, I'd work out something better!

I'm fine with the recessed lighting, but why with all the elaborate staging of a $14mil home did they not replace the burnt-out light bulb over the piano?

I've lived in a highrise apartment without decent central air conditioning, and I found the best solution was a "portable" air conditioner that sits on the floor in an inconspicuous area, and inhales and exhausts air through a pair of 4" diameter flexible ducts that lead to a slightly open window. I built attachments to the end of the duct tubes that changed the round 4" ends to a flatter 6" x 1" rectangular piece that required the window to be open only 1" rather than 4", making it unnoticeable from the outside. Unlike the window in this photo, my window slid open sideways, so the intake/exhaust insert ran vertically along the left side and was easy to hide behind open curtains

{{!gwi}}

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Yes but the condensate (water that is removed from the conditioned air) has to drain somewhere for all A Cs. This can be a problem on a unit like above.

As for standard residential type of split system units, there is a maximum physical distance between the indoor blower and the outdoor condensing unit that must be maintained or the laws of physics take over and it won't work. So a 3 or 4 story building can theoretically use this type of AC, but not much higher than that. And again, the condensate would need to drain inside somewhere off of the evaporator coil inside. Newer apartments have a small mechanical closet with a small water heater and the evap/blower there, and there are drains. Older buildings with central boiler hot water systems don't typically have a way to drain condensate from individual apartments if users want to add a split system AC to their apartment.

The european style mini split A Cs will likely take over North America in the next 20 years, in particular for high rise buildings that already have boilers. These have a smaller outdoor unit that can be place on a balcony or hung from the building. And little or no ductwork inside. They also are very energy efficient. Look on house hunters international, and that is what you will see in places like the carribbean and in Europe

And lastly, the amount of electrical circuitry needed to run an AC is not always available in older buildings or houses. And it can be difficult or impossible to add more to an individual apartment.

So the window unit is sometimes the best that can be done.

And yes, this is what I do for a living :-)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"Although many of the decorative plaster moldings, along with the ornate
    painted wood balustrades and built-in bookcases in the living room, are
    not original" ... so much for "original woodwork".

In the late 1920s and 1930s, painted woodwork was fashionable, stained wood was what granny had in her dark old mansion. That would have been a sleek modern building.

• C Marlin
    9 years ago

I'm a big fan of mini-splits, I had them when I lived in Mexico and am happy to see them coming to the USA. Some are hung nicely with a cover, you don't even know it is an AC unit.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I was struck by how less grand, less formal the home with the knotty pine looked. If we buy their no bedroom, no bath pictures due to being "too personal" what's the excuse for the no kitchen? If bathrooms and kitchens sell--well it appears many may make a visit for nothing.