Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Three more weeks till my second "date"

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

Okay so the house I have a crush on just called and we are going out in three weeks. I don't want to seem easy, but we are going to spend the whole weekend together.

We are renting the house for the weekend (remember that goofy show where househunters slept in the house?) ... it's available at the end of this month, so why not).

I promise to post photos when I get back. I'm so excited. I have been creating room plans and planning renovations, even though I don't have any measurements, was in the house about 10 minutes, and oh, yeah, I don't own it. I don't even know if we will opt to bid on it.

I think this is all GW's fault. It's like trying to diet when you watch FoodTv all day.

Comments (20)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Haha, I hear you loud and clear, been there, done that. Don't salivate on the floors and don't hate yourself in the morning lol.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Oh, you are just too funny! We're looking at coastal property on the other side of the country from you, but you're getting me all hyped up now, too, and we haven't even gone out once yet! Keep us posted!

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Oh, you are just too funny! We're looking at coastal property on the other side of the country from you, but you're getting me all hyped up now, too, and we haven't even gone out once yet! Keep us posted!

• chispa
    11 years ago

Practice abstinence ... leave your checkbook at home!

• loribee
    11 years ago

I remember that show!! Good luck....& enjoy!

• rafor
    11 years ago

Don't do anything I wouldn't do!!!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

You are such a houssssy:) Haha, get it? Have fun on your second date!

• eandhl
    11 years ago

You certainly aren't a cheap date. :)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

You naughty girl.

Did you know if you are buying an original Wyeth painting, there is a house located across from his house (well, were he lived before he died) where you can spend the night with the painting. This lets you see it in all types of light. Kind of takes looking at paint samples in different light to a whole new level.

• kitschykitch
    11 years ago

Is this the house with the Madonna statue?

Are you separated from your first house (s)? Or are you looking for a house on the side?

Be sure to have a mold inspection.

Was this the older but kind charming guy, or the newbie?

One could go on and on.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Well at least you're waiting for the 2nd date before you sleep with it! But does it know your intentions???

;)

• User
    11 years ago

Yes, very naughty, going all the way on the second date, and before you've even broken up with your existing boyfriend (lake house)!

Find out about the new love's parents (builders and architect) and see the family history (original blueprints) if possible before committing to a long term relationship. :-)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see the pictures.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

What a great idea... If you get engaged, be sure to let us know!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I can totally relate!! I just drove what may be my next car yesterday!! Loved it!! I'm trying to say to myself "wait til after Christmas" but it's hard, very hard. I dunno....I am not the world's most patient person. You know that old 'just looking' thing never works out.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am taking a camera, my laptop with my Sketchup, and a few tape measures!

Sujafr - OOh, do tell? Whereabouts are you looking? Have you just been looking online for now? Have you investigated property insurance yet? I have to look into that, I expect it is pricey...

Best - will do!

Fun - Of course! I am counting on collective GW wisdom for this project if we go forward.

KSWL - LOL, I should check out the " 'rents"! And who can time boyfriends perfectly?

Annie - I am trying to play it cool.

Kitchy - Ha ha no. I was able to convince everyone that location and view trumped condition, so we nixed the new house and this is the old charming one.

Bee -- can you imagine anyone ever decides against buying the Wyeth?

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

View and location do trump, but always triple your estimate for renovating old charming places...(we thought doubling was enough til previous experience). Hope you find one that's a keeper! Dates can be very revealing.

We're looking along the Oregon coast so far (opposite side from you), and just online for now, so still in the courting stage, but you're motivating me to move this relationship along faster. A beach house just sounds so appealing!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sujafr,

Oh yes I hear you. Our first house was a 1902, and the house we are in now is a 1904. The first one we did stuff to over time. This one we decided to try to make perfect in one fell swoop. I think it cost almost 3x what we first estimated. Some of it due to site conditions, some due to project creep, but a lot of it GC "estimation" error.

The only "new house" we've owned is our lakehouse. It was a year or two old when we bought.

But you know what new houses just never make my heart go "pitter pat". Part of it is the setting; mature landscaping is hard to replicate. And that is so often a big part of the charm.

I'd love to see your listings and see what the other coast (but I myself am not sure how to post a photo that does not lead back to an actual listing?)

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

You nailed the renovation costs issues exactly! It's the charm of those that get you though, and I share the love of mature landscaping. We've mainly lived in new, but have done two renovations that included all of the above issues...all because we liked the locations each time.

I wish I could say we've found some beach listings out here that make my heart go pitter pat, but while the view does, so far the houses in the beach house budget just leave me wishing I could transplant one of the cottages we saw along the New England coast and put them over here. I'm glad you've found one that excites you, and I'll keep haunting the MLS.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The architectural vernacular of the New England coast is quite charming, as long as it is pre 1940 or post 2010! In between, I see a whole lot of bad MCM and some very unfortunate 80s stuff where it is all about volume and not very human scale.

Maybe I will post my "rejects" --- in any event, keep us up to date on your search, too, Sujafr ... it's a lot of fun to peak into the process.