Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum color for front door

Posted by jamie81 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 22:16

My house is gray with white trim. I would like to paint my entry door a nice plum color. Does anyone have any suggestions for a subtle plum color? Something deep, not bright if that makes any sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum color for front door

I am searching for a plum color for my dining room. I am a Behr fan so these are Behr colors:

Aubergine N100-7(a very deep shade)
Eclectic Purple PPU17-20 (from the Ultra line and it is brighter that Aubergine)

o

I painted a wall in my library Martha Stewart Purple Elderberry. HD will still mix her colors...

o

I have a purple door, so I've done quite a bit of testing of purple/plum shades.

Try:

Sherwin Williams Mature Grape
Sherwin Williams Plum Brown (for a darker shade of plum)
Benjamin Moore Purple Lotus

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Lotus

o

I have a friend who has an Eggplant color front door~it's really pretty, especially w/the purple pot of posies! Lol

o

A co-worker just chose Benjamin Moore's Black Raspberry for his front door. Looks like a lovely deep color.

(If only my HOA would allow a little variety -- each street has its special color palette. (some share, but still...) ALTHOUGH ... I'd hate to be the one who gives directions to my house as "When you see the hot-pink house, I'm the one to the left of it."

o

Farrow and Ball's Brinjal or Pelt,

I feel about FnB the way I do about Chanel cosmetics. I trust their sense of color so that I feel I almost cannot make a mistake if I chose from among their limited palette.

On the other hand, there are lot of mistakes awaiting me in a BenMoore fan deck!

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: brinjal or pelt

o

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to start collecting samples.

Bluemoon, the purple lotus looks nice. I actually have the plum brown on one of my walls, and I love it. I think it might be more purple than I want for the door though.

o

Another vote for F&B "Brinjal" (or "Pelt").
Another choice for something soft and light
that doesn't scream purple is BM "Cinnamon Slate".

o

I just did my dining room in BM Velvet Cloak. Oh my...it is very dark and delicious. You know the eggplants that look black, but really are a deep purple? That is the color. It's from the new Color Stories collections.

I'm having a bit of difficulty photographing this room. Here are some pics...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Bee, that color is stunning as is the room! I will put it in my inspiration folder. Did you have difficulty finding drapes? I am trying to find a print fabric for re-covering the chairs and am not having much luck. Burgundy is everywhere but not dark plum.

o

corgi, they r from jcp. "midnight purple" is the color.

o

hi - I am not sure if this color is considered plummy - but we have our front door painted SW Grapy - it is a low key, greyish purple.

o

F&B Brinjal looks really nice, but not available anywhere nearby, and so out of my price range.

I have a list though. Love the BM Velvet Cloak. And their purple lotus. I will also get SW Grapy and Mature Grape. And Behrs Aubergine.

Thanks so much!

o

FYI, Your local paint store can mix you any color, including FnB, if you give them the name and number, in your base paint of choice.

Some would argue that the color direct from FnB is superior, but I don't think most people could tell the difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here