Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

UPDATE Finally finished Nursery. Before & After Pics (pic heavy)

Lyban zone 4
13 years ago

First off I want to thank all of you here for the help you gave me in trying to decide

on paint colors and fabrics and ideas for the construction of the window seat.

A special thanks to PainterGirl for your advice re: ceiling and medallion.

My daughter and I are very happy with the results and have finished just in time

since the baby is due in about 10 more days.

My husband built the small bookcases on either side of window and the bench.

We went back and forth so many times over fabrics but are very pleased

with what we chose and the work that our seamstress did.

Especially the glider ( I included a before and after photo of this)

First photo is before we started

{{!gwi}}

Then when the curtains and cornice were taken down

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Then with the construction of built-ins completed and painted

and the chandelier up.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Then the Roman shades up and the window bench in.

{{!gwi}}

This room is very small as you can see, so the cupboard has

shelves built in along with one hanging rack and a shoe bag on door

for all the little things like hats, shoes and mittens.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Rest of the tiny room:

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

I really like the good job my seamstress did on the glider. Here is a before and after:

{{!gwi}}

Again a very big thank you for everyones help.

Comments (47)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

this is fabulous and any little girl should be thrilled to grow into this room and enjoy it now.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I'm horribly jealous :) Both of the baby and your talent in designing that room. Darling..and the glider...magnificant!!! It's a wonderful space to build many memories with your new baby :) Congrats!!!!

• kjmama
    13 years ago

Whoa! This is awesome!!! Can I move in? Will you be my mom?:) love the chandelier - I might steel that idea:)

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

Fabulous room with a lot of love !!

• donnawb
    13 years ago

What baby wouldn't want that room. Love the color choices with fabric.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Perfect. What child would not love that room to start life in.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love how you made it so functional but also so stylish. That glider is the first pretty one I have seen! The built ins around the window are great as well.
    Do you have the room's dimensions by any chance? I wonder if we could do something like that around the window when our little son wants his own room.

• fillagirl
    13 years ago

LOVE it. Great job on the built-ins and the window seat, I really like that. And love the colours & fabric in the room. Big pat on the pat, time to celebrate and wait for the new baby to make her entrance!

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

What a great room and a beautiful transformation! I love the ceiling and wall colors, the crown molding, and your fabric choices.

• les917
    13 years ago

Lovely! Lucky little girl! How nice that you were able to give them such guidance and help with the project.

Best wishes for an easy delivery and healthy baby, as the perfect beginning to a lifetime of joy and laughter and love for the new little family!

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I have never seen a glider look that good. What a great room.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Fabulous....best of luck to you and yours~

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Your nursery is magnificent! Good luck to you and keep us posted.

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful nursery! Awesome job!

• rafor
    13 years ago

How absolutely adorable! Love the fabric on the glider and it goes so well with the stripes. Love the built ins and window seat. Everyone needs a window seat. They are great!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

That's one lucky little girl! It's beautiful!
    You'll have to post again in 10 days with a different kind of picture!

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Lyban

What a fun and inviting space, lovely transformation!

Happy Labor Day!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

FANTASTIC!!!!!!! I love the colors that you chose!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

When I saw the heading of the topic I said to myself, "another brown and blue room or a pink and apple green room", both pretty and very popular.

To my surprise, this has to be THE prettiest nursery that I've ever seen. Not only that, the colors could stay as the baby gets older!

My son just had a baby girl last week and I'm passing this picture on to them!

What color is the red you used, or is it a dark pink? It looks orangy red which is just beautiful!

The stripes and flowers and ESPECIALLY those shelves around the window are to die for! Have you thought about submitting a picture to a magazine?

You took a small darkish room and made it appear larger, lighter and very airy which is so pleasing to the eye!

Would you do my bedroom? lol

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dianalo:
    The window wall dimensions are 92 inches wide.
    The window seat is 66 inches wide and the bookcases are 13 inches each.
    The depth of window seat is 15 inches.
    If you need more dimensions, ket me know. I am running out now but will be back later today.

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

Love it. I am sure you and your daughter must be thrilled!

• polly929
    13 years ago

Stunning!!! I have 2 daughters and had the pleasure of designing 2 baby girl nurseries, it was so much fun! I remember when you asked questions regarding this nursery, I am so glad you posted the finished pics.
    Best wishes on the arrival of the little princess!
    Just a word of warning, I don't want to rain on your parade, but is that a drop side crib? They are about to be banned in the US by the USPSC, and many have been recalled already. They pose a strangulation hazard to infants. I was totally unaware of this, and didn't think my crib was a problem, until the bottom part separated when I lowered it one evening to put my son in it. I am including a link about this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keeping Babies Safe

• pamelah
    13 years ago

Beautiful nursery! Lovely and inspired color choices. Best wishes for a smooth delivery and a joy filled time with your little girl.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I love it! The built ins and window seat are wonderful. Really, it's one of the prettiest baby rooms I've ever seen.

I'm happy to see the crib is empty except the mattress and sheet, too.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Oh Lyban, that is just gorgeous! I remember when you were in the planning stages. This has turned out great! Love everything about it! Here's to wishing you and your daughter nothing but happiness in the coming weeks! Best wishes!

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

That is the most charming nursery I've ever seen. Great job. That window seat is just wonderful! I love that it's girly without be froo-froo.

• megpie77
    13 years ago

Lyban-It's amazing! It looks like a designer pulled it all together. I especially love the ceiling color.
    I just have a couple of questions. My daughters share a small room and I love how you did built-ins around the window. I would love to do this but the heat register is right in front of the window on the floor. What did you do about your heat register? Also, do you like having hardwoods in the bedroom? I have them throughout, except in our kids rooms. I am worried about adding to the LOUD factor, but am sick of the carpet. We have a split level home which is why I believe our house is louder than others I know with wood floors.
    You've done a wonderful job and congrats on the soon to be here baby!

• natal
    13 years ago

It really is stunning! Looks like something out of a magazine.

• User
    13 years ago

Very nice! I'm sure your daughter is thrilled and excited to use it! Those shelves and window seat really made a difference in the room. :)

Did they nail the hanger on the back of the closet door? I'm trying to figure out how it's attached.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Cutest nursery EVER! Wow! Your children are obviously being raised by very creative, industrious parents who have marvelous taste. Outstanding job!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

See! wonderful things come in small packages( besides babies that is)

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Oh, wow! I remember when you were trying to figure out what to do about that closet door and how to best use the space... great job! The bookshelves and windowseat are wonderful. Congrats on a stunning success!

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

Love it! The colors are so fresh and the fabrics are wonderful. What fun you must have had!
    Diane

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just returned home to so many nice remarks on our nursery.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    I will try to answer a few that asked questions:
    Oakleyok: The paint colors were on walls BM AF-250, ceiling BM-AF-415, Builit-ins and Moulding: BM-OC 117 and the accent color is called Caviar from a Hardware store here in Canada, because I could not find a BM color that matched my coral like I wanted it to. So I found that one.
    Polly929: Thanks for the safety link, I went and read the articles and am trying to be very careful as to not put anything in crib with baby and even though the side does go down on crib, I have read that the biggest problem seems to be when the mattress does not fit properly. Our mattress is very snug in the crib. But thanks for the warning, I know you can never be too careful.
    Megpie77: We have an older house and all the ducks have been changed and the heater is actually not under the window anymore. But I am sure if you had one under that window you could just cut out a hole for it where I have put baskets.
    I wanted to put a small carpet in that room , just for looks but decided that the room would look too busy and be too hard to keep clean. I love being able to swifter clean the hardwood floors every couple of days without any carpets in way.
    Sheesharee: That shoe bag came with over the door clips but we decided to just screw the bag right into the door.Top and bottom so they do not move. The doors are the original doors from 1944 so quite durable.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Wow! What a fantastic nursery. I love the cheerful color scheme and especially the roman shades and window seat.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Oh, I didn't notice the ceiling this morning. That is fabulous!

• texanjana
    13 years ago

Love it!

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

LOVE IT!!!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Meg, if you're sick of the carpet why not lay down a colorful braided area rug on top of it?

Look at the rooms at PotteryBarnKids.com and you'll see lots of braided rugs. Braided rugs are so pretty in children's rooms.

My son and his wife put down a blue and white braided run on top of their creamy white carpet in their son's nursery and it really adds a lot of color without spending a lot of money.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oakleyoak,
    THat is a very good idea about the braided rugs. I hope Meg see this. I have often thought of laying down those rugs. Years ago I would have thought them very country decor but now I do not see them that way anymore. I think they add some color and give a nice look.

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

I love that nursery! You did an outstanding job, imo. So much storage.

• ciele
    13 years ago

Love it!!!! Congratulations on the new grandbaby

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Hi again,
    Thanks so much for the measurements! I think we can work something like that in our smaller bedroom and still have enough floor for his bed.... I will have to measure tomorrow when I don't risk making noise near the bedrooms (our sons sleep with their door open).
    He still wants to sleep with his brother, but they have made a few comments about having their own rooms soon. We can relocate the computer and set up the room as originally intended for him.
    Thanks again!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...really great job!!! Those book cases and the closet are such an excellent use of space and the glider looks wonderful. Don't forget to post baby pix. :-)

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I love it! The colors are great, and the window seat and built ins are wonderful.

Are the windows casement windows? Are they wood interior?

• shappy
    13 years ago

Beautiful room. Put as much time and effort into BREASTFEEDING! best start for your baby, more than the nursery . .

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kristinekr,

Yes, they are casement windows and the interior is a vinyl material , I think. They were put in by previous owner.
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Shappy: Yes, that is why the we have the glider. Thanks.