Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

What is essential for a comfortable guest room?

jjam
9 years ago

DH and I are still in the home where we raised our family, and plan to stay here awhile. All of the kids live out of town but come home with their spouses for visits, usually all at once.

The kid's bedrooms have been crowded and cluttered, especially now that their bedrooms now must accommodate two adults. I've sold some of their full size dressers and cleared away much of the clutter. Now that I have some space to work with, what would you consider important in these spaces since they are now essentially guest rooms for adults?

Comments (21)

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

Bedside table
    Easily accessible lighting
    Outlet access for charging cell phone
    Clock
    Place to set bags (like a bench or folding luggage bench)
    Place to hang clothes
    Extra blanket - easily accessible
    Box of tissues
    Nightlight (either in room or hallway or bathroom)
    Extra travel-sized toiletries kept in a basket or something (in case guests forgot something): toothbrushes, toothpaste, brush, razors, ponytail holders, shampoo/conditioner, lotion, sunscreen, etc.)

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Are you getting new beds? New pillows? If those items are from when your kids turned 8, then probably time to replace.

And my parents, bless their hearts, finally got wi-fi. That makes visiting about a million times easier.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We replaced one double bed with a queen, and the mattresses are new. We've also got new pillows, duvets, etc. The old dressers were large and took up a lot of space, so they are gone. In their place, I'm wondering if a small seating area or perhaps just a smaller dresser would be preferable.

Is some type of dresser a "must have" in a bedroom? Or would a nightstand and bed bench (for suitcases) be enough?

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

A place to store luggage (doesn't need to be in the room)
    Extra pillows
    Small fan

• bbstx
    9 years ago

A mirror. When multiple people are sharing a bathroom, a mirror in the bedroom gives a place to put on jewelry, dry and style hair, etc.

A hair dryer.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

1. Night stands on both sides of the bed with good reading lamps w 3-way bulbs
    2. No knickknacks; leave the space for your guest's things instead.
    3. Instead of a large, space-hogging dresser, how about a small one with a good-sized mirror above it? A nice, long dresser scarf would make a great (and safe) landing area for your guests' toiletries, etc. That alone might help keep your bathrooms less congested, as guests could do hair and makeup in their rooms instead. A nice-sized extension cord might also come in handy in each room.
    4. I keep a basket filled with sample-sized shampoos, small bottles of Tums, Advil, a hair dryer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc. in my guest room. They can carry it into the bathroom if/when they need it.
    5. I prefer matelasse coverlets on my beds, as my guests can feel comfortable taking a nap on them. They're also easy to wash after every guest visit.
    6. A closet with ample hangers and a place to keep luggage.
    7. A light blanket folded at the bottom of the bed for naps
    8. Keep pets out of guest rooms, as not everyone appreciates pet hair and dander. Many of my guests have mild pet allergies.

DH & I travel quite a bit and enjoy our trips to my many brothers and sisters' homes in other states. Another trip to one is coming up next week. As much as I LOVE my sis and her DH. As much as we enjoy our time with them and their beautiful,comfortable home, I wish so much that she would unclutter her guest room and invest in good reading lamps! I could care less if everything is coordinated. (Sigh) All we care about in a guest room is that it's clean, not too warm, with a comfortable mattress, good reading lamps and one that is uncluttered! Those darn knick knacks on every flat surface are so frustrating!
    Lynn

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Perhaps this thread on what NOT to do for overnight guests will be helpful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Guest room nightmare stories

• JamesMacklin
    9 years ago

I prefer a comforatbale bed with pillows, t.v. internet connection, bathroom.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A radio and tv. Guests should be able to listen to their favorite programs and watch their favorite shows w/o having to hijack your TV from you. It's helpful to you for the same reason, in fact.

A good, thick rug for quiet. and again, this is also to benefit the host.

And one thing every home should have, but surprisingly many don't: toilet brushes in every bathroom. Don't put guests in the embarrassing position of having to leave a dirty toilet.

And yes, bedding for changing temps. Fan is a great suggestion above.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 9:40

• lolauren
    9 years ago

Things I would like when I visit others:

* a flat pillow. I should always bring my own, but I forget at times. If would we lovely if there were a couple different types of pillows to choose from

* a fan for white noise and/or to cool the room down. I use my phone for white noise, if not, but it's not the same.

* bedding options. Layers of bedding.

* an easily accessible outlet for charging phone (and an end table to set it on.)

* water would be nice, but I am the only one I know who leaves bottles out for guests. (I also leave a snack basket out just in case they need something and are shy about going through my pantry.)

* Spare toiletries would be nice

* Room darkening shades

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I once read somewhere that you should really spend the night in your guest room(s) once a year or so to assure yourself that it is as comfortable as you would like it to be.

Important to me:

- a firm mattress

- non-down, firm pillows (although I travel with my own if possible as I have asthma/allerigies)

- curtains/blinds/drapes that can darken the room somewhat

- a bench/luggage rack for my luggage is appreciated as I don't feel the need to put my clothes in drawers unless the visit is a week or more

- closet space and coathangers, please! why do people forget about hangers?

- good bedside lamps with sufficient wattage for reading at night

- very few if any knick-knacks or bric-a-brack cluttering the surfaces or floor
    (I have to move over 15 black bear pillows, statues, stuffed bears, etc. when I stay in my friend's small guest room at their home in the mountains --- and NO, I am not kidding or exaggerating.)

Happy hosting!
    Teresa

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

A surge protector power strip so their electronics are protected when they are plugged in.

One of the most usable pieces of furniture in a guest room to me is a console table that is approximately desk height with a pull-up chair. With the addition of a mirror, the area can be used for personal grooming. The flat surface is a great drop zone for electronics and chargers and it can be used as an impromptu desk to get a bit of work done. I would rather have this than a dresser. If you have nightstands with drawers, that's sufficient to hold undies and a folded shirt or two.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I have a small dresser inside one half of the reach-in closet. Keeps it out of the way, luggage can be opened and sit on top, or be emptied and guests can put their things in drawers. You could do the same thing with a small dresser as one night stand, if you have the space.

Night light in bathroom. If the bathroom isn't attached, make sure there are nightlights in the hallway to light the way. If you live somewhere the power goes out frequently, then one of those plug in flashlights that turns on automatically when the power goes off.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

HereâÂÂs what you need for your guest room if you live in Florida⦠a disconnected ceiling fan, a closed off AC vent, sheer drapes, polyester sheets, thick poly filled comforter and flat pillows. These can be switched out for nicer things for the one in seven hundred and forty million peoples that you actually want to stay with you.

• Jules
    9 years ago

Hahaha jterrilynn. 'Tis true indeed.

Great suggestions here. Lolauren recommended water, which is something I also do and guests seem to appreciate. A couple small glasses and new bottles of water each day. I also like to add simple touches like a single flower stem in a vase on each night stand and maybe some chocolates. Think of the little details you enjoy at memorable inns or hotels and try to mimic those.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought of several things that appeared in several posts. Since we are repurposing these rooms for young adults, I especially need to provide multiple charging stations. The suggestion about room darkening shades is also an excellent one and I will look into that. Above all, I think I will have to sleep in these rooms in order to really see what they need. That's a great idea!

Once I get started I will be posting photos for suggestions on how to put together the collection of furniture that I have to work with. None of it "matches" but I'm hoping I can make the rooms interesting and comfortable without spending a lot of money.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I have many guests--my adult children who stay for long period of time (all summer, for example); colleagues from out of town; old friends. Most of my guests are wonderful and are happy with what I provide. But, since we're talking about adult children, in my experience, they are the worst guests. I just plain hate to go up to the second floor to see what havoc they wreak. Crap all over the vanity--while I have made undercounter space (lots of it) available for them, complete with metal baskets for storage; bathmats left on the floor instead of on the tub to dry, towels just thrown anywhere. I think it bothers me more these days for two reasons: I love, finally, having the house to myself and tidy and orderly--something that is hard to do when the kids are little. And, secondly, the kids aren't little anymore and I find it disrespectful that they don't keep the house the way it is when they find it. Yes, I've told them, nicely and otherwise, but it doesn't seem to help. I feel if guests are around for more than a few days, they ought to use the empty dressers to unpack and clear the floor and the suitcases of the maelstrom of belongings. Sorry, rant of the day.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Essential, a bed with nice clean linens and lots of pillows (not decorative).
    Nice to have, bedside table with lighting and carafe, chair, linens in a basket bedside for more or less covers, reading material, functional TV set, toiletry accoutrements, (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, poo-pourri, room deodorizer, a few chocolates, etc).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

jterrilynn, LOL. When we picked out mattresses for our guest room we made sure they were decent, but not too comfortable!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Vedazu, that would have been me years ago when I went to visit my parents. My general thought at the time was, This is my house. I did not think about my my moms persnickety ways, yes, she would say things, but I ignored them. She seemed more interested in the house than in me quite often and I didn't see why I had to do things any differently then the way I grew up.
    When dh and I would visit, we would put the queen mattress on the floor to sleep on. That was the only way it was tolerable to us. The room, was lovely btw. She had a fit! I made sure to put it back on the bed and make the bed, before we left the room each morning. Such a hassle. ( and why couldn't she buy a decent mattress?)

Anyway, when she was dying, at home in a hospital bed, I stayed over there for weeks at a time. I left the mattress on the floor. I think that might have killed her. Just kidding!

But it certainly was deeply upsetting to her to see a room so disheveled...even though she was literally dying! I was drained in all aspects but that was the least of my concerns, hauling the mattress back on the bed every day. I closed the door.

When I was a child, I was shocked to visit classmates who lived more casually than we did at home. No Sheets on a bed..that someone slept on an uncovered mattress....it shocked me.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Vedazu, you deserve a standing ovation.

I have a son and his wife whose house is so spotless you could literally eat off the floors (housekeeper 3 days weekly and son is constantly surveying for trash cans, garbage cans, specks on the floor, loose hairs on the sofa and is very peculiar about his house).

One other son is a decent housekeeper (he and wife both).

The other one has to pole vault through the house to get through it.

The one who does the least damage to my house is the middle one and the one who has to pole vault through their house offers to wash dishes or put things away.

The spic-and-span pair should pay a housekeeper for 2-3 days once they have spent a couple nights. It is unreal! Makeup all over the counters, shoes everywhere, dog bowls left behind, tipped over, bed left unmade, hair spray all over the mirrors. But their house is so clean, but they watch every move you make and if you eat (even at the table) they are looking to see if there are crumbs hitting the floor and they even talk about her siblings and his going to their house and making such a mess that it takes them days to clean it (I know that is not true but they just don't want guests). However, this pair is really a pair of pigs at my house.

I have never been anything but very tidy at anyone's house. In fact, I am so tidy at someone else's home that I neglect some of my grooming routine so as not to be a burden on power, water and time.

I do not want to be an unpleasant guest, and the reason I prefer staying in a hotel or motel when I am away from home, because I don't have to worry about my hair dryer, my face cream or curling iron being on someone's counter who does not want it there.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro