Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Help with pool tile selection

rockybird
9 years ago

I am demoing a newer pool because the plaster cracked and the coping is not up to quality. I have a new landscape design and I am pushing forward. The new pool surface will be a pebble sheen like product. I have to decide on a new pool tile. I do not want mosaic as that is difficult to clean. The house is very midcentury modern, and I'm trying to find something that is fitting. So far, I am stuck on a robin's egg blue, but I am wondering if I should use something less colorful. I was confident in this choice as the pool ctr. said it was used by an architect for a commercial pool, but the pics he sent arent this tile! They are a green long tile. The spa is tiled in a blue white mosaic. The water line tile should match this.

Here are pics of the demoed pool. It is 60 ft. long. The spa hovers over it. The spa may be wrapped in concrete with a stainless steel slot for water to pour out. The alternative is negative edge spa. There will be grass atthe part of the pool by the house and a professionally done sand blasted concrete patio and coping.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Robins egg blue tile (a little lighter than in pic) with surface color:

Tile needs to match mosiac that is in spa:

House from front for perspective (u shaped driveway is demoed; will become one way in and out (not pictured) and demoed area will become yard with concrete steps to entrance and patio).

Pool:

House by pool:

From inside (ugly pennisula removed- pool will be reframed as rectangle):

Hardscape:

Closeup of pool hardscape:

Comments (53)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys! Here is another pic...but I think you all are right...it's not the right color. Anne that turquoise is beautiful. Do you know who makes it? I think I like that much better.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

No I didn't keep track as I wasn't sure it was the right kind of tile...only selected it for the color.

Search for turquoise tile and you'll probably find it...I think it was Mexican...

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

Wow, would love to have a lap pool like that!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to two pool tile stores today. Almost everything looked much too decorative for midcentury pool. The only turqoise they has was the 2x2 glass tiles below. The 1x1 mosaic tile is in the spa and is underwater, so it wont be very visible. They are more turquoise than the pis show. I am not sure any of these is right? I dont think the cobalt blue is very mcm.

Thanks music teacher. I've been following your kitchen and it is looking great!
    Glass tiles:

Cobalt blue:

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Does the waterline tile need to match the spa? Could the spa be blue and the whole pool be something off-white/grey to match the pebbled finish?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL I didnt really think about it...but does not have to match. I think that is a great idea. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Fireclay has a color called "Turquoise." You could ask them if those are pool appropriate.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Daltile has a series called "Modern Dimensions" if you were interested in a larger format in various shades of gray.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Warning on that dark tile ... you will be cursing salt build up for ever!

Find something that is mottled and light, or vertical patterned multi-color, and suitable for pool rims. A stone-look to go with the liner would be nice.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Found this link, says okay for pool. They have many other colors, but this is sort of an MCM turquoise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay Turquoise

• teacats
    9 years ago

love turquoise!

found this pin on pinterest .... hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pin from pinterest

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Kitchendetective .... I LOVE that tile. It is expensive but I am going to order a sample anyway. I tried to call the local store listed to carry the tile but the guy was so rude! I will have to call the manufacturer.

Pamlipmsest - the greys are really nice. I will show these to the landscape architect also. Thank you!

Thanks Lazygardens! I did not think of that. I will not use any dark tile. Salt residue would drive me crazy.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I have a sample of the FC Turquoise here, which is how I managed to think of it. Emily Ritter is extremely responsive, as is everyone there. I am considering some of their tile for an indoor project.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered the tile plus some other colors as well. I love their tiles so much I thought maybe I could find somewhere else to put them also. You are right - they were very easy to deal with over the phone, unlike the tile store I called.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone - I'm updating this thread.... I got the fireclay turquoise tile. I'm not sure ... what do you all think? Should I try a turqoise tile from another brand?

I am beginning to think I will have to tear out the mosaic tile from the hot tub. I really dont want to if I can avoid it.

Turqoise:

Pic of pool as it stand now:

Two other colors:

Thank you

This post was edited by rockybird on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 22:00

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

On my monitor, none of those are really a good blend with the existing.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you pamplisest. I dont think so either. :(

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I thought the last one was ok.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Nope. None work. I'm thinking that you want a matte. Some of their crackle colors might match (Hawaiian Blue?), but I don't think of those as MCM.

Adding
    Last time I looked at this thread, different monitor, the mosaic tiles looked less blue and more turquoise. Now, they look bluer to me.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 9:37

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Nope none of those, but I love those colors.
    I definitely would agree no dark solid tile at water line. You will forever be fighting a mineral line.
    What about a blended color? A couple of links.
    http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/NationalPoolTileSevenSeas6x6PoolTileMediterraneanBluePA32/75452p1?gclid=CjwKEAjw2reiBRCaobK3udOj-Q4SJACXWyYmEbbrPX98BjAveBlX1DnelR-7Bf8OsbOL495ZCjb5GxoCZRfw_wcB

Wow long link.

Try this it shows many of them
    http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/6x6-solid-and-textured-pool-tiles/500s1

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighter blue

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think youre right, emmarene, but I dont think it looks very midcentury modern.

kitchendetective - they are more blue I think. Should I tear them out?

Thanks ravencajun. They have some nice tiles. I wonder if this one or a similar colored tile would work:
    http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/cepac-tile-6x6-pool-tile-glossy-aqua-blue-623/17579p1

argh! This is harder than I thought!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I would like to see some images of tiled MCM pools before advising tearing out tile. When were these installed, by the way, if you know?

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

rockybird, have you visited the pool forum? You will probably get lots of help there.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

the ones you've posted all look too dark to me. They'll also draw the sun in won't they (in AZ)?

going by the 1st pic in your 10/26 post @ 21:52 I'd go with something to match (as much as possible) with the 1st tile on the right, 1st row.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Kitchendetective - they all seem to use turquoise, mint or light blue, but when I look at the pics, it is hard to be certain. With all the blues in that mosaic, you would think I could fins something to match. It does look like there might be some turqoises.

Desert steph, that is a really pretty blue. I'll see if I can find that color.

I guess I'll hit some more tile stores.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I see that you were also contemplating lengthening the pool? It seems like the budget is kind of elastic on this project. Wouldn't it be relatively cheap in comparison to enlarging the pool to remove the tiles in the spa and just make the entire thing match the new pool surface?

I feel like the tail is starting to wag the dog a bit here, trying to match a newly reconstructed pool to a relatively small amount of existing tile that you don't even seem that attached to (?)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Sonoma Tilemakers does make some pool tile, but I am not sure what colors are available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoma

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Pamplisest, I was hopeful that I could find a waterline tile that would match the mosaic. I am personally not a big fan of the moasic that is installed, but it is not terrible.

The pool surface will be a pebble sheen like product. The pool contractor said most people prefer mosaic tiles in the spa surface as the pebble sheen product can be uncomfortable to sit in. If I tear out the moasic, I would probably replace it with another small tile, which could be solid. Do you think I should? If it will look better, I am not adverse to tearing it out and replacing with another tile. The spa is so visible from the house that I really want it to look good.

kitchendetective, I like the matte vista blue. I see they have dealers in town so I will call for a sample.

This post was edited by rockybird on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 14:48

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would probably match any tile to the color of pebble sheen surface so that the whole thing looked the same.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I second Pal's latest suggestion. Look forward to seeing it finished.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Palmipsest and allison - do you mean a white?

Pebble sheen surface will be white.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I like Pal's idea of a quiet tan or taupe to blend with the pebble sheen so the spa can POP with the mosaic blues.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Here is the picture you posted with the pebble sheen surface:

I don't see white. :) Unless you want the pool to stand out (like in the Pinterest pool someone linked above), I would stick to a neutral pulled from this sample.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Allison, you are right that pic does not represent the true color. Sorry! It is white background with color specks thrown in. I will try to take another pic tonight.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would pick something that blended with the overall color of the pebble surface. It doesn't looks as if it will read as "white" from a distance, more of a pale gray or something.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I think the main point is to try to stay as much as possible mid century modern since the house is a gorgeous MCM house. So I would be looking at those pools and see what you can draw from them. Going with a modern looking finish on all of it would diminish the MCM look.
    On your pool will you have a section of tile at water line or not? That is important.
    If you redo the entire pool and not the spa tile do you think you will regret it later? If so do it all now and get some tile you really like. If not leave the spa mosaic as is and find that elusive water line tile. You actually could use a white - ish water line tile and that might tie in the pool finish.
    Would not show mineral deposits as much as a dark tile, and would be cooler.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

The white and blue look nice together.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I just spoke with the pool ctr and I am going to tear out the spa tile and start over. I am sorry I didnt get a pic of the surface material...worked very late last night, but I'll post one tonight. I need to decide what color to use now. I am still leaning towards turqoise, but I'll put 1" tiles in the hot tub.

Ravencajun, those colors look very nice together. I think that's turqoise?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think for 1958, 2" tile would be a bit truer to period. Look at Daltile Permatones.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The tile you posted at 16:38 today not only looks best to me, it looks great!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kswl. That is the same one I posted throughout the post, but I am thinking of just tearing it all out and starting over. Maybe either a white or a turqoise, in 2" tiles, as pamplisest suggests?

Here is another pic of the surface material:

They are calling it white:

• olychick
    8 years ago

spam reported

• Pipdog
    6 years ago

bumpity bump...

Hey rockybird, what tile did you end up choosing for your pool? We are now selecting tile for our pool and having a hard time finding the right pool tile. I am considering SICIS - the 1x1. Would love to see a photo of your finished pool and the tile if you have one! thanks.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I went with regular cheap pool blue tile and arctic white pebble sheen.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Very classic! Except for the spa and the lack of an ice ledge (as far as I can see) it looks just like my uncle and aunt's 1960s pool in Phoenix.

rockybird thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! @jakabedy - It's hot here too! They even shut the airport down!

@writerblock - Yes it's in Phoenix. Thank you!

• westsider40
    6 years ago

It is gorgeous. It is a wonderful juxtaposition against the raggedy, rounded, non straight lines of the mountains.

rockybird thanked westsider40
  • Pipdog
    6 years ago

wow, what a setting! Love your pool.

• eld6161
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Rocky, we were passing through Phoenix last weekend. 115! My goodness, it felt like we were opening an oven door.

Everything turned out spectacular. I always enjoy your posts and all your projects.

Shout out to Pip, how is your reno coming along?