Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleigh_gw

My husband wants blue toile!

bleigh
11 years ago

I've not even begun to plan out my master bedroom, but my husband told me the other night that he would really love blue toile in our room! That's not the direction I would have gone in, but I do love toile and I do love my DH, and I would appreciate some ideas on how to execute this without being overly feminine. Personally, I prefer a very masculine bedroom with browns and red accents. My DH loved our last guest room that was a Rachel Ashwell shabby chic theme!! He's comfortably in touch with his feminine side : ). That IS a wonderful quality in man, especially when he's got two sweet girls to raise.

I plan on using the natural burlap curtains I made for our LR in our bedroom as I can't stand the thought of sewing another set for the third LR window. I'd love to find a way to incorporate more masculine patterns like herringbone or plaid with the blue toile. Would that make sense? I'm thinking we don't need alot of the toile. Maybe just the duvet/shams and some accents such a collection of plates on the wall. He did say he could live in a room full of it, but I can't so we're going to meet halfway.

Any ideas??

Comments (13)

• teacats
    11 years ago

Hope this link works -- to Pinterest and a load of wonderful inspiration photos ....

Also google for photos of Ralph Lauren bedrooms -- which usually feature an interesting mix of patterns and ideas ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest inspiration photos

• teacats
    11 years ago

Check out the Martine toile bedding at Pottery Barn!!! And on sale right now!

• teacats
    11 years ago

Here's a link to Macys -- Martha Stewart Woodland Toile ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Macys -- Martha Stewart Woodland Toile bedding

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I have PBs' blue matine toile and while it's good quality, it's so light I can barely see the pattern. It's mostly trees and big leaves. It's a very heavy quilt, but washes well.

• User
    11 years ago

He's a keeper!

I would go for a hunting toile, there are lots of European hunting (manly) toiles about. And you could go for a darker blue rather than the lighter French or cadet blue you see in so many of the shelter magazine photos.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Maybe you could minimize the use of toile with an application of a bedskirt and Euro shams, both in a very tailored style. Add in the color of your burlap draperies plus cream or white for the duvet cover and other pillows. Or you could compromise and use toile, but in brown and cream rather than blue.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

Wow! I'm impressed. My DH thinks toile is a plumbing fixture missing a letter.

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Oh, bleigh, this is off topic, but my husband is like yours. He's had chemo and a couple of difficult treatments for cancer, and my unfailing support seems to have brought our his feminine side. Shocks me at times!

Last week I helped a neighbor who had just return to her northern home. All of a sudden, the skies opened and the rain pounded! I tried to run back to my car and tripped over an uneven sidewalk--got both knees and an elbow. I slapped a couple of McDonald napkins on the knees to save the car. Got home, walked into the house--husband is standing there. I'm wet to the bone, hair is dripping, appendages are bleeding and I'm irritated. Sore too. He reached onto the countertop, opened a box and handed me a piece of chocolate, assuring me that it would make me feel better. It did! I burst out laughing.

Aren't we lucky to have these guys????

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

So the thing about toile is that it's traditionally used in a sort of all or nothing way.

But combining it with burlap, and a stripe and a check in the same color, is also a fine idea. Rather than taking the idea of blue toile and then watering it down too much, I think you should embrace it, but in a measured dose, balanced across the room, using the traditional accompaniments as the background.

And use navy blue rather than the paler or brighter shades.

Here's a thought for a scheme, incorporating navy, cream/white, and burlap:

A headboard and bedskirt in burlap, European square pillows in toile, two standard pillows in cream linen shams with navy flanges in front of those, a fat square pillow in the check, a cream/white diamond quilted matelasse coverlet, and a striped duvet cover.

At one side of the bed, a round table with a full length skirt in the toile, and a square linen cloth and a glass top over that. On the other, a small Louis Philippe chest or French country side table. A pair of fat white earthenware or blanc-de-chine lamps with burlap shades.
    A love seat, bench, or chair upholstered or slipcovered in the toile, with cream/white pillows with fat navy welting or flanges. Curtains in the check, or in cream/white with a fat border of the check, and burlap Roman shades behind them.

A chest of drawers, chestnut or painted, and a wool sisal carpet.

There I go, getting all carried away again....

• bleigh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That so funny, beachlily. So sorry to hear your DH had to go through some rough days to find his feminine side. Hope he's feeling great now! My dh brings me chocolate and wine, usually just when I need it too. He also seems to be very sympathetic when that awful PMS hits which keeps me from being mean. How handy will this be in the next couple of years with two girls hitting puberty at the same time??

I still find myself surprised. This man has some really creepy looking tattoos covering both upper arms. At first he scared me. His collection of music goes from Slayer to classical, but seems to be settling on the classical stuff more and more. He thinks grocery stores are relaxing. AND, I NEVER have to pick up his dirty socks, underwear, or clothes. He loves our little Shih Tzu that we rescued even though he specifically requested that I not bring a tiny dog home (especially a ShihTzu)...now he thinks we need another one. I could go on and on...he's just a great person that I'm happy to see everyday. We're always laughing and being silly and almost never seriously argue.

With all that being said, this man wants himself some blue toile. We looked at the suggestions above. Thank you for those!! He seems to be really interested in the pastoral scenes. I'm hoping he'll be ok with Covington's Bosporus toile in the Billiard colorway I can work with that.

teacats, I love Ralph Lauren and found some great ideas.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

bleigh, have you looked at Portfolio Marquess in Cloud?

I've attached a link which shows it with a coordinating fabric, Kravet's Stowe in Nutria. They can both be found here: http://store.schindlersfabrics.com/pofamacoclan.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Portfolio Marquess Cloud and Kravet Stowe Nutria

• bleigh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That so funny, beachlily. So sorry to hear your DH had to go through some rough days to find his feminine side. Hope he's feeling great now! My dh brings me chocolate and wine, usually just when I need it too. He also seems to be very sympathetic when that awful PMS hits which keeps me from being mean. How handy will this be in the next couple of years with two girls hitting puberty at the same time??

I still find myself surprised. This man has some really creepy looking tattoos covering both upper arms. At first he scared me. His collection of music goes from Slayer to classical, but seems to be settling on the classical stuff more and more. He thinks grocery stores are relaxing. AND, I NEVER have to pick up his dirty socks, underwear, or clothes. He loves our little Shih Tzu that we rescued even though he specifically requested that I not bring a tiny dog home (especially a ShihTzu)...now he thinks we need another one. I could go on and on...he's just a great person that I'm happy to see everyday. We're always laughing and being silly and almost never seriously argue.

With all that being said, this man wants himself some blue toile. We looked at the suggestions above. Thank you for those!! He seems to be really interested in the pastoral scenes. I'm hoping he'll be ok with Covington's Bosporus toile in the Billiard colorway I can work with that.

teacats, I love Ralph Lauren and found some great ideas.

• bleigh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bbstx, I really like those fabrics...thanks.

Sorry for the duplicate post. Not sure how that happened.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio