Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane425

Fall - Country Mantel Is Done..

plainjane425
15 years ago

Well, I finally finished my Fall Mantel. (couple of pics) It's my second year in this house, here in New England..and I'm still getting used to 'Country Living'. It's nothing fancy..just some leaves, gourds and berries. I hope you like it...Now, on to my entry hall buffet, and tables!!

jane

{{gwi:1437325}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1437327}}

Comments (42)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Wonderful choices and great seasonal color!

Well done!

Jan :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Another lovely Fall mantel! I love that decorative box, too : ) Can you add a few draping greens to the mix? just to soften and transition the lines a bit.

You sure have a beautiful home : )

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks jan for the nice compliments..

squirrel..do you mean off the edge of the mantle with draping greens?... I think that would look nice too, as you said to 'soften' it.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Very, very pretty. I can't wait till I can decorate my GR mantle. Of course I'll need the help of everyone here.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I never thought of a fall mantle! What a great idea! I think I need to think about mine!
    Yours is simply wonderful!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you brutuses..I'm looking forward to you doing that too. We'll be right there to cheer you on!!

cooperbailey..thank you. Now you have to!! It's such a focal point to the room so why not 'Dress It Up' for fall?
    The best part... you can keep it all the way to Thanksgiving!

• mldao
    15 years ago

Job well done. It very autumnal and makes me miss the foiliage. I live in So.Cal so it's hard to decorate for fall when the temperature stays in the 70's through Thanksgiving. The temperature does drop at nightfall but still no foilage.

• susan209
    15 years ago

It's absolutely stunning, it just looks like Oct. or Nov. as I peer at it. You've done an awfully nice fall mantle. I wish I could handle something like that but I can't as no one really comes here and it's so much work just for ME to enjoy!

• loribee
    15 years ago

Beautiful!

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

You people are causing me a lot of stress. I have never decorated my mantel for any occasion except Christmas. Now I think I'm going to have to go hunting for fall decorations this weekend...

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

It's SO warm and welcoming! I get even more excited about fall when I see others getting the beautiful colors throughout their homes.

sueb20 - Don't feel that you have to decorate! If you like fall as much as the rest of though, it just makes you happy to have the colors in your house. I bet you have some things in your house already that can get you started, and then with a few berry picks or gourds - and I love slinkey's candles - you'll be there.

FYI to all - I was at Michael's last night and had selected some fall leaves, etc. When I got to the register, I saw a card they were handing out that said starting Sunday 9/14 - 9/20, "50% off entire stock floral stems". Being a bargain 'girl', I put all my stuff back and will go there Sunday!

• User
    15 years ago

I am with sueb20 :) I never do anything but Christmas. Ya'll are doing BEAUTIFUL mantles...I can hardly wait to see the buffet and the tables as I have 5 mantles I could do as well as buffets ane entry tables. I wish we had a Michaels here. It is an hour away. We do have Hobby Lobby. Maybe I will go take a look.

PLease keep posting I need ideas. c

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Very pretty! I really like your painted box a lot. Can I make one teeny suggestion? Light all your candles briefly . . . just until the wicks are blackened down to the candle itself. I read that decorating hint many years ago from Martha Stewart and have been following it myself ever since. She said that candles look more realistic in any setting ~ like they're there to actually be used~ if their wicks are black. Anyhoo, regardless of whether or not they're blackened, your New England Autumnscapes are lovely!
    Lynn

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, so glad to hear positive reviews..

mldao.. I hear what you're saying about living in a climate w/o any real seasonal changes..After living in the North East my whole life, I spent two yrs in FL and it was so strange to see all the stores 'decked out' with Fall decor..while the temps were in the high 90's. Also, seeing people in Michael's purchasing Fall leaves and pumpkins to bring some 'change' to the season.

susan209...You should do it for YOU!! I know whatever I do around my home, is because I enjoy looking at it. It gives me as sense of joy in the 'planning' part as well. So, I say, don't limit yourself b/c it's just you...do it FOR you!! Like my3dogs said...you could take things you already have, and just add a seasonal touch to them..and that's all you need. So, I say, Go For It..and enjoy!

sueb20...have fun with your fall 'hunting'!! There's lots of beautiful stuff out there..and it's 'Addicting'!!

my3dogs...I'll trade you some fall decor, for your Toleware Trays!! LOL...I simply loved what you did. My old home in NY was set up like yours, and I miss it. The look in this home, is more country, and I love the look too, however, when I see your place...I swoon... I also take advantage of the Michael's coupons. YOu get fabulous bagains that way, especially with the florals. I do a lot with buying the floral bunches. I use my clippers to take them apart, and make several things with them...it's much cheaper that way. Also, look for the end of season clearance..that's where you do even better. I've got several Bins, in the attic filled with these goodies..but each year...I can't resist in buying more.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

You did a GREAT job. Perfect. It needs nothing, just prop your feet up, read a book and enjoy a job well done.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey lynn...I had to chuckle when I read about your suggestions w/the candles...I usually do that and for the same reason...but, to my rushing, and being lazy about it, this time, I didn't...and low and behold...that detail got 'snagged' by your eagle eye!! LOL...I will definitely get to it. Also, I definitely agree with giving the candles a realistic look to them. I've even burned some down, for that reason as well. Anyway, thanks for your input and compliments...

• no_green_thumb
    15 years ago

Yet another inspiration. Beautifully done! Thank you for sharing.

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Awww, so pretty. Still way too hot here to think about fall decorating :(

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

The mantle looks lovely. I like the candles and fall foliage.
    All these mantles makeovers has inspired me to do mine.
    Joann

• sduck2
    15 years ago

Ahhhh it's so nice to see primitive country design. I'm jumping from primitive to cottage and trying to find a balance in between. I love your mantel.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

Love that red box in the middle, beautiful mantel display. It looks like it came right out of the pages of Country Living magazine.

BTW...(according to a documentary I've been watching on the origins of the English language)...FALL is an American term for what the British call AUTUMN. FALL is older English than AUTUMN, the Puritans continued to use this term and it's stayed with us ever since...while over in Britain they switched to the word "Autumn".

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

This is the first year I have decorated my mantle for fall, and last year was the first time for Christmas! Because it's just me and 'My3dogs', I guess I got into the 'Who's going to see it?' point of view, but all that changed when I got those great CL lamps! Now I want to do a bit more.

I have a Hoosier cupboard in my very eclectic DR that someone had painted white MANY years ago, It was in my parent's camp and they let me have it. It took me ages to get the paint out of the oak, and it's unadorned so far...This is before I papered the dining room over the SW Blonde paint. I should do something for fall to this...

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my3dogs..what a perfect piece to 'set the palette' for your fall colors. I love your Hoosier and I can't wait to see what you do! When I was a kid, I would visit my mother's sister in Ohio, who had a Hoosier cabinet similar to yours, and I was always so fastinated with it. Lucky you to have acquired it. Glad you abandoned the idea of not decorating your mantle for the seasons/holidays, b/c it's just you and your 3dogs. Not only would you be missing out on the joy you are having doing it, we would be missing out on all the beautiful and inspirational ideas you share with us.

patricia43...I'd love to take that advice w/a book..just need to make the time to do it!

sduck2..glad you like the look. I try to mix in different styles too. I think it makes it more interesting. Besides, I like too many different things as well! lol

cliff and joan..I get inspired by all that I see and read here, too..It's nice looking at what others have done and also, keeping up with what's new.

flying flower...thanks for the info on autumn/fall. I often wondered about the two terms..now I know.
    Thanks for the compliment on 'Country Living'...my favorite!

To everyone else, thanks for your kind words. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your seasonal displays..That would be fun. Right now I'm putting together other areas around my house, both inside and out, but I just look at it as 'fun work'!

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I thought I posted a question earlier, but I dont see it???? I will try again. I love the decorations on your mantle. Did you use a garland or are they all seperate pieces. Where did you buy your stuff? It looks so good. Most of the stuff I have seen in the stores looks "cheap".

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi gk5040..I was chuckeling writing your name..it reminded me of something out of 'Star Wars'..LOL..please take no offense. The florals are all seperate pieces. Some are sprays..some are individual gourds (purchased by the bag). The rest, are from Large floral sprays, that I clipped into sprigs and use as 'fill ins'.. Almost everything you see was from Michael's (@50% off). They run specials almost every other week on them. Also, I've gone there, almost at the end of the season and they were 75% off. They move the stuff pretty quickly to get ready for the next holiday. I would suggest you not wait until a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, as everything will be practically gone. If you are looking to do something now, I would go Now. I find their quality is pretty good for the price. Even better with the sales. I do the same w/Christmas florals too. Hope this helped you...and Thanks
    for the nice compliment.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

No offense taken, my user name has nothing to do with StarWars....it was part of our old address st address. I shouldnt have used it for my garden web screen name.....should have come up with something new. But its hard enough to remember different passwords, much less new screen names:) I did see a lot of nice things at Michaels. They had one set of garland with fruit that was very pretty. I should go back and buy it because you are right, pretty soon they will be out of it. I love the bigger pumpkin turned on its side, berries and pinecones. Its very tastefully done...you have me motivated. You know what I miss that I never see anymore is the colored indian corn. I remember my mom always having corn on the door instead of a wreath. Maybe it's a northern thing. The further south we go I never seem to see it.

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

oh my goodness, another beautiful fall mantle. You guys are making me feel guilty about my resolve not to do seasonal decorating! I love all the elements and textures you combined.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh wow...you reminded me that my mother ALWAYS hung up corn on the door every year too...for years. I did that when I first got married, but then one day I noticed that the corn kernals were missing..more and more each day. Then we heard a noise at the door, and peeked out the window...it was a bird, pecking at the corn!! After that, I put up wreaths...I think you're right with it being a northern thing..probably from the 'Pilgrims' in Mass!! LOL
    Get going on to Michael's...then share what you've done...I'd love to see it.
    jane

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

slinkey I had to give up putting up Indian corn on my front door years ago- when I looked out the window and saw a squirrel running away with the ears of corn still wired and ribboned together! pesky squirrel.
    No offense Squirrel!!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha! funny cooperbailey...I'm picturing that squirrel scaling your door and running off w/your corn..I guess that's why we don't see 'corn' on doors anymore..

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Too funny, when I got married, I use to do corn....18 years ago......until the same thing happened.....the corn got old from me saving it each year...and then the animals started eating it. I havent see it in YEARS, but still remember how beautiful it would look with a big fall ribbon around the husks. I will post some pics when I get my stuff out. My latest craze is filling glass jars. Target just got in some neat "fall" fillers for vases and jars. I picked up acorns and little pumpkins. I will post soon.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gk...I'd love to see your pics of glass jars. They always look so pretty when I see them in magazines and in the stores.. I'd love to do one for my bathroom..but haven't attempted one yet. I'd like to see what you do with the fall fillers..Thanks for sharing..

• mom2zack
    15 years ago

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Slinkey, I'm back with my pictures. I figure I better post them before Thanksgiving. You inspired me to do up my mantle for the fall. I loved your ideas. I also have the pictures of the jars. I had such a hard time uploading to photobucket, that was most of my delay.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow...I was surprised to see this thread 'Resurrected'!

gk..you did a beautiful job on your mantel. Everything you chose, looks very colorful and works so well together. The face of your mantel is lovely and so different, with that decorative scroll work. Also those jars are just stunning. I'm glad you got to post this before it was too late..lol. Everyone seems to be moving on to Christmas!!
    TFS
    jane

• caminnc
    15 years ago

All these pictures are so pretty.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Hi Jane,
    So glad you saw it. I have been meaning to post it for a while, but I was having so much trouble uploading to Photobucket. I keep the photos on the computer in my son's room and he is always asleep at night when I tend to be online. Last night I started this at 7 PM, he went to bed at 8:30 and I snuck back into his room when he was asleep to finish. It took me over an hour to upload those 5 pics. It starts to upload then stops and says its done, but it never uploads. I deleted a bunch of pics and logged onto it from the internet instead of AOL and it worked. I had read a post about someones Christmas mantel and I thought, I better do it now! Thrilled you saw it, because I was afraid you would miss it. Target had these large acorns to fill the jars with. I got the small ones there, but havent purchased the big ones...yet. I was hoping they would go on clearance after thanksgiving. I recently purchased a red berry garland which I plan on using next fall. I didnt get the one with the ice crystals so that I could use it for the fall and winter. I will post that soon too. The face of our mantel was done by the previous homeowners, and it is very unique...the one thing I did like in this house.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gk..please check out the 'Holiday' site. You would LOVE everything over there since you enjoy doing this type of decorating. I've been there for a yr now, but was 'lurking' until this past Summer. Everyone is VERY friendly. They share lots of pics and creative ideas w/decorating and lots of table settings, for different occasions, holidays and just for fun. Check it out...I'll be looking for you.
    jane

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I am heading there right now....didnt know about that one:)
    Thanks
    Cindy

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I checked it out, I like this forum better:)

• cattknap
    15 years ago

The mantles are just gorgeous!