Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Rules/Tips For Mismatched Dining Room Chairs

I'm working on my dining room and got a lot of great help here on another thread. I started thinking about having multiple types of chairs rather than just one kind, and did a google image search on "mismatched dining room chairs" to see what I could figure out. I did a search for a thread like that here, but did not find one--so sorry if this is a duplication.

Here's what I thought I discovered:

Most effective in more minimal or restrained decor--so the room doesn't look too chaotic--several different chairs seem to add a lot of visual interest, so too much else may look too busy.

As to the chairs themselves, I noticed these approaches:

Same chair, different upholstery fabric

Different chairs, same upholstery fabric

Same chair, different color paints--seemed very effective when similar colors were used, each slightly different, different shades of green for example.

Different chairs, same color paint.

A pair of matching chairs at each end, the rest all different.

Complete randomness, but in the same style--wicker, or MCM, for example.

All the chairs match, except one. One interesting image was a black and white room, black and white everything, except one sky-blue chair.

One thing I saw and didn't like was a lot of comfy-looking chairs, and one stool that looked awful to sit on--would you set the person you did not like there?

What other tips can you think of?

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Not exactly answering your question, but, besides style considerations, when I look at dr chairs, I look for comfort, easy of keeping clean (which means not too many spindles nooks or crannies as I hate dusting them) including upholstery. I also consider arms vs armless as the arms do make it harder to get in and out of if there isn't a lot of room behind the chair. I look at how easy they are to move for guests getting in and out. Also the size and height of the seat as we are smaller in size and I like my feet to hit the ground when I sit, and I like to be able to cram more chairs around the table at holiday time than not.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think it's very much a country look, and though I like it, I think it is too farmhousey for your house which is more formal and grand IMHO.

Edited to add:
    Sorry, I didn't really read your post clearly enough. You mentioned a lot of variations. One thing I do like, and I think would work well in your space, is armchairs on the ends, for the Lord and Lady of the house. : ) Or anything that sets just those two chairs apart as special.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 10:53

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are very helpful and practical comments, thank you. Good point about armless being more maneuverable, my mom always said "No spindles! Too hard to dust!".

Country look, that is a good point mtnrdredux, thank you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My parents have this in their Brownstoneâ¦they have all antique pressback chairs, but each one has a different design. It's great.

I think that, if you're going for this look, each chair should be approx the same height, though.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Same height, same seat height: more great tips. Thank you!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Specifically same SEAT height. And I'd say the backs should be within a few inches of the same height.

I really like the look of different chairs all painted the same color.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh I like the look of prickly pears second photo

• mclarke
    9 years ago

That first photo -- that's Monica's kitchen from the set of "Friends", isn't it?

Perfect example of mismatched chairs.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

mclarke - Yep! When I was younger and watched Friends I loved the look of their apartment. Now it's a little too chaotic for my taste and I think I'd be happier with the second set of chairs.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I would agree that the Friends kitchen is an example of mismatched chairs--- a perfect what not to do, lol. Although I never aspired to the mismatched look somehow I have ended up with three different types of chairs in my dining room. They are all upholstered with the same fabric and two of the three types are shield back chairs and the others are almost a shield back. I have six that go with the table ( including two armchairs at each end), two more fully upholstered chairs, and two smallish, very antique chairs that belong to a tea table/chairs set that still lives with my mother. The latter two are used for children or small adults. I would LOVE to get 8 antique mahogany ribbon back chairs in good condition and stop holding my breath over the little chairs!

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

"One thing I saw and didn't like was a lot of comfy-looking chairs, and one stool that looked awful to sit on--would you set the person you did not like there? What other tips can you think of? "

We'd set anyone who could fit there!

Having a destination house (and not a big one) for Thanksgiving (and a slew of other excuses to freeload en masse), we have never brought in the five gallon buckets or milk crates (yet) but it's an ordinary sight to have desk chairs, folding chairs, dining chairs with and without arms, cut down swivel bar stools, and two high chairs around two to three tables. The biggest matching set are the dozen or so folding chairs, matched perfectly in their random shabbiness. As for the kids, the passing into history of the metropolitan phone book has hurt us badly.

Tablecloths go a long way towards making disparate tables match, but we've been thinking about slip on "wedding" type folding chair covers for a dozen years now.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I love this look: A pair of matching chairs at each end, the rest all different.

I have a teak table and teak chairs, all with upholstered seats and backs. Could not figure out how to reupholster DIY, so we got four vintage oak chairs from a friend who was giving them away. I reupholstered the seats, but I don't like them. I'm thinking about taking the two arm teak chairs to someone who can change out the fabric. Then, strip the oak chairs, paint and reup the seats to match the teak fabric. Sound OK - or should I just put the whole mess on CL?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

"The biggest matching set are the dozen or so folding chairs, matched perfectly in their random shabbiness."

Lol, well said!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Hoov's house is beautiful and has an impeccable exterior and I think she needs the same for her DR. You can use upholstered chairs at either end (a Mr and Mrs or two wing backs, etc) and use basic wooden chairs at the sides. If you have to stretch the leaves for a few more, just add some card table chairs for the one occasion with slipcovers or if not card table chairs, similar chairs with slip covers that match or blend with the fabric chairs. I have some folding chairs (a little bigger and heftier than card table chairs) for which I made slipcovers that match the more formal fabric of the wing chairs and at the sides I use the chairs that came with the suite. My wing chairs were a bit short so I added casters to give an inch or so of height.