Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Do you have dimmable recessed lights in master bath?

jterrilynn
9 years ago

I'm also doing side of mirror sconces but am wondering if those that also have recessed lights have them on a dimmer and if the dimmer option is ever used. Should I or shouldn't I do a dimmer?

Comments (22)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I have them and they do have a dimmer. I have dimmers everywhere though.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We have dimmers in the PR, but not in the mbath...I've not seen a need either...when we're in there, we want light. We have a nightlight for the night time visits so we don't need to turn the lights on at all.

In the PR, the lights over the sink are on a dimmer and we put it on low for when co. comes and they can find their way in. When they walk in, the main light comes on automatically as it's a motion sensor.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 8:10

• kswl2
    9 years ago

We have recessed lights in our MBA and I need all the light I can get. No dimmers.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

We have a dimmable chandelier, no recessed lights. We use that dimmer b/c when someone gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it is nice to be able to put on a very low light so you can see but not get woken.

• Jules
    9 years ago

I had dimmers everywhere in our last house but found I never needed them for bathroom vanity lights, but I did use the dimmer on the light above my MB tub to enjoy bubble baths with soft lighting (and candles). So above the tub is the only dimmable bathroom lights I have in this house.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

We have recessed with dimmers in addition to vanity lights. The dimmers come in handy in the middle of the night when you don't really want a bright light in your face.

ML

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We have them and like others said, it's nice to put them on very low light in the middle of the night. I also get up earlier than DH so it's nice to have the lower light in the hanging chandy, plus my lighted make-up mirror if needed, even though the door is closed. Also have them on the recessed lights. The vanity lights are the only ones not on a dimmer.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well that settles it then! My husband whom was starting to take an unfavorable view in my putting more stock in the opinions of those here will be happy as he thought it unnecessary.

Edited: hmmm, the yes's are gaining momentum.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 14:52

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I have them and like them......we have two sconces, two pot lights over the sinks, a light with the fan, and a light in the shower. One light goes on very low at night for a night light. I like to be able to dim the lights when showering or in the morning when I'm getting ready for work and not awake yet!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Jujubean said, "I use the dimmer on the light above my master bath tub to enjoy bubble baths with soft lighting (and candles)."

Ditto, minus the bubbles and candles.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I made DH put every last light in the house on dimmers. He thought it was crazy but it was, and still is, one of the best decisions we made in this house. I love the ambiance and rarely put the lights on full blast, plus it's better for your melatonin levels and thus quality of sleep. Viewing a bright light in the middle of the night badly disrupts melatonin levels.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Think I'll take another look at this poll later tonight and decide. I wasnâÂÂt sure if I would use a dimmer. However, I am not so good in the morning so perhaps I would like a dimmer then.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I put dimmers every place. The electricians never take me seriously when I say I mean every place, but i do.

Here's my thoughts; we spend an inordinate amount of time making selections for our home. But the rooms we actually see will depend very heavily on how they are lit. Why not control that lighting as much as you can? I also agree that, except for when I am putting on make up, I would rather have gentle lighting.

• kmarissa
    9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this question is appropriate here or if it really should be a separate thread, but since so many of you have so many dimmers, I thought you might have some ideas or experience. I would dearly love to put dimmers on my living room and master bedroom overhead lights. But both light fixtures are combo light/fan fixtures each operated by a single switch. I had done some quick googling a while ago and found that dimmers are very problematic to use with combo light/fans as they create problems for fan operation. Personally, I think our ceiling fans may be kinda ugly, but they are very practical and won't be coming down any time soon. Has anyone had their overhead light/fan combo re-wired so the light is on a dimmer and the fan is operated separately? I'm certainly no electrician, and am wondering how difficult/expensive this might be to accomplish.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I would LOVE a dimmable light in my bath. Don't like too bright light first thing in the morning! And my bathroom is not lighted well to begin with.

I do have a good nightlight in there for those middle of the night trips.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 16:34

• theclose
    9 years ago

Go with the dimmer. The one time you need/want one, you will wish you had done it to begin with.

When we moved into this house, I had the electrician replace all non-dimmable with dimmers, including master bath. DH didn't understand why in master bath but with an infant at the time, I knew I'd need it in the middle of the night. So glad we put it in there.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Yes and yes. Dimmable potlights/cans over the tub, and a dimmable fixture over the sink/mirror. I love dimmers.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Really, dimmers are cheap. But they add so much option to a room! All lights need dimmers!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The three 4â recessed lights are up in the sink vanity area and boy is it bright. The double sconces are not even up yet but I can now see that dimmers are definitely needed on both. Sheesh and to think I was worried if I had enough lighting. In my set-up the master bath is long with a near 79â double vanity then a door to the toilet, tub and shower area. In the tub, shower, toilet section I have a shallow four light ceiling mount light near toilet, and a ceiling mount bell globe chandelier over tub. I havenâÂÂt bought the shower fan light yet. So, since IâÂÂm repairing all the walls where husband AGAIN primed over not properly sanded joint compound $%$#F%$#^$F%$%* it doesnâÂÂt really matter about any extra patch at this point.
    Somebody tell me a joke IâÂÂm cranky.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Okay I could only find two "decor" jokes.

• chispa
    9 years ago

My Dad taught me some basic electrical skills and adding a dimmer switch is one of the ones I have used often.

For our master bath remodel. The 2 recessed 6" LED lights are getting a dimmer, the chandelier is getting a dimmer, the 3 sconces over the sinks are getting a dimmer and the 2 recessed 4" LED lights in the shower are getting a dimmer. I guess my vote is a YES! The toilet room got a new fan that has a bright light and a night light, so no dimmer needed there.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol Mnt!

My husband was pretty funny last night after I raged on him about NOT touching my primer ever again for the rest of his life. He looked at me all ernst like and said: Those decorating people took away my Terri and I do not like them. Hehehe, how can I stay mad at that big Raymond?

Chispa, good for you, come over and teach me will you? Husband has agreed to do the recessed lights and the bell chandelier over the tub but says no way to the sconces. WeâÂÂll see about that.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!