Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Need help now- sale ends- light fixture size??

bridget helm
9 years ago

Our breakfast room table is 66" long (5 and a half feet). The sides are arched. Not a true oval- more like an eyebrow. It's in a wood pedestal.

It will sit in a bay window area. The chandelier i want comes in two sizes. Of course I want the smaller size because it's 200 dollars less, and this renovation is costing a lot more than expected : /

So can I get away with 30" wide x 15" deep? Or do I need the 40"x17"

The pic posted is of the big one

I'll post smaller in next pic

This post was edited by bmh4796 on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 21:33

Comments (21)

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the smaller one

I can get the big one for a similar price as the small one on sale at restoration hardware, but only in the aged iron not is the waxed brass

I think the waxed brass will look better with our kitchen slab

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the aged iron

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is our slab. Color under my thumb will be lower cab color. (We ruled out the other color)The vein cut beige travertine will be kitchen floors

The aged iron might not look good with the other kitchen colors??? Or am I over thinking it? I'm planning on brushed nickel faucet. Haven't decided on cab pulls yet.

Besides being more expensive, I'm nervous about going with the waxed brass. The aged iron is so safe, but in this case I think the brass will look better

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumping post. Help help

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think the brass is fabulous and will look wonderful with your counter. It is so elegant, I think you need the brass.

And I also think you need the larger size... but look at this guide and see what you think. You also have to consider the room size.

Good luck! I hope others will weigh in.

Here is a link that might be useful: right size light

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I totally think you need the brass. The aged iron isn't nearly as pretty.

• Jules
    9 years ago

Another vote for the brass!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Def the waxed brass, far nicer and nicer in your room.

And, sorry, I think you need the larger. I love your choices!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I too like the waxed brass with what you shared. As for the light, I would be more concerned if there will be enough light to eat by more than the size.
    Though I did look at the link, I don't necessarily agree with it.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the table, but this is NOT the room. This is a picture of our old house that we sold to buy the house we are renovating

Maybe we can get away with 30"??

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I vote for the brass also.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The best i can do to show you the room is show you the listing of the previous owners. It's been gutted since then, avd is only Sheetrock and slab at the moment. The windows remained, but nothing else. No soffits

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'd go with the smaller light. We recently moved things around in our sunroom (12x20) and I put two light fixtures over the dining table because I also use it for sewing. Though I like the look, had it not been for the fact I needed the extra lighting for sewing, I wouldn't be happy with the "larger" look of two fixtures.
    Here's some images that might help you decide that the smaller fixture will work.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Do you remember the size of the chandelier in your last home? That could help you decide on the side too.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Love your choices for your kitchen, and I would go with the brass finish. Regarding the size of your light fixture, if the room should have the larger fixture and you do not want to outlay the money, I would not buy the smaller fixture, but look for another fixture within the amount you want to spend. Don't settle, as that fixture will be hanging there for a long time. That said, I love the fixture with your other choices.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Oh my, this is going to be beautiful.

I concur. The larger brass fixture.

What is your slab?

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for compliments on selections! The slab is calacatta brasilioro from Brazil. The finish is leather

I'm definitely getting that fixture in brass, just not sure on size. The fixture in our last house was 24" round. So I think the 30x15 will be fine?? I just keep thinking that the extra 200 is a faucet for the hall bath etc. I'm trying to reign things in a bit. New floors for the house really busted the budget. So I'm penny pinching now. I'm waiting on the formal dining fixture because is rather not have anything in there than have something I don't love.

Anyway, I took some pics of the kitchen in its current state to give you a better idea of the room

I could cry when I see the jungle growing outside the window. I don't know how I'm going to find the energy to get the landscaping under control until we can relandscape in the Spring. Husband making me wait until then. : /

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another angle. I think I'm going to go with the 30". If it looks silly then ill exchange it for the bigger one

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The fixture in other house was 25"

Here's a pic for comparison (the main difference is the depth from front to back -25" with the last fixture and 15" with the brass one). But the bigger brass is only 17" in depth so that's not really noticeable

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New fixture - 30"

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I think you made the right choice. I know that's how I'd go if it wasn't for needing the extra light for sewing. Now I'm thinking I need to buy a larger table to go with my new lighting.