Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Do You like This Chair and Table Together?

I am buying a new dining room table and chairs.

This is the PB Sumner pine dining room table- shown extended to 102" and Canadel chairs.

I've ordered the table, went to look at in real life today, but haven't paid for it yet. I will when it comes in.
I have a pine buffet, white fireplace mantel, traditional look overall and do have room.
Just need some feedback. I love it, but I want a fairly timeless look and I usually veer towards trendy like a moth to a flame.
Will have nearby but not adjoining the table, some red sherril wing chairs, still to be ordered but picked out.

Comments (34)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

To be honest, not really...chair looks too formal for the rustic table.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie. That mix is what I'm going for, actually. I've looked at hundreds of pine tables on houzz and this is pretty tame!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

not really. maybe if the tone of the chair's upholstery picked up the tone of the table.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Love the table and chairs, but I don't care for the ultra formal chairs with the more casual farmhouse table. It could work, but I think considering the money you'll be pending, I think a more cohesive look will be better for the long haul. Good luck.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Another no vote here. I also like to mix furniture and have modern accent pieces along side antiques from the 1830s and earlier along side late 19th/early 20th c. along side ...but I am just not seeing or feeling it with the pieces you are showing.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, I appreciate your comments. The chairs are formalish in style but not in application, They are distressed and Canadel chairs at least the ones I have seen irl, are all rather casual.
    I'm open to any ideas, I want a wood back/legs, padded seat. Nothing with straight lines, x;s, grids,queen anne anything or ovals.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I'm not liking the combo either bumblebeez. Can you share a link to what you've seen on houzz? That might help.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 22:16

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure how to link multi photos but here is one. The overall feeling I was getting was to have different chairs from the table. Even different end chairs from the side chairs.Definitely not matching.

[Eclectic Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2104) by Elmhurst Interior Designers & Decorators Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd love chairs like these...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, those are great! But not my permanent style :-)

[Transitional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2112) by Salem Photographers Tess Fine

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thank you Bumblebeez. I'm thinking if the table you chose had a hand rubbed finish then chairs could work. Quite well in fact. The legs are actually similar. Go for it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I probably sound like I am trying to justify my choices but I do want interaction. Justgota, the Canadel line is great because you choose any finish, leg style, back and mix and match. They have a fun interactive program that shows your choices. The Pb table is NOT rough, btw.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Not really Bumblebeez. I see it as you know that you like it, but maybe are a bit surprised that you like it and want to make sure you're not having a crazy moment so you're asking us what we think. I've done that before. I see something online that is so not me and yet I love it. I can't figure out why but I do.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, well, if I seriously considered Annies mod chairs, that would be a crazy moment, but I do know what I like, which is basically Chippendale styled chairs, rustic tables and wing chairs.

Actually, it is hard for me to get what I like as I tend to think maybe I should get a matching set, since I will have this for a LONG time and matching sets are more classic.
    Oh well.

I DO like a lot of styles I haven't pictured but I do not like for me, modern/contemporary/mcm/ transitional, anything remotely uncomfortable (unpadded seats), or hard to clean (upholstered dining room chairs)
    and anything not sturdy. That eliminates a lot.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Beverly! I have looked extensively at their chairs and I know it's weird, but I don't like them. They seem too chunky. I looked at them in the store today too, not just online.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with buying mis-matched Bumblebeez. Some folks will always like matched and some will not. Personally I lean more toward the mis-matched style as it has a more of a comfortable I found what I love over the years kind of look to it. I don't think that kind of style ever looks dated. More like timeless.

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

I like them together, but the chairs are sort of heavy looking (particularly in the black). I think a simpler looking chair with detail would work better. Martha Stewart used to have a line of furniture through Bernhardt. You can still buy some of the leftover stock new through eBay. Here are two that I think would work if you could get the sellers to split the chairs or sell you chairs separately from the sets they've compiled. Both come in black (I like the second ones better, but I have no idea whether the seller would do it and what the stock is). I would use upholstered head chairs with that table.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernhardt-Furniture-Martha-Stewart-North-River-Cherry-Dining-Set-Sideboard-/221271764361?pt=Dining_Sets&hash=item3384d32d89

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernhardt-Martha-Stewart-Cannondale-Drop-Leaf-Dining-Table-Chair-Set-NEW-/221271764368?pt=Dining_Sets&hash=item3384d32d90

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I may have missed it, but you said this - 'I probably sound like I am trying to justify my choices but I do want interaction. is great because you choose any finish, leg style, back and mix and match. They have a fun interactive program that shows your choices. The Pb table is NOT rough, btw.'

You show a black (in appearance) Canadel chair, but is that the color you'd buy, another paint color, or a wood tone that blends more closely with the table?

I think I found your chair and have linked it and the available colors below. The second choice shown called 'Praline Wash' may blend the two styles a bit better? I also see that you can get Matte (M), Glossy (G), Antique (A) wood finishes.

Another thing that may make a big difference, is a different seat fabric, but I don't know if they offer that, or if you have to change it yourself once you buy the chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armchair : CHA7102WAUF Canadel

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, those are fantastic! I love the second ones, and that is the exact look I want. I've contacted the seller with some questions but am thinking I may use the dining table in an area I need a desk- in that finish too.
    I'd have to use a chair pad which is a bummer but the overall styling is beautiful.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is the chair, 3dogs, and the seat was just something I picked quickly. They have many fabric options. I don't like woods that are close but don't match so if I got the canadel chair, but I do like the ones Kevin posted (#2) better in line, and the price is very good. Although they are arm chairs... hmmm,

The main thing is that I get something that will last and I love.
    the price is, of course, as always important. but I know the general range I need to pay. (our CL is dismal and I check it constantly. It was perfect for finding furniture for my brother and his 3 cats and football friends but I mean, people want 3k for really dated Thomasville or else it's all Ashley that they want 1k for, no. )
    This is it for a table and I will hope to never have to buy another table and chairs, at least for a very long time.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again, Kevin!

I bought the ebay set, second one, will use the table similarly as shown in the pic as a desk in another room and it will fit perfectly in all regards. I already have a desk chair so for the styling, quality and price, it's great. Love the chairs.

So, chair shopping is over for now. Eventually I will need two upholstered end chairs but this is all sufficient for awhile.

I was not in love with the Canadel chairs but it is all I could find that I liked.

On to chair pads now....

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I don't like matched sets at all. I have painted woven back chairs with an old oak pedestal table in my dining room.

Glad you found something you like. I don't like the Canadel chairs with the table you chose. I also don't know the long-term quality of Pottery Barn??

I like what you bought and perhaps you can find similar pads as to what is shown in Kevin's first picture. I don't care for chairpads personally - but those almost look like that are part of the chair instead of an added pad.

tina

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The chairpad thing is annoying, like you, I think those look like they are a part of the chair, but I have to have a cushy chair pad. I love lingering around the table for hours and it does make a difference.

I know exactly what you are saying about Pb. So wildly frustrating that all reviews are gone. At least the pine table is 100% solid pine, no veneer or mdf. They had another table I dithered on until reading details, it cost more and was Great looking, but it had mdf as part of the tabletop base.
    What I really like about the pine table is that the leaves add to the end, not the middle so when not using them, it's all solid, no dividing line down the middle.

This post was edited by Bumblebeez on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 12:00

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

Well I didn't realize you'd pull the trigger like that, but congratulations! Glad I was able to help.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think the black is bothering me more than the chair style...it just seems too harsh for the table. I think white chairs or even a soft color would look better.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanie, I understand, and we all like different things.

Kevin, I'm not one to dither forever, and when I see something that works beautifully, at my price point, more or less, and is easy, I'm on it.
    I have looked at dozens of manufacturers online and their chairs and...this was it! I hadn't bought the Canadel, because I had reservations, however, I couldn't find anything I liked better at that price.
    Sure, if the price doubled I could find plenty, but hey!
    I have also been scouring the catalogs at the local, good, furniture stores and scrutinizing their products enough to make the sales women batty.
    I have also looked at antique stores and CL ( too much).
    Oh, and custom online. Can't afford it. Yes it's perfect. A pine trestle table stained and waxed with bread board and leaves. Can't afford it but PB fits the bill ok.

So, ultimately, this table and chair set summed up all my lingering questions and concerns ( what to do about a desk?)
    quite nicely and the purchase was at the end of a quest, not the beginning.

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

I think the black will work well, just as Bernhardt had paired them and the other style I included. They'll work we'll and you don't have to worry about soiled seats with the chair pads and can easily replace them.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

wow, I'm impressed with that purchase time! Way to go.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Woohoo! Glad you grabbed them and hope you will love them for years!

Nice going, Kevin!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Oops....sorry bumble..misread and .didn't realize you had purchased chairs...hope you enjoy them!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's ok Joanie! Ironically, I hate black clothes and don't own any black pants.

Bee, the purchase time is fast for me too...normally I would research it to death, as I now have, and decide to keep looking.

But for 317 a chair, 317 for the table and no shipping or tax, well, that's in my price range.

I've looked at hundreds of chairs, and the same ole styles are repeated, this seems fresher, different.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH