Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillies01

Do I have room for 2 chairs?

jillies01
9 years ago

I would really like to get 2 chairs for my family room, but I just can't tell if it will make the space feel too cramped. I have taped out measurements, but have a REALLY hard time imagining the actual chair there! Do you think I have room? I attached a picture of the room (sorry for the quality!).

Comments (18)

• rgps
    9 years ago

2 small ones yes. 2 big ones no. I like your room a lot.

• jjam
    9 years ago

If it's a good sized chair I would say one is better. You have a lot of seating in your sectional already, so adding two more seats might start to look more like a waiting room. One meaningful chair, perhaps with a small side table, would get my vote.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I think you certainly have room for two chairs, especially if they were armless, similar to something like shown in the link below. I found some very reasonably priced at overstock, that take up little floor space and are very comfortable.

Here is a link that might be useful: armless chairs

• jillies01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nanny2a - thank you for the link. that is actually the type of chair I was thinking of, although would love to find something similar with some tufting!

jjam - I can see your point about a waiting room! right now it just feels like something is missing. if I were to do one bigger chair, do you think it should be straight on (i.e. facing the other side of the sectional head on?) or at an angle? I was playing around with another chair I have, but it is so big that it looked off no matter what I did!

Thank you for the input!!!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

It's hard to completely tell from a photo. What size is the width of the rug?

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I think one of the reasons the room looks like something is missing is due to the excess of carpet with nothing on it. I wonder if you were to pull the short end of the sofa away from the window to cover more of the rug, you might not need two chairs to fill the space. It would also enable you to have a sofa table behind the short side with a lamp on it. I would also replace the rectangular table with one that is square or round.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think one large chair with a table next to it or two smaller chairs with a small table between them would look great. Love your room!

• amykath
    9 years ago

I know these are not to scale and not slipper chairs, but I reduced the size to give you a visual. Hope it helps. Was difficult to find any images of two chairs from the backside to use.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

go to homestyler.com and then you can electronically sketch your room to scale, add furniture and see if what you have in mind will actually fit.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I really like the look of armless chairs but IMO they are not comfortable for long-term sitting..i.e. watching TV, etc. Our friends have an armless sofa and two armless chairs in their family room and I find them uncomfortable because there is no arm rest. You want to be able to stretch out and "flop" in a family room and armless chairs/sofas force you to sit upright....nothing to lean against.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

There were plenty of tufted armless chairs, too. Just search for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: tufted armless chair

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

a swivel chair and a small side table perhaps.

• jillies01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again. The rug is 11 by 9, and only under the sectional by a few inches all around. I tried to take a pic with a little more of the entire room to give a little more insight. I will go onto that website sometime today and play around. I like the idea of the swivel chair a lot - although my husband thinks it will turn into a contestant struggle to keep the crazy kids from turning it into the family room toy!

On a side note - i know I have to replace the drapes in the room⦠just have been "stuck" until I figure out the seating issue. I am afraid to commit to a fabric until the other big pieces are filled in.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

Nice room! I do think you have room for two chairs but they would need to be smaller and that's getting harder to find. Lots of chairs look small in furniture stores because the stores are so big and so much furniture now a days is large. Make sure you measure carefully.

Personally, I find armless chairs not too comfortable to sit in for a long time.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I just measured my two slipper chairs that set an angle from each other with a round table in between (their inside front corners almost touch) and they take up just over 7.5' from side to side. They are good sized chairs, but armless. I wish they cost this price when I bought them!

Here is a link that might be useful: I wish they cost this price when I bought them!

This post was edited by justgotabme on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 15:34

• jjam
    9 years ago

I would get one substantial, high backed chair and perhaps an ottoman. That would add some variety in height, as your sectional and dining chairs all sit at approximately the same level. Looks like you have a lot of seating there now, but if any extra is needed, someone can always sit on the ottoman. I'd also put a small table next to the chair and a lamp. Lovely room!

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Is that a TV to the left of the FP? If so, would a chair obstruct the view? If it is a TV, have you considered flip flopping the sectional and putting a console table between the dining table and the back of the sofa and two chairs under the window? Beautiful room so far btw. I also agree with just pulling the rug in, or getting a smaller rug.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

i actually have room for sofa and 4 large overstuffed chairs, but the room looks very busy when it's all in there so there's floor space and there's visual space........i am still debating.......