Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgps

Is this a problem paisley?

rgps
9 years ago

I need fabric to cover my window seat cushions in my Istanbul whorehouse. I love this fabric. It is waverly karaj paisley. It has a 16.5" vertical repeat. Will the design stand out enough. I ask because I covered some chairs in a pastel paisley years ago and it looked like mush. If you got real close to the fabric it was stunning but once on the chair and from several feet away it just died into a puddle of pastel. Do you think this one will just blur into a blob of earthtones?

Thanks in advance, you guys always know this stuff so help me not repeat my past mistake.

Also, it is polyester and rayon. It's against my principles to have a synthetic but oh well. Is that a decent fabric or will it be shiny and tacky and fall apart if you look at it cross eyed?

Comments (23)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think it's beautiful; perfect for an Istanbul whorehouse, and with any remnant, you can make polyester pants for the squirrels!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Paisley is one of my all time favorite prints and that is an especially beautiful one. I do think that paisleys can get muddled but I think the colors are strong enough to not muddle.

I want to see those polyester paisley squirrel pants.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I understand exactly what you mean. I am always picking things that look good in my hand, then putting it somewhere where it will always be like 5 feet away. Totally different.

I would order a memo sample and pin it to a chair. Then you will really know.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The colors are so muted you might lose the integrity of its design from several feet away. Does it come in a brighter, more visible colorway? Suggestion for a memo sample is a good one.I love paisley, btw, and used one liberally in our recent project.

• msrose
    9 years ago

Ok, I've got to ask. What is an Istanbul whorehouse?

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Istanbul whorehouse as I use it is code for a decor of dubious taste where all individual elements are wonderful, (ie oriental rugs, Indian brass lamps, Kashmir embroidery, voodoo dolls, crazy quilts and ancient doodads) but all put together are entirely tooooo much. Sort of boho but pulled together entirely out of the family archives as opposed to out of Peir 1 or Anthropology at the mall.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

What type of cushions does your window seat have and what are their dimensions? Love me some paisley, but would want to make sure this print laid out within within the dimensions of your cushions. I agree, order a sample.

• msrose
    9 years ago

Thanks, rgps!

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Never fail to learn something every day from GW :-). Googled Istanbul whorehouse and all it threw up were br*thels in Istanbul (what a marvellous place it is BTW), so msrose, thanks for asking and rgps, thanks for the reply.

The paisley is gorgeous - I stood about 4 feet away from my screen to look at it, and instead of the pattern fading away, the outlines actually come more into focus. Like you I dislike artificial fabrics, but there is rayon and there is rayon. If it feels slithery and slinky, the fabric not not be the most comfortable to sit on. If it has a textured feel , go for it.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol, i will 2 benches each 57" long with 4" foam cushions. Good point about centering things, I'll have to get lots of extra but at $22/yd that won't be bad.

Kswl, I didn't find another color way but am looking on Google for other paisley fabrics and will look for more contrast. I want a Kashmir shawl look vs haight-ashbury LSD vibe.

• teacats
    9 years ago

((down a wonderful alley way in Istanbul ..... a mysterious marketplace filled with wonderful treasures .....)) ......

A voice speaks from the depths of the shadows:

"Come now .... my friend ..... I humbly offer a possible paisley .... on sale ..... for such a meager sum .... hardly worth a squirrel's nuts .....for such a spicy fabric ......."

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabricguru.com -- on sale

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooowwwww teacats that is lovely and such an irresistible scene you set. I must peruse that site some more

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Are these cushions going to be just for sitting on or are you also making back cushions?

I think if it's just for sitting on you may lose the pattern. But my decorating style is pulled from the basements of my parents and their friends.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

It's beautiful. Makes me want to take up the profession. And I love squirrels.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I love Paisley. I have not seen a Paisley I didn't like, some more than others of course. My favorite rug is Paisley Park.
    Good prices here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Paisley

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I love the fabric and I too am a paisley lover. Are the overall colors what you're going for in the room and can you get a sample and drape it in the room to see if you get that color-blob effect? Or are you just looking at a photograph?

• busybee3
    9 years ago

nice paisley! I also don't think the pattern will blur into nothing when you step away.....

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for your input. I have ordered 5 samples so we'll see how they look and take a vote when they arrive. On to the next adventures in decor.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

i'm not sure the pattern would fade away, my concern is that the colors would become weaker and you'd lose some of that beautiful color

i'm a paisley lover

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh out of the blue up pops the oh so popular Istanbul whorehouse!!

How goes it out there? I was just thinking about the whorehouse recently when I saw some fabulous colorful Paisley fabric. We need some updated pictures! Did the beautiful cabinet make it up the hill to the house from the storage locker?

• kswl2
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Your photo gives one no idea of the scale. If it is a large print, it will be clearer from farther away. A smaller print "turns to mush" by six feet or so--- and that is why many people use smaller prints, btw, as they "read like a solid" but contain more than one of the desired colors. I will say from experience that paisley is very busy and if you want a discrete pattern the background color should be lighter. The color combination in The fabric above looks very dark and "mushy" in a close up already.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Oh RGPS, I am so glad this popped up. How are you and how is the decorating coming together?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I hope she sees this old post! I loved the whole decorating the whorehouse threads. Would love to see how it is looking and hear more about the place now.
    I am sure all the fabric decisions were made long ago!