Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

New bedroom light

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

My new light was delivered yesterday & my DH installed it for me today. I love it but I can't get a good picture of it so please excuse photo quality.

Thank you so much Tib, Anele, KSWL, & May. You all were marvelous consultants. I very much appreciate your help.

Comments (19)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more with the light on. I love the way the glass disperses the light.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow I thought it was going to be too big, but it's a perfect size. And yes, the way the light is dispersed is really cool.

I'd put it on a dimmer, though if it's not on one already. It'd be so pretty dimmed.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty! Yes, a dimmer would be great. I just hung a new light in the bedroom and love it so much I had to sleep with it on super low so that I could stare at it. Silly, huh?

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's the next step Tib. DH is putting a dimmer switch on it this week. I can't believe how much light the 40 watt bulbs produce. It takes no more than 60 but I think the 40w is perfect. I like it so much I am going to get one for the bedroom hallway. DH is going on another trip this weekend so I will wait for a few weeks before I order it. Btw the burnished brass is perfect in the room.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I've been waiting for this, the brass and shape look perfect in your lovely bedroom!

• User
    9 years ago

Lovely!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Perfect!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Fabulous! Once you get the dimmer on and the three lights are able to really look more like candles, it's going to be truly stunning, I think.

Glad you love it. and agree, 40 watt is the way to go, if not lower, in a bedroom.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Errant, not silly at all! I was so excited when I got my (refurbished, no less!) Miele White Star vacuum, and my long-wanted KitchenAid (basic) stand mixer, and with the kitchen down the hall from the laundry room, I could stand there and look back and forth at them, giddy with delight. I even began telling friends that they were dating.

Soâ¦.silly, bordering on unhealthy.

Best to have only a few things that really get you jazzed, IMO. Otherwise, you're left just wanting the next thing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Excellent! I like it so much, I'd love to use it in my guest room, but DH would have a baby to spend money on something like that when what we've got is perfectly fine...

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful light! I'm with Annie. If I could sneak one of those in for my guest room, I'd do it as well, but I'd eventually have to get DH to help hang it.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Very pretty, Holly-Kay, and a dimmer will be perfect.

Annie, last year, my husband bought a new car when his old one was perfectly fine. Big mistake on his part. Big. I'm pretty much set in the "I-want-to-replace-this-around-the-house" department!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant, not silly at all. I went to bed early and watched another episode of Downton Abbey, of course I had the ceiling light on because I loved looking at the beautiful rays of light from the glass.

Tib, you are so right about limiting yourself. Last year I started a total kitchen reno and then it carried over to redecorating my living room, and now the bedroom. At one point during my kitchen reno I was just getting burned out with all the new stuff coming through the door. What keeps me balanced is the fact that the kitchen renovation and redecorating had been sadly neglected for many years as my focus was on our businesses. We have been in this house for 18 years and it was way past time to start.

Ob2B, KSWL, and Oly thank you. OB you were so right when you said that the search would turn up the right one, and KSWL what I love about this is that it isn't overly stylized. It is a classic and should work well for many years.

Tib, I am going to buy some lower wattage bulbs. I agree that even the 40 watt ones are brighter than needed but DH will be installing the dimmer and that will help.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Holly, that looks just perfect! Love the play of light on the ceiling and the dimmer will make it even better (hmm....better than perfect?).

I am always surprised at how bright ceiling fixtures can seem with 40 watt bulbs.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

HK, post a pic once you get the dimmer.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, I will definitely post photos when the dimmer is on. I really have to thank you again for your wonderful suggestion. I am so very pleased with how lovely it looks in my room. DH removed the glass so I could do a quick rub out of fingerprints. I didn't notice until the light was up and turned on that DH left fingerprints on the brass cover and it was driving me nutso.

I am so glad that I went with the flush mount version rather than the bigger semi flush version because this one is the perfect size. I do plan on using other versions of this throughout other areas of my house.

Outside and Annie, it is so pretty that it would be worth the frowns from your DHs. I know it's a lovely light because even DH agreed it'd lovely and he doesn't give a wit about décor.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Pretty room! Nicely done.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

So very charming and elegant, Holly-Kay! You have created a beautiful retreat. The dimmer will be absolutely fantastic. I love the glow that the lamp creates and with the dimmer-- wow.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Hey, you found that light, HK, not me, and I'm so glad you love it.

I agree, re: the fingerprints. They'd drive me batty as well. Really looking forward to seeing the dimmer pics.