Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

Where would you live in Minneapolis?

muskokascp
9 years ago

Does anyone know the city of Minneapolis ? If you had to live there what neighborhoods would be your top choices and with a good high school system? What is the typical architecture and house type for this area and how is the housing market?

Any insight appreciated!!

Comments (13)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

On lake Minnetonka.... So pretty

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Do you mean the city proper? Or the general area?
    I used to live there, Lake Minnetonka area, years ago still have friends there. It's beautiful. My first choice.
    If I had to move back I would go to the west of 494 and south of 12. Closer in - then Edina area.
    No idea about high schools.

• rxforthesoul
    9 years ago

Almost any suburb in any direction would be better than Minneapolis itself.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

I lived in the Crocus Hill area of St. Paul in a home just behind the cathedral and then we moved to the Lexington/Grand area. Both would be considered urban. Edina Realty and Coldwell Banker are the 2 best realtors for that area.

To say that anything is better than living in Mpls is wrong IMO. If we were to live in the city, we would have focused on the area around Lake Calhoun or Lake Hariet, or the Nokomis area, Homes are older in the city and in these areas are well maintained. We are old home lovers.

One will not find cookie cutter subdivisions within the cities of Mpls or St Paul. The communities are older.

Suburbs - that's a totally different story.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minneapolis neighborhood map

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Many nice areas within the cities--my sister lived in the Lake Calhoun area for many years. Lovely houses, near lakes, older, handsome houses--and alleys!

• lovetorenovate
    9 years ago

I lived there through college... we always lived in older neighborhoods, along Minneahaha parkway, near Lake Nokomis, Lake Harriet. If I had a big budget, I'd live near Lake of the Isles. I would have to research schools, but I definitely prefer in town, walkable neighborhoods and generally, the schools are quite good in Minnesota - although your perspective may vary based on where you are moving from...

• selcier
    9 years ago

If you want more detailed info, I would look on the city-data forum. I have read the recommendations for my city and they have been spot on.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

Agree 100% with jmc01. My vote is for St. Paul--I, too, live in Crocus Hill. St. Paul is an urban area of neighborhoods with a small town feel and fabulous older homes. If I moved across the river I'd look for the same in an area such as Linden Hills around Lake Calhoun. Or a downtown urban condo on the river. Or a bungalow in Longfellow. There are so many great areas. I would choose any of them over the suburbs in a heart beat!

jmc01 are you still in St. Paul?

• Linderhof1208
    9 years ago

Lake Minnetonka in a heart beat! The Minnetonka schools are highly rated as well. Our DD lives in Excelsior. It's a small town in a big city! And on the Lake!

Martha

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Re: Excelsior--in a great area, by the way. A great paint store! Handles Fine Paints of Europe and has truly fabulous customer service.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Marita, was up there last month for a long weekend (wedding in Mears Park and reception across the street) and visit annually.l..but have lived in IL for about 9 yrs now.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Back in the late 90s my wife I I lived in the twin cities area. Since she worked north of Minneapolis and I worked south of St Paul, we chose to look for a place approximately equidistant from our jobs, and ended up living first in White Bear Lake near the center of the town, and then in Hugo just north of there on Bald Eagle Lake (or rather just across the street from being on the Lake)

> If I had a big budget, I'd live near Lake of the Isles

I used to love driving around that area dreaming I had a big-enough budget.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

My late husband was from MN, and lived in Edina. It was a wonderful 'old' neighborhood where he lived on Halifax South, but several years after we sold his parents cape cod home, a modern structure was built. The schools are top notch, and when he was in high school back in the 50's, 99% of the graduates went on to graduate from college. I would get on the Internet and look at statistics that are important to you and your family. It's also very close to the beautiful Lake Minnetonka. Your best bet is to drive thru the various neighborhoods and 'see for yourself.'