Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

New house pics -- before and after

nutsaboutplants
9 years ago

For the sake of closure, I wanted to update the kind folks on this forum who gave feedback on wood flooring finish and paint colors. For those of you who may recall, I was debating whether to move to a bigger house to accommodate my wonderful packrat husband. After much deliberation, we decided to move, but not to a significantly bigger house. Here are some pictures of the "new" house. Floors refinished (it's wood everywhere except bathrooms), walls, ceilings, trim etc painted. Apologies in advance for multiple follow ups. I don't know how to post more than one pic at a time. All feedback welcome.

Comments (52)

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Keeping room, another view.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Breakfast area

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Very nice. Congrats on not only making a decision to move, but also actually deciding on the house.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Master bedroom

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another bedroom

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Backyard and garden from the living room

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Very nice. The floors are beautiful and I love the white trim and plantation shutters!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back porch, covered and otherwise

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Foyer chandelier. Wondering whether I should switch this one out with the one in the dining room. Would like to know what others think.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dining room chandelier. Switch out with the one in the foyer? Don't know why these two appeal to me the other spot than the one they are in right now.

• Jules
    9 years ago

It's really nice. I love those shutters!

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Beautiful all around. What I wouldn't give for that back yard ....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love that lush backyard. Lots of great builtins, nice room sizes, ceilings, trim.

We can't wait for us ... err you ... to get started!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Before picture of the keeping room. The wall, ceiling color was a mauvish beige and the floors a light oak with a flat finish. All in all, there was no significant demarcation of walls, ceiling and floors in the intensity of the colors. Looked fine, but I needed some contrast.

• User
    9 years ago

Love what you have done with the floors!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks finallyhome, holllykay, juju, mtn and nightowl! Here us the kitchen, but the countertops and backsplash will be redone with Cinderella Gold. Next week. Will post pictures when done.

A dangerous feature of the house is a water fountain, which kids find irresistible. Water splattering on wood floors. May close off the water supply to this spot, except that the wet bar is just around the corner from there. Same connection. Not sure how to get water to one side but not the other.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

You made wonderful choice, happy for you.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kswl! The floors were not the right color even after the first two coats, so I had to ask the flooring guys to add color to the third coat too, and then a little bit even in the last coat. Here is a before picture of the living room.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Yayagal!

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Beautiful home! I have never see a drinking fountain in a house before. I kind of love that.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Me neither louislinus. But there it is, and our friends' kids love it. Our son is 21, but even he commented that it was interesting.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Beautiful home and yard.......congratulations!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Joanie!

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Beautiful. I think I like the drinking fountain too :-)

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks redlover. Anyone has any thoughts on changing the location of the two chandeliers?

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Love the home and the yard. You will enjoy those covered porches!

tina

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I like both chandeliers. If the heights work in both spaces, switch them at will. To me, the dining room chandelier seems taller with that top piece.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Congratulations on the move! What a great place.
    Your floors are so pretty as well as those chandies. I like them where they are. Agree they could switch out with regards to ceiling height.

• anitamo
    9 years ago

Beautiful floors! The backyard and patio will be your private oasis.

• lovemrmewey
    9 years ago

Dear Nuts About Plants! Love everything you have done! Could you share the names of the paints you used for walls and trim? It looks to be great.
    Thanks!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tina, fun2Bhere, anitamo, missy moo and lovemrmewey! Lovemrmewey the walls are Eddie Bauer Flax (EB24-3 I think) in flat finish, color matched by Sherwin Williams.The ceilings are 75% Flax and 25% white. The trim, crownmolding, etc is SW Pure White ( which actually has a tint of SW Amber, which is their brown). Very pleased with Flax. No undertones whatsoever and consistent in all lighting.

Fun, Missymoo, thanks for noticing the height difference between the chandeliers. That helped me decide. Since the front door/foyer will serve as one of the entrances for bringing in furniture and big items, I don't want a low chandelier in that spot. Eagle eye both of you!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Lovely house! The backyard has a wonderful "secret garden" feel to it.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope you don't tire of me. Here are some more pics. Here is the master bathroom, with a privacy courtyard by the tub. Thanks coll!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Master bathroom.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MBR closet

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wet bar which will double as DH's coffee station. He's quite the barista, roasting and grinding his own coffee. I don't have as much cabinet and counter space in this house as in my current house. So he's being sent off to use the wet bar for his coffee. Also, this is he fully a way to contain his coffee stuff.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bathroom in the study. Love the wallpaper and I'm not a wallpaper person.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bathroom in DS's bedroom, which had a pink wallpaper until last week. Now a medium brown.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A much appreciated feature: stairs to the attic.

• mirandajae
    9 years ago

OH my gosh it is beautiful!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Miranda!

• loribee
    9 years ago

What a great house...enjoy!!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks loribee. The movers will be here in 30 minutes and I'm so behind. Will keep everyone posted!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Congratulations! I hope the move goes smoothly. You certainly chose a wonderful place and your changes are beautiful. I love that brick wall you can see from the tub! Someday, my husband will be telling people that we didn't buy a house, we bought a stone wall and the house happened to come with it! I am partial to old walls, obviously. ;)

Wishing you lots of happiness in your new home!

• evenshade
    9 years ago

What a beautiful place! Your built-ins are fabulous and I love your woodwork and floors.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

oh what a beautiful home and gardens! wow oh wow! be sure to post pics again with furniture!

"We can't wait for us ... err you ... to get started!"

I 2nd that!!!

• User
    9 years ago

Just looked at the picture of the LR again and see that the mirror with the blue oval inset that you are considering for the foyer is over the mantel. It's def too small for that particular mantel, but I like its presence and would love to see you try it in the foyer!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Love love love your new house. Your updates are great. I am so much my mother's child (we see disaster at every turn). I'd remove that water fountain in a heartbeat. I see some little sweetheart who isn't being closely watched, stopping up the drain and overflowing the water onto your gorgeous new floors. I think a plumber could cap the water off pretty easily.

Can't wait to see it furnished and decorated.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cyn, evenshade, desertsteph, bbstx, thank you! Cyn, I love the wall by the tub and the courtyard surrounding the tub. Sadly, this view is probably the only thing I'll enjoy as our frantic lifestyles haven't lent themselves to relaxing baths. But you know, perhaps I should change that and make time to do things like take a long bath instead of a hurried shower. Your comments encourage me to try a different view of the wall.

Kswl, that picture of the third mirror over the mantle was before new paint and floors when I was trying different small things around the house waiting for painters to start. I tried the first and third mirrors in the foyer and the first one proved to be too strong for that spot, with both the chandelier and mirror so close in distance, both equally big and dominant and so disparate in style. So, third mirror it is for the foyer, as partial as I am to the first one. Have to find a different spot for it, one that respects its features and accommodates them.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bbstx, you're right, I should get a plumber to come shut off connection to just the drinking fountain and keep the one to the wetbar/coffee area. I'm worried that kids too short will try hard and try to reach it. Putting a step stool is also tricky. So, perhaps cover it up with something on top? I asked the painter to get it out and redo the drywall behind it and somehow all that got lost in a month long marathon session of painting, floors, counter top and stove decisions. You make a good point. I should disable that fountain.