Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

o
DR Mantle Artwork

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 20:33

Well, by now you might think I'd have this done. (see old post below).

But when we arrived in May, the painters had painted the DR white by mistake, and I told them to hold off. It has been white all summer. I am worried about blue because you can see into the LR from the DR (despite a pocket door). If I picked up the blue from the blue wallpaper in the LR, it would be a very bright even juvenile blue. If I went with a grey-er blue, it would not work with the LR IMHO.

So, I've done nothing. I never got around to checking out the local source for oyster plates for over the mantle.

Except, I picked out this fabric for the (16 foot long) window seat cushions). I will have just a few pillows in each corner, TBD. I like the mood of the fabric and I think the colors work w my LR.

photo photo_zpsfd14f3cf.jpg

Sooooo, anyway, I can't even remember how I came across this today, but I really like it. I like the colors, the theme, the sense of motion. I know it is almost iconic, but i still like it. I might frame it in a birds eye maple? thoughts?

photo Screenshot2014-09-01at74506PM_zps9b1accb9.png

Here is a link that might be useful: old post on same subject

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DR Mantle Artwork

The strong graphic nature of the painting looks very much at home with the fabric you have chosen for the window seat. It almost looks Japanese to me, except I don't recognize the boats. I like it very much!

It also gives you a putty/ gold color and that sliver of aqua green in the front to pull in for accessories or pillows.

Doesn't help with the wall color, though...

o

I think it's Hokusai Katsushika , Great Wave off Kanagawa.

I think you could go with a greyer version of the blue in the wallpaper that *looked* like it without being so bright or juvenile.

The wave woodblock is one of my favorites, but I don't think it's very Maine-y or dining room-y.

o

If you like it the painting is a keeper! Finding art one really loves is not always so easy. Now that I see art you like I feel I know you better. I love looking at peoples art picks when they really mean it and not just because it matches something. However, it does go well with everything.

o

So it is Japanese? In that case it would be the PERFECT thing for our fictional sea captain to have on display. His merchant voyages surely took him to the orient, and from there he furnished his home with all manner of apart and curiosities.

o

Jterri,
It's a print, ie a copy; wikipedia calls the original "one of the best recognized works of Japanese art in the world". There is something about it I like, and my family likes it too (very hard to get agreement on art).

Yes, Pal, it is of course. I recognized the image but I didn't realize how old it was; I thought it was more recent, seeming almost cartoon-like. I dunno, so many old houses in New England would have oceanscapes, i see this as a riff on it.
I just don't know about the paint color, still contemplating.

KSWL, Yes, Japanese. I was thinking of borrowing from the yellow/gold tones to use the birds eye maple frame.
I too like it with the fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Great Wave

o

Love the birdseye maple frame plan! And if you've got the agreement of five people that's practically a miracle. I must say I like this idea better than the oyster plates, but you can probably still use that idea elsewhere in the DR.

o

Thanks, KSWL.

Does anyone know the best source to buy prints? I think a lot of places will sell this print ... how do i get the best quality?

tia

o

Part of the issue is going to be that the quality of the print becomes almost irrelevant, because the image is so ubiquitous. You could get a decent print on Art.com or someplace like that, in a size that suits.

I think if you want an oriental/Japanese print, particularly ukiyo-e style, you could get a genuine waterscape that gives you much the same feeling without the ubiquitous-ness.

I dunno, to me it would be kind of like hanging a print of the Mona Lisa. Nothing the matter with it I guess, but it can send a message that you "stopped trying" I think.

o

Yes, that's what I meant by "iconic". At least to some audiences. But, it's not like hanging a Winslow Homer, which is both iconic and expected, KWIM?

The MFA Boston also sells prints, which at least benefits a good cause.

I did try a brief search for other Japanese woodcuts with a similar theme, but I am totally ignorant of the genre so i would not want to pay very much.

o

I love Japanese woodblock prints, and that one is probably the most well known of all of them...which is why I agree with palimpsest that it doesn't feel quite right for that space. Wood block prints are typically fairly small, so the scale is also throwing me off. I would like it in a powder room or something, though....and oddly enough since I just complained about the scale, I've always wanted to paint a mural inspired by that image...(I'm also in New England so the theme of the ocean comes up a lot for me.) I looked at your other thread and the room is lovely...I just think it calls for something more unique or special up there.

o

My guess is that most, if not all, of mtn's friends and family likely to see the print are not so conversant with Japanese woodcuts that it would look like the "Mona Lisa" of waves to them. There are millions of copies of an iconic watercolor of Mt. Fuji floating around too, but that doesn't lessen the beauty of it because it has been reproduced so many times.

o

Coll_123,
If you google it, someone painted it on the side of a townhouse somewhere,amongst a zillion other places!

o

No, of course reproductions of masterpiece paintings or prints are still beautiful and people enjoy them. My feeling was that over mantle space would look more interesting with something less widely recognizable, as that print certainly is. I actually like the OP's idea of doing an arrangement of framed vintage New Yorker covers, mentioned in the earlier thread. I like the pillows too.

o

Omg mtnrdresux...there are soooo many murals of that image out there!!! And I thought I was so original with that idea - HA! I'd still love to paint one some day....I love that image supersized like that.

o

I don't like recognized reproductions of familiar art, and that definitely is.
Why not buy something real, local (although not necessarily) and authentic?

A print, unless it's real, just seems to cheapen everything. You have put so much thought into this that searching for art online seems such a letdown.

o

I am one for original art in main living areas . Still, a print is art and I think if you and your family likes it you should buy it and make it unique with your framing ideas. A nice quality frame is art in itself .

o

Bumble,

Yeah, I get your point, but I have a lousy track record with art. I don't see much I like, and then when I buy things I usually end up not caring for them in a 3-5 years.

I could buy an actual reprint of this, but it would be too small.

o

True prints are numbered and a specific type of print: i.e a lithograph, a lino cut, an engraving.
I have some of everything in my house including reproductions, but for all the effort M as put into the details of this home, settling for something found on art.com is actually disturbing.

Why on earth is art the last thing considered? Why, is a cheap repo fine, but a cheap stove is not?

o

"A print, unless it's real, just seems to cheapen everything. "

I don't understand that statement at all. A decent print of something you really like is better than an "original" if you are just buying the latter because it is original. By that logic, the best things are all unique prototypes, whether it be a sofa or a pen and ink drawing. It's hard to find a room full of one offs :-)

o

A cheap stove would be fine, if i found one I liked. A cheap anything is fine, if I like it. I have lighting that cost 5k each and pendants that cost $90 each.

You can buy an old woodblock reprint of the Great Wave There are lots of those around, but i the original size is small.

I actually was looking on the Met's website for something else and wondered in. I suppose art.com is fine.

Maybe I need help buying art. But when i wonder in and out of galleries, I usually don't like much. I have done that over the summer, admittedly one could do it for years.

I have bought art in the past and given it away or store it, because I just don't like it anymore. So after those experiences I don't feel excited about dropping a ton of money on art.

o

I have to agree with many of the posts above.

You can also find this print at World Market and Target. And you can buy switch plates and clocks to match!

o

I absolutely love the fabric.

I am very familiar with the artwork, so for me, I almost don't "see" it because I've seen it a million times. It's famous because it's so beautiful.

But, that's me. It's your home, and since it works for your family (and who cares what guests think-- they don't live there or pay the bills!), go for it.

Bumble, I don't know about Mtn, but for me, artwork isn't the last thing considered, but it is absolutely the hardest part for me, so it tends to come last. I like a lot, but don't love a lot, esp. in my budget!

o

Yes, and nail polish decals, too, and I think you can get a shower curtain!

Did you see the site called deviant art where they did a sort of remix with Starry Starry Night?

o

Shop your local Maine galleries for an artist whose work appeals to you. Your mantel is a focal point of your lovely DR (well, beside the ocean view.....) I can see a more traditional painting there.

We feel in love with a Cape artist, John Dowd, who does a yearly painting of Provincetown. We bought a signed print last year (his 2013 print) and this year bought his 2014 print a few weeks ago. Last night we had dinner in Provincetown and saw so many artists whose work we admire, but their works are not in our price range.

We would not spend the money on a Dowd original but the prints suit our needs are seem to becoming a family tradition.

Have fun with this and buy local if you can!

o

I don't think you have to have original art, but that image is just TOO famous to use in such a prominent spot. But hey, a print is a small investment and you could always get one and live with it ...one day you may run across something you lke better. I live in Maine and a lot of antique stores around here have vintage coastal paintings, etc, if you're trying to stay within that theme. But like you said, it can be a long process, and there is plenty of not great original art out there, too!

o

Bonnie,

It's only been a summer, but I did want to buy local and I did go to many galleries. I didn't care for anything. Maybe I will come across something someday, but in the meantime I'd rather enjoy something I really find compelling (no sh!t) than buy the umpteenth saccharine oil of the local harbor, KWIM?

It kind of reminds me of when I decorated the MBR in our last house, about 10yrs ago. I wanted an oil painting in the niche over the master bed. What i really wanted was the Odalisque I'd seen at the Louvre. Because it is relevant, I will share that, at that time, I was willing to spend ~10k. I know you know, you cannot buy the Odalisque for that. : )

What I did buy I no longer care for. I was somewhere, i think on a museum tour, when the docent was talking about the difficulty of painting hands. She said too often they look like a bunch of bananas. I came home, looked at my painting, and saw bananas. I have it in my house now but, if it had been a print for a few hundred, it would probably be at Goodwill. Of course, I have also heard it said that the Odalisque's derriere looks like a sack of potatoes, so I may have tired of that as well if my doting DH had pulled off an art heist for me.

For those who are artistic themselves, they may find a lot of art that they enjoy that has not already received the masterpiece imprimatur. For those of us lacking in artistic talent, it may be harder.

o

I love that print, but it is just too ubiquitous now...I'm afraid it's approaching the geese of the 1970's in its commonality. Your home is too special. If you like the genre, what about looking for something to meld a more Maine look with Japanese art, maybe like this:

or this:

or

o

I love olychick's 2nd and 3rd picks. Mysterious and gorgeous!!!

o

I like the JohnDowd work; a bit Hopperesque to me.

But, for example, I like the oil below. It's $6500. That seems like a lot for a nice, pleasant painting. I find it pretty, but not interesting. I am not sure how long one could contemplate it.

Compared (grossly unfairly) to the Great Wave print ... I feel that print illicits an emotion. I feel there is a lot to look at and dissect in the print.

Anyway, as i said in my first post, it is iconic. It probably belongs more in my son's BR. Hung in the DR, it looks like the owner is naive. Hung in a teen room, he would look worldly, lol.

That said, I do bet that 90% of my visitors would not know what it is. Which is the fulcrum here; if it's ubiquitous to the viewer, it's odd.

Olychick, Good choices. But the second two are too somber for the (all white) room. (And I am not going to pretend that I am not looking for art in a certain palette, with a certain mood, and shape and size!) The first is too like a poster. But I see where you are going.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 23:59

o

"Hung in the DR, it looks like the owner is naive..... or likes it and doesn't give a damn.....Hung in a teen room, he would look worldly, lol....or that his mom bought it....

A zillion images of the wave out there, and yet still so many still waiting to see it for the first time and not knowing what they have missed. Think of it as a public service :-)

o

Mtn, I have a print of the same piece, purchased when we lived in Tokyo, in one of the print shops in Omotesando, up the street from where the kids went to school. See, if you had purchased it when you were in Tokyo, then it would be an "original" or at least an original souvenir! :-)

I actually purchased it because it was one of the ones DS1 liked. Now he wants nothing in his room, so I'll save it for later in life when he might appreciate a souvenir from his time in Tokyo.

You should look for art in your travels. Original oils can be found for very low prices. Remove the canvas from the wood frame/stretcher and then it is very easy to roll the canvas and bring it back home. You want to dump the frame anyway, as it might have some exotic insects in the wood and you don't want to bring those back home!

o

Teehe, KSWL. Its funny you should say it's a public service, because I thought that myself. Already tonight I have exposed my kids and DH to a work of art and even a style with which they are not familiar. I imagine Id be doing that I lot if I hung it in our house.

But anyway... Chispa. Good idea. Wont' work too well for Antarctica tho, LOL!

o

Well, I missed it somehow and I've been to Japan, so I don't think people will be all jaded and yawning over it, lol.

o

If you're interested in New England artists and have a rainy day with some free time, you could always gallery hop via the internet to such sites (below). You will find the "saccharine oil of the local harbor" sort, but many that are not. Such gallery websites might be worth exploring. There's no harm, no foul in not filling the space immediately.

Your lovely home deserves a meaningful and beautiful piece of art over the dining room mantel.

http://www.rockportusa.com/Art-Galleries.cfm

http://rockyneckartcolony.org/artists.php

Rockport, Mass., is an artists colony as is nearby Rocky Neck in Gloucester.

Or in Brunswick: http://www.bayviewgallery.com/artists.html

In Camden: http://www.camdenfallsgallery.com/

http://smallwondergallery.com/artists/hueppchen.html

An internet search with more specific terms than the one I used might yield a painting, quality print or an artist whose work interests you. A quick-clicking finger can cover miles in precious little time!

Bonne chance.

o

Sometimes a certain piece of art just speaks to you. Its funny that you mentioned wInslow Homer earlier. When I was in art school in DC, a Homer show came through one of the galleries that was called "Winslow Homer at Prouts Neck". I had no idea where that was, had never been to Maine. But I remember being absolutely mesmerized at the large paintings of the surf crashing on the rocks...the paintings hung on dark taupe walls and they just absolutely glowed and had such presence. I remember them vividly, and the mood they created. Now that I actually live here, I'm amazed at how he captured the the Maine coast . As an aside, I don't care for his watercolors or most of the figurative works ...those don't speak to me...but those handful of pure ocean paintings are a different story. Pictures/ prints I've seen of them do not do them any justice. That's probably true of printed reproductions of oil paintings in general. I think things like woodcuts would make better reproduction prints as the colors tend to be more muted to begin with.

o

"Well, I missed it somehow and I've been to Japan, so I don't think people will be all jaded and yawning over it"

Maybe it's more common on the west coast, where there is more Asian influence? But once it's being sold at Overstock, Target and World Market, it doesn't seem like the right piece in a dominant place for such a special home.

Here is a link that might be useful: availability

o

Coll_123, Good point about woodcuts. Plus to me the problem with a print of a painting is there is no texture anymore.

Seeker, thanks, I will take a look.

KSWL, me too, prol'y a dozen times or more on business, and only last year with the family on vacation (and we still did not see it!), where we took your restaurant recommendation. To be honest though, I have never particularly liked art from that area of the world and probably skipped most related exhibits.

As far as it being on Target, World Market, etc. Yes, along with 932 other items under "Wall art" at Target and 257 items at World Market. Are all 1,189 of those ubiquitous? How about Overstock, which has 45,226 items in its Art Gallery! As for the geese reference ... I have not seen this print in any shelter mags; has anyone else? If I were to draw an analogy to the geese thing, it would probably be the oversized "horse portraits" I see most of.

At the end of the day, it really rests on whether the viewer sees it as trite or not. And that rests on familiarity. The jury is still out for me. Most of what I saw in galleries this summer was trite, too, without nearly the power of this image.

In any event, thanks for the input and suggestions! Art is the hardest part for me for sure.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 8:54

o

I forgot, here' s one i do like.

o

Interesting that you found deviant art...my cousin posts a lot of his work there....nothing you'd be interested in...he does lots of nudes.

I'm in the "mona lisa" camp and think you can do better. I did have a small image of the wave under my blotter at work for years. But on a wall, it's too kitschy for me.

If you really want it, I'd rather see it modernized in some way...haven't seen the starry night mash up, but I'd even think many coasters or different shapes of the image that are mounted on wood blocks of different shapes and depths could take the icon out and yield a new take on it while keeping the same color scheme.

I do like the beach scene above, but is it a good shape for the space? (It looks like a photo run through waterlogue...)

You may not find original art in antarctica, but you will be able to take some incredible pictures there...it is so beautiful and the colors are fabulous. Maybe you can do something with your own photography...

o

I guess I’m taking this more common print thing differently due to the setting it will be in. As I said before, personally I prefer original art in living areas.
In this beach house though with fine features and fine furnishings and a lot of surfaces and upholstery that one would need to be careful with…well, to me this print says come on in and be comfortable, we are fun, unpretentious and like to take the piss a bit at all our money. This particular common print in a fantastic artistic frame could still speak to people.
Now, if you put the same print in a home where someone was attempting style with cheesy furnishings and cheap products the message would be very different.

o

Annie,

It is a photo run thru waterlogue. : ) And to me, it is trite albeit it's original, and pretty. LOL

I have zero talent as a photog. and would not want to be reminded of Antarctica while summering at the beachhouse.

Totally get you on how a riff on Great Wave is better than the print. I actually thought i might find a paint by number of it, LOL. Or, the other direction and get a genuine Great Wave, but then i'd need a few. Now the price is headed up again.

JTerri, I have never heard "like to take the piss a bit at all our money", but I think I can guess what that means. In my first house, I did want a house that said "I've arrived" and therefore went quite formal. I don't like that look anymore. I'd rather a house be pleasant, comfortable and interesting.

o

I think the fact that it's ubiquitous and expected is what makes it work in your space, it's a response to your fabric also. . It is a strong visual , the message is clear, and you can change it once your attraction to it dies......... or you might grow fonder of seeing it there as time goes by.

o

You could always commission a caricature artist to paint a picture of you and your family with the person in the middle holding the big wave print lol. I think that would be great because it would come with a story behind it. In fact, I love that idea!

Edited to add: I like this artist … http://alephtavart.com/tag/art/

But there are many you can send a photo to.
http://www.caricatureking.com/caricature-artists.php
http://www.giveacaricature.com/Index.shtml

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 9:57

o

I love familiar art. I'm that way with music, too.
I like the wave very much.
But I like Winslow Homer the best. (sorry to hammer. I know I said that last time around. but I'm right! :)
Always something new to see in there.
And bliss never really gets old, does it?

o

When we had a second home, I wanted it to be pretty and interesting and comfortable, but I did not want to worry about the things that can happen to good art in a house that is not occupied regularly. Pipes burst, break-ins happen, overzealous kids (and brothers-in-law) throw balls indoors.

I like The Wave. I like The Wave in your DR. Your family likes it. Buy it, hang it, and wink at the world!

o

p.s. Where did the oyster plates go?

o

Jamies, I never got around to making the trip to see them. I also decided they would be too blah if I didn't paint the DR.

o

Well, I suppose if you wanted to change up the familar art, you could always run it through an artistic effect filter in your photo editing program and have it printed. As an artist, I should be aghast at this idea, but I sort of like this...this would actually be something easy to do in actual paint, too

photo greatwave1_zpsc730764d.jpg

o

Mtn, I like the piece of art for the space, and love the fabric. It seems that if your family likes it, you like it and there is a consensus, it will work for you, I'd stop looking for the present time. I've forgotten what you plan to do for WTs.

Have you considered going with a cream for the walls (something that would go with the birds eye maple frame and the bit of bamboo color in the print) or just going with white? Something to offset the bold patterns and art might just work and let the bright prints and colors be the stars.

o

Have you seen these ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Chesebro Gallery - New Harbor, ME

o

Do you already have a picture of a sea captain somewhere in the house?

o

My guess is the primary reason many people are saying the art is too ordinary for YOUR home is because you often post about desiring unique and pricier items.

By all means, if you like the art, buy it! That's what art is all about. :)

I display all types of art -- both original and reproduced -- and one piece I like the best is a $40 canvas from Lowe's. I happen to get a lot of compliments on that piece, too. My friends (and a couple people here) know I freely mix higher end new items with very low cost used items and everything in between for furniture, decor, clothes, etc., so I'm guessing someone like me wouldn't hear "don't do it" like you might. GWers know you spent a significant dime on sofas and fabrics, for example, while I was happy with slipcovered Ektorp from Ikea (love it BTW). Some may simply think your pricier furnishings should be accompanied by higher quality and more original art, especially since that's more "you," based on your posts on this site. I love the idea if mixing things up and do it all the time. I think you should proudly go for it, armed with the knowledge that the image is an in stock item at chain retail stores.

Just an observation upon returning home in my expensive convertible donning $8 shades, $45 mascara and $2 lipstick ...

Hey, whatever works!

o

Well, I haven't read all the responses. However, while I certainly like that Katsushika wood print, I think it's too, well, dorm poster. In fact, lots of my peers had it, together with their macramee lamps.

I'd look on Ebay for original art, maybe an antique print. Also, click on location: worldwide

Or directly from the artist.

BTW, I really like the beach painting you posted.

o

I dunno....if it's hot and sunny outside, a pic with just the right colors in it to remind the family of their "trip of a lifetime" might be just the thing...whether you are the photographer or not.

Or maybe wait til you get to Hawaii and do a riff on an east coast/west coast thing...a photo of a real wave.

o

My DH says he prefers THIS artwork for a number of "obvious" reasons .......

.......... (grin, cough cough) .........

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- On sale -- Mermaid!

o

Teacats, That is actually my kinda thing. We have an old rusty horse weathervane in our LR here, in part because I can't seem to buy paintings as easily as I buy things.

Annie, I think I don't like photos. Not sure I can say why. Maybe they feel modern?

NoscoccerMom,
The macrame was before I was into decor, so maybe its like fashion, you can't do it when it comes back if you were there the first time! LOL
I like everything you posted. BUT, the first one is so pretty but it looks like so many i have seen. They are all "right", but also something you really would not look twice at, KWIM (I know I am setting a high bar) . The next two are more interesting but maybe too sweet? IDK.

Juju, totally agree. If you have a good watch, for example, it elevates anything else you wear. One of my fave summer purses cost $7. I have to laugh when people compliment me.

Thanks, outside.

I will look, Arapaho.

Anele, No, I don't but it feels like I do, doesn't it? LOL. Probably because we have talked of him so much. I have an oil that was supposedly done of the first owner's DD. But she is not as handsome as one might hope. Don't have the heart to kill her off, but ...
I actually have a lot of art from the PO; probably 2-3 dozen things I still have to go thru (after winnowing considerably last year).

Thanks to all for your ideas. I have to be honest, I woke up this morning pro-Great-Wave. But I havent decide yet.

I also have been slogging thru the links people so kindly suggested. Hard work!

o

How about a print reminding you of what you are leaving behind: Paul Cadmus' Coney Island, 1935

o

I think you showed me that before Pal? Or maybe it was a NY er cover.
I hope you are kidding. But it would probably keep people from having seconds...

o

Something to glance at...

Here is a link that might be useful: lots of sea paintings

o

You should get it! Why should you NOT get it, just because it is popular?!? Seriously, have we lost our minds? I think it looks great there - put it up and enjoy it. That's like saying, "oh, granite is so last decade", in most houses granite is gorgeous. Like quartz is prettier?!? That is crazy.

I have never seen the painting before, and I agree that most people who visit your home will not be familiar with it - and who cares if they are? It looks perfect.

o

Juju, I had to laugh at your observation because that is so me...only the opposite with the sunglasses and mascara.

Totally agree with Glad2be. Put it up and enjoy it. At least for a while. If you find something else in a couple of years, this one could find a new home elsewhere in a spare bedroom.

o

Like juju and several other posters, I say go for it. Art is personal and if you love it and your fam loves it, you will love having it in your fab home. I would do it in a heartbeat and I think it will look great with all your wonderful fabrics!!

o

I think it's different, because granite is a building material, not something created by a human as a means of artistic expression. (Although Hosukai's 36 Views of Mt. Fuji--which Great Wave is a part of, and Hiroshige's 36 Views of Mt. Fuji are really part of a series of works that have religious and cultural significance, and I guess, are some sort of "documentation" as well as artistic expression)

The "Great Wave" is arguably the most recognizable of the *forty-six* prints in the 36 views series and of the later "100 Views..." series.

It's a great image, I don't think there's any argument about that. That's why you can get it on every from t-shirts to phone covers to mouse pads to ties and on and on.

But I think the argument people are making about it is that since the Choosing of Art is a means of expression by those who don't create their own art, choosing something so "common" to hang over the dining room fireplace sends a sort of message that the person who chooses it doesn't have much imagination.

I'd hang this in a bathroom (probably over the toilet, honestly) but there is So Much To Choose From that's appropriate, why over the dining room fireplace?

I would consider it, maybe if I could get an early reprint, but honestly an early 20th cent. reprint can run $1500 or more, which goes against one of the goals here, which is something not too expensive.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 19:02

o

I say go for it. Great art is great because is resonates with so many people.

o

If I was given a tour of your beach house, I would be simply awestruck. Then I would see "The Great Wave," take another look at your home and think, "banana hands."

But it's not for my enjoyment, so who cares?

o

Pal, I am totally willing to spend $1500 for something so compelling. To me, that is not terribly expensive for art. If you look at all the links people sent of original art, even the most amateurish originals easily cost that much (no offense intended).

But, I think the original would be way too small. Which I know is gauche, but there it is!

I know Sue, which is why anything else pales by comparison, as it should.

Pal's point:
"...the Choosing of Art is a means of expression by those who don't create their own art, choosing something so "common" to hang over the dining room fireplace sends a sort of message that the person who chooses it doesn't have much imagination."

It sends that message to those who recognize the image, yes, I agree. Maybe even worse than not caring, not realizing, LOL. But not to offend my stream of guests, lovely people all, I am willing to bet only one of them will recognize it.

To those who have seen it, your reaction might be "oh, that". To those who have never seen it, I bet most of them would like it and find it interesting. The vast majority of my guests will be the latter.

All that said, it is an interesting discussion. When are reprints interesting, when are they unsophisticated? I feel if I could find another of the artist's woodcuts that was less "popular", that would be ok.

BTW, has anyone ever seen this is a room IRL or a shelter mag or site?

o

It's a great image, that's why it's so popular. But it's been done to death. Years ago I was into polymer clay and it's in all the how-to books. People have transferred the crap out of that wave.

o

Look at Mark Mulfingers site. He has woodcuts, linocuts, batiks (my fav), paintings. Not very well known outside of this area but highly professional.
In another life, years ago, we were good friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mark Mulfinger

o

Mtn,
I do understand what you're saying. Take your time and really look into the local art world in Maine. We spent many summer weekends in Kennebunkport and love shopping Dock Square. Check out:
http://www.maine-art.com/

I was in no way suggesting Dowd in right for your house, but only encouraging you to continue to seek a local artist that you can support. Hopefully it will be someone who is alive and still painting, someone you can follow through the years.

Dowd is that artist for our family and our house. We searched long and hard to find something meaningful for our DR, and were thrilled to find his yearly print series. Buying his 2013 print and hanging it last summer was significant for us. We bought his 2014 and will hang it next weekend. Who knows how long we will continue to buy, but we know we will enjoy his art shows when he is in Provincetown (He divides his time between P-town and NYC).

In the meantime, buy the Waves and enjoy it. Maybe it will stay in that spot for a long time, but if not, it can easily be moved to another spot.

Make this fun! An adventure to enjoy!

o

Well if you decide not to ride the wave there is lots of other good stuff out there.

photo a937441b-9966-46e1-b9cd-746f93d4f130_zps08201b00.png
 photo dfea3829-729e-41d2-90af-cad440d08a3e_zps8ab5decc.png

photo MalexanderMckenzie_zps1f6c5768.jpg
 photo MAlexanderMcKenzie2_zps31f45a48.jpg

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 20:08

o

"BTW, has anyone ever seen this is a room IRL or a shelter mag or site?"

I think if it was in a house being featured by a shelter magazine, the stylist would probably take it down and put up something else. Unless maybe it was Philadelphia, (which never gets into national magazines anyway). You would see it here, along with Warhol's Poppies and Marilyn.

o

I think the colors of the 'print' you posted look very nice. Will it be too much blue with the fun fabric you have picked out?

One of my favorite local artists is John Nesta (Rocky Neck Art Colony/ Gloucester). His paintings are reasonably priced and he usually includes a lovely frame. (Possible road trip?). I couldn't find a lot of examples online (and his website seems to have expired) but I love the light in his paintings. Also, something yellow might go well with the blue fabric?

o

Maybe you should put these on the mantlepiece

o

Pal, lol

o

Pal, i agree wyou about a shelter mag, which is why I added IRL or on a blog...

Jterri, I don't like photographs much. Too modern, too perfect maybe, can't put my finger on it. There is one photo I really like (found it looking for sea images on 1stDibs, of a place where we snorkelled called the Sulu Sea,and then ran into this image). I love the colors and textures and exotic feel, but it is also appropos of nothing. IMHO if you chose art for art's sake, you need to do it throughout a room and house, not once all by itself. KWIM. Anyway here is a photo i love. It's from Yemen.

photo Screenshot2014-09-02at80827PM_zps87500a34.png

OdlBat2Be,
That is nice. I will have to look.

BTW, I would imagine most people would think that an actual woodblock reprint (if i understand correctly, the only form of this work produced) of the Great Wave would not only be ok, but pretty cool. However, it is small, so I think id need to pair it with more of the same genre.

This would prob cost, all in, with framing, a couple grand, but that is not a dealbreaker for something I really like. However, I think its pretty meh.

...Anyway, I think this controversy really has no answer; very much eye of the beholder as to whether a big Great Wave looks trite or cool.

o

LOL Pal, i actually love those flipflops!

o

Those are not photos, he is a wonderful perspective artist.
Check out his vid, very cool.

http://vimeo.com/82157889

Here is a link that might be useful: Alexander McKenzie

o

I think you need to keep looking.

o

Do you have grasscloth wallpaper anywhere?

o

If you are going to do that, I would rather see it the right size in a wide silk mat and a thin bamboo-style frame:

o

Take a look at Jim Holland.

Also, there's a great gallery in Portland called Greenhut Gallery. Might be worth a side trip. We happen to love Mary Bourke, who I believe is a Maine artist and I already know her work would probably not interest you at all, but they represent a lot of other artists and if you talk to them, they will pull out all sorts of stuff from the files.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Holland

o

When reading this thread I was reminded of a Gyotaku print I saw in Provincetown a couple of years ago. It was way out of my price range but really stuck with me. (I wanted it for my bedroom)

What about something like this? There are tons of places to look for them.

http://fishsarasota.com/image.php?image=images/prints/lg/l/striper_black.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Fish print

o

Allison, LOVE that grasscloth wallpaper the color is fantastic! We had a study with grass cloth in coral shades that was so wonderful I liked to just sit in there and enjoy it,

I have to say, I think this thread has gone beyond ridiculous. My guess is that many of the people decrying the image as trite never saw it before today. And does the ubiquitousness (is that a word?) of something in Japan really impinge on or inform our sensibility here? And even if it did, why would it matter?

Mtn, if I were you I would buy those damned wave flip flops by the gross and keep them in a big bucket for your guests to wear to the beach. And get the big print and to heck with all the second and third hand art snobbery, which would be funny if it weren't so ......not funny.

o

KSWL, I was thinking the same thing about the flipflops! Somewhere i read someone who said they had two big communal baskets, one w flipflops, one w sunglasses!

I do have to say, I don't think the people reacting negatively to using the print are being snobby for snobbism's sake. I think to some people it is literally so iconic as to be trite. But, true, they are perhaps more likely to post then those who might say "huh? never saw it... sure is purty ..."

: )

So, question is this, KSWL, would you go for the real thing if a bit small (see Pal's version), or would you choose the fake in the "right size".

Pal, so glad you did that mockup; i really didnt love all three. And I kinda hate prints arranges that way anyway.

o

I think you could combine multiple ubiquitous images. These are not my combos, I found them on the internet, where apparently, people are riffing on the wave, since it is now on flipflops etc.

Kawagana Cookie Monster/ Kawagana Starry Night:

o

In for a penny, in for a pound......I'd go with the big one. Honestly, it will look perfect there with the fabric and it is so much more graphic in the larger size, which at least is a SIZE riff off the original. :-). (The colors could almost be Marimekko.)

And if someday you find something fantastic you like better, swap it out. It won't have been so dear you feel obligated to it, and it can go in just about any of your other blue and white rooms.

Come on, Pal, can't you find anything that links that print to the Real Housewives or Honey Boo Boo? You're just not trying hard enough, lol!

This post was edited by kswl on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 21:31

o

Thanks, KSWL.

o

I love that photo from Yemen.
What a great conversation starter.
I love it.

o

I second the bucket of flip flops idea and agree on the bigger size!

Since you're still deciding, I wanted to share this artist who creates waves and other images from maps, which could be quite interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Matt Cusick Map Collages

o

I agree with everything kswl said in her last post. The big one is way more fun and believe me I'm a big artsnob and think a "real" sized one would be a bore. I grew up with those prints in my family home and loved them but they are too trite unless they are the real deal. The big version is just what your wall needs and since it's a print, big deal if you change it out when you find something really special for there. As an artist I hope you someday find a wonderful original painting you can't live without.

o

Lyban,

Thank you. I really love it too. But even if I weren't concerned about my family (what's with that guy? why Yemen Mom?), I do think you can't buy one thing like that and call it a day.

Plus, given my luck, it's probably quite dear!

o

Loved the blue rice paper!!!! And fish print. And the flip flops.

o

"I do have to say, I don't think the people reacting negatively to using the print are being snobby for snobbism's sake. I think to some people it is literally so iconic as to be trite. But, true, they are perhaps more likely to post then those who might say "huh? never saw it... sure is purty ..."

I am not an art snob...although I would be the first to admit that there is a lot of art out there, in the contemporary art world, that I would not pay serious money for. That said, galleries put on their cut and the price of original often art refects that. Believe me, no artist is getting rich off selling the occasional painting. But with the right marketing, I suppose some do better than most.

I am genuinely surprised there are people viewing this thread that have not run across this image in the past. In my mind, it is - yes- ubiquitous -- as Starry Night or the Mona Lisa, or Monet's water lilies..take your pic..even if you do nor know the genre, or the artist, have you really not seen this highly stylized image before??? I do NOT think that makes it trite...just not appropriate for a prominent location. BAthroom, guestroom, I'm all in...

o

Sorry behind schedule. Thanks again for all the suggestions and links!

Allison, yes, I do love the blue grasscloth. But, I have already wallpapered three rooms in a beachhouse. I don't think i want to do more, and my wallet really does not. I was shocked at the labor costs; about $150/hr? Plus when we bought our CT house we took down a whole lot of grasscloth, i don't feel like putting it back up.

Fishprint: nice, but reminds me of all the trout stuff we had at the lake ...

Lyban,
I was able to find a price on some of his other photos. Bad news; $3800. Of all the things I have looked at, apart from the wave, the old man reading is what I liked best! But i can see myself saying in a few years -- why did I spend 4k on an image of an old man from a country ive never been to. Ya' know. Here is the image that drew me in to look at his stuff, so much of it fabulous. We have at least been to the Sulu Sea .

Here is a link that might be useful: fab photos

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 22:17

o

Allison, that wallpaper is beautiful!!!

o

Christian Dior (John Galliano), 2007:

This post was edited by palimpsest on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 22:23

o

WOW, and you can wear flipflops with it.

It is actually beautiful. I have to tell you, each iteration just makes me appreciate Hokusai more.

o

"..even if you do nor know the genre, or the artist, have you really not seen this highly stylized image before???"

I was thinking the same thing. I am surprised that some on here think people wouldn't recognize this image.

I don't often like art. I can barely tell you who painted what. I never took an art class... and so on. However, I can tell you what images I have seen a million times. The poster who described it as "dorm" room art expressed what I thought when I saw the first photo, because it's one of the paintings they sell 3 for $20 on college campuses.

I don't post a lot, but I do read a lot of posts. I think I have a sense for how mtnrdredux styles her homes (beautifully, tastefully and carefully!) I think people are just surprised because an image you can buy everywhere on a poster doesn't seem to fit how she normally styles her homes... That doesn't mean she shouldn't do it, necessarily; it's just surprising.

o

If you hurry, you can see it on display at the Met.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metropolitan Museum exhibit

o

My guess is that many of the people decrying the image as trite never saw it before today.

Actually, I know someone who has it tattooed on his back. Talk about trite!

o

Actually, now that I think about it, the image I had of the wave had it morph into pixelation....I went to look for that version and came across this.

o

Years ago we went to the Barnes Foundation in Pal's neck of the woods and bought a small reproduction of one of Van Gogh's Postman series that we saw while we were there. Ornate frame, fake brush strokes, the works.

The image is not as ubiquitous as The Wave but still recognizable. I have the "painting" propped up on the desk where I sort the mail. The print is an inside joke for my family and a reminder of a lovely trip.

For many reasons, I wouldn't hang our Postman in a prominent place in my house. For us, it works great on the desk. I get the same feeling about The Wave. I think it has a place in your house but I don't think it works above your mantle.

o

I have taken three students to four different colleges countless times in wildly different regions of the country. We did not purchase posters for the walls of their rooms.

I have a mousepad which my bank kindly provided, a misguided attempt at advertising as no one else sees it.

I have friends who may or may not have tattoos, as they are not visible in normal social interaction (during which we all remain in our clothing).

I have never bought a couture dress from the House of Dior, and am not likely to in this lifetime.

Although I know who The Cookie Monster is, I have never watched Sesame Street (although I applaud their attempt to elevate preschool chat with cultural content). And we haven't had television service in almost twenty years.

I've lived in Atlanta, New York, St. Louis, Palm Harbor, New York, Rotterdam, and spent four years traveling in Europe in the seventies with a school that was relentless in its aim to have me spend days in every major art museum in Western Europe at least once. And I have continued to travel abroad, occasionally for months at a time, and in country, and still visit museums on a regular basis.

I do not shop at Target.

And until Mtnrdredux posted it here, I had not seen an image of The Wave, although I did recognize the style of art as Japanese.

Perhaps divorce from popular culture has kept me blissfully unaware of the ubiquity of The Wave and therefore able to enjoy it as art without the cultural detritus that apparently clings to it though its association with mouse pads, tv shows, tattoos and college dorms. And it's very possible that others whose cultural life has not been informed by tattoos and Target, will also be unfamiliar with the image and will be able to appreciate it for the very first time on Mtnrdredux' dining room wall.

As I said, she's almost performing a public service for people whose exposure to art has been more intentional but who just never got around to Japanese woodcuts or the poster section at a Bed, Bath and Beyond.

o

But not to offend my stream of guests, lovely people all, I am willing to bet only one of them will recognize it.
The image is one of my emoticon choices in my Ipad/iPhone so even if your guests have missed the flip flops, wedding dress, and leggings they might be familiar with the image.

I have a post card of the image, from the Art Institute of Chicago, hanging on my fridge. I've always wanted it painted on a car, like people do with flames on hot rods.

I say go for it. You like it. I like it. It's not a tattoo so you're not committing to forever. Don't spend too much on framing if you'll tire of it in a few years and demote it another wall. I like Pal's wide mat suggestion.

o

(Meekly raising hand) The image was new to me.

Maybe I've seen it before & it just never registered, but it was not familiar to me. I'm not a art enthusiast, but I've traveled a bit (U.S. & abroad) and enjoy visiting museums and local art galleries.

It may be because I've lived in NH & Maine all my life and that isn't an image that resonates as much with people decorating homes in Northern New England. DS lived in So. Cal & SF for a time and would probably cringe at my admission.

But there you have it. I would be one of Mtnrdredux's guests being introduced to the print had I not read this post.

o

If you love the wave, I think you should go for it. Its just a print, its not necessarily a longterm decision. And, if you are in Maine this weekend, or any othere future first Friday that is always artwalk. Maybe you will fall in love!

o

Perhaps divorce from popular culture has kept me blissfully unaware of the ubiquity of The Wave and therefore able to enjoy it as art without the cultural detritus that apparently clings to it though its association with mouse pads, tv shows, tattoos and college dorms. And it's very possible that others whose cultural life has not been informed by tattoos and Target, will also be unfamiliar with the image and will be able to appreciate it for the very first time on Mtnrdredux' dining room wall.

Dripping, absolutely dripping with snobbery. This was a fun thread.

o

Perhaps something by Robert Dente?

Regardless, I think some of those toned down blue grays in his pic would be a perfect shade for your DR as it will blend so well with the LR paper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Provincetown with sunbreaks

o

Thank you for your replies, which I don't have time to respond to right now. You guys keep sending me off on tangents, LOL.

Cercis, Thank you for the link! I am DEFINITELY going; we already had plans to go to the MOMA and the Met on Sept 25 since the kids have off. We are all looking forward to seeing it.
BTW, they too called it "iconic".

I played with it on Waterlogue (below). Maybe I could do a series, Warhol style. I also found someone who can make a needlepoint canvas. I wish I knew how to needlepoint, I think id kind of like that.

o

I actually promoted this (rather heavily) for somewhere in the house. Its a nine foot long wallpaper mural. There was a version of something like this on Masonite in one of the bathrooms(?). I know it's dated and sorta tacky.

So on the one hand I am a design snob, but on the other hand I don't like to take it too seriously. So this dated, sort of down-market, but expensive when new sort of thing is right up my alley, especially when it's on clearance as new old stock for 90% off. So, I think if I *did* hang The Wave, I would probably have to prop the flip flops next to it on the mantel just to show that I understood it wasn't art in the vein of "serious" art.

o
But I might

But I might have to do this, just to be weird:

o

A little classic McDonald's French fries now and then is a good thing:-)

The print is not a big investment and you can always move it later. I like the small matted print; with that version one would need to get a bit closer to engage with the image.

And, a shout out to the Met catalog (the Boston museum's too) and the USPS. Those were my main source of art education growing up on a rural route in the South. And yes, I later got a dorm room poster.

o

Hi Pal,
Yes, the 2nd floor hall bath had a sailboat mural. Since that bath was taken down to the studs, the mural is long gone. I ought to post it by the darn electrician still hasnt put my mirror sconces up. Another thread.

As to your suggestion, growing up we had a balcony between the kids bedrooms that overlooked the LR. My Mom had a mural very much like the one you showed, Pal. As kids we would do performances on that balcony for my parents. We often incorporated the mural into story lines. I also recall using it for a weather forecast backdrop.

So I can't even see it ironically; I see it as my Mom's decor (very heavy on the colonial, despite the house's modern bones). I am sure my girls will eschew my tastes when they grow up, too!

PS The other tongue-in-chic way to use the "Katsushika Hokusai's 'In the Hollow of a Wave off the Coast at Kanagawa' (popularly called "The Great Wave off Kanagawa"), about 1830-32, is to make the room an homage to the print, and use it several ways.

o

Oaktown,
I have never taken art history in college or grad school. I go to museums and walk around with those tape players or docents.
My exposure growing up was pretty much limited to a hand me down game called "Masterpiece". Funny story about it below

Here is a link that might be useful: Masterpiece Game

o

Voila!

o

wow! lots of responses to this thread!

not that you need any more feedback, but... the print is not what I would choose, done to death or not... i think i could find a painting or print that i liked a lot better for that spot- mainly because it doesn't feel at all like a maine beach house to me. (it says Hawaiian condo to me!! lol! tho, i wouldn't hang it there either... )
but, really, the important thing is that you and your family like it and agree on it!! i appreciate lots of different art- love to look at it and think about it... but purchasing something is a whole different thing! much of the art we have has been done by a family member or passed down from my parents... so all meaningful to me. and a favorite inexpensive ink and watercolor of ours was done by a street artist down south where we used to live. i also like art auctions where some of the $ goes to benefit something else... i can justify the purchase/commitment that way! lol
so, i wouldn't 'go shopping' for a painting for that spot- i would hang the print that your family agrees on and should you stumble upon something you absolutely love later, you could then move the wave somewhere else-- and i wouldn't worry one iota about what others who visit may think! it really would be unexpected which could add charm! :) but... i personally liked the new Yorker cover idea you were 1st toying with!!!

o
Cole and Son

Cole and Son makes a paper based on this image:

o

Pal, That looks a lot less horrible than I'd have thought. (a compliment!)

o

OOh my 10:22 post related to the mural version,

The Cole and Son, oh boy now I have to think about wallpaper again. The whole room? I usually hate accent walls but not sure I can do a SECOND whole room in all blue and white paper.

wait, is that Marinagal's paper?!

o

wait wait wait, i was at that sight before, a long time ago. I liked this but I forget why I ruled it out

Is it too much like my spoons around the corner in the BP?

o

Sorry you didn't enjoy the tongue in cheek reverse snobbery, magda ;-)
I couldn't resist the fun!

o

I hope you do get to see it at the Met. The exhibit closes on Sept 7, but perhaps it will be displayed elsewhere. I bought a small, framed postcard size repro of it for my first solo apartment after seeing it at the Met some 25 years ago.

I have other reproductions of well known art that could be termed ubiquitous - a Degas ballerina, A. Wyeth's Master Bedroom, and a few others. Not only do I like looking at them, but I also like to explore the history of and commentary about the art and the artist. I find it gives a rich dimension to the art beyond the lines and colors. Thank you for starting this thread as I now know more about Hokusai and The Great Wave. There's a BBC documentary on it which I'm going to look for.

I very much like your idea of doing a Wharhol-style series. You would be taking an iconic image and making it unique with your special vision.

o

Cercis, maybe we will go this weekend instead. In the comments section under the print, where they talk about rotating prints, it was a bit unclear. I have a feeling they must have it in the permanent collection too.

In re the Warhol idea, thanks! It's a step up from dorm room maybe. : ) especially with pricey frames lol

There is a radio show and the documentary

Here is a link that might be useful: learn more

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 11:03

o

Oh thank you!

And speaking of wallpaper, if you have time you might want to swing by Cooper Hewitt and check out the Immersion Room. You can select from among the museum's wallpaper collection and see what it looks like projected on the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooper Hewitt

o

Kswl, so it was satire? Didn't get that at all.

;-) right back at 'cha.

o

Def planning to stay with my day job, lol!

o

kswl, well, you had me going there. I thought, really? I had never gotten that vibe from you before, but you wrote it with such a straight face. :p

The only thing that gave me pause was saying you'd never seen Sesame Street. I cannot imagine surviving early childhood without it.

o

I think any patterned wall covering would be too much unless you were heading back in an Edwardian direction, which you aren't. Waves too close in scale to the Quadrille, and Fornasetti's fish too like the spoons somehow.

Of course a certain plain paper, (cough), would be perfect.

o

I've been reflecting on this interesting thread and a part of me is sort of coming around to the idea of using the wave somehow.

A few people commented on how the style doesnt seem to fit a coastal maine house and that kind of stuck with me. I'm a muralist and decorative painter and the vast majority of my clientele lives on the coast of ME and NH. And there is a certain look that comes with that..iside and out, architecturally, choices of fabrics, fixtures, art, you name it. It's nice, but, it also can be repetitive and expected. I have been asked to do a lot of nautical work- sailboat murals, nautical map murals, compass roses on the floor, and on and on. Some nice projects, but a lot of the same type of theme. It's nice to get a chance to change it up now and again and do something unexpected. I recently visited relatives in Chicago and walking around my cousin's neighborhood, and was appreciating how every house was unique...I don't really see that here.

So I don't have a problem using imagery that is not Mainey, or New Englandy. I hope Mntrdredux can find a way to work the wave into her beautiful home.

I like it on these pillows
 photo 71dnisxL_SX450__zpsa508b9cc.jpg

photo 71dnisxL_SX450__zpsa508b9cc.jpg

photo Free-Shipping-2-pcs-lot-18-20-The-Great-Wave-of-Kanagawa-Tokyo-Linen-Decorative-Pillow_zps468f942f.jpg

and this diorama kit
 photo image_zps6d6d12af.jpg

how about a table top?
 photo images_zpscd54e92f.jpg

o

If not the print, how about the New Yorker cartoon:

Here is a link that might be useful: We're in Japanese waters, that's for sure.

o

This may have been mentioned before

o

You could order a large print, have it laser cut into a huge jigsaw puzzle which could be your winter family project to put together, then shellac it and frame as planned over the mantel.

o

Mntrdredux, I forgot that you mentioned needlepoint. My inlaws has a friend that does hooked rugs...I don't know if that is the right term- they are not shaggy but like beefy needlepoint type things. Anyway, the friend took a shapshot of one of my inlaws dogs in the snow in front of their bard and made a wallhanging for them which now hangs in the kitchen...it's really lovely in a folk art way that fits well into their traditional New England home. I can something like that working with the wave image. and looking appropriate for your space

o

LOL, had to google, and of course the hooked rug version has been done too!!!

photo canaan-rug2_zpsb0e0f6c3.jpg

http://www.maryjanesrugs.com/blog/1897880-rugs-from-canaan/

o

Linelle, actually the facts are actually all true, it's the conclusions that are sarcastic, lol. My kids did not like Sesame Street!

Sorry for the hijack, now return to regular programming.

o

I never would have thought this was a 135+ thread!

oh well!

I still love the print. I think it works, and is a bit of a riff on the expected NE seascape.

But I totally see the naysayer's views!

We are going to see it in person later this month before we decide anything. We may nix it altogether, or may do a riff on it, or may buy an oversized reproduction print, or may buy a genuine antique woodblock print (they are not cheap, but not terribly terribly rare).

Until then, I strongly urge anyone with a passing interest in the image to go to youtube and see the documentary. Quite interesting.

In the meantime, I am still slogging thru all of the links and suggestions! Thank you.

o

Mtn - I like the Waterlogue print in your post of 9:32; I don't see a problem with "tampering" with something that's not an original. Okay, the Mona Lisa with a goofy grin, that would be wrong.

Had another idea, if you decide on The Wave. You could print out this thread, and have it bound in a simple folder covered with the fabric for your pillows, so that it looked like an amusing book. Prop it on the mantel or place it casually on the buffet or in another informal setting. Then, when people comment on the picture, you could show them the "book" and invite them to read about how your decision was made. These are the kinds of touches that imo humanize a collection and become heirlooms in themselves.

This is a most fascinating thread, and it perfectly expresses my dilemma in not hanging a large print of my favorite painting - Renoir's Luncheon of Boating Party - on the living room wall across from my computer. I have never seen the original (in Washington D.C.) and how I would love to look at it every day! With this painting, I don't believe that familiarity would breed contempt. But still...

o

It is interesting Sable, that , somehow, Masterpieces have become, in a way, gauche.

Surely the fact that they are in the public domain and free plays into it; no shelter mag editor will promote them on behalf of an advertiser for sure!

But where else in life does one come across a circumstance where the best of the best is also the cheapest?

o

Masterpiece was my favorite board game growing up! Dad, Grandma and I played all the time.

o

And, Mtn, that only applies to the visual arts! Everyone on this thread can read The Brothers Karamazov, and, first editions aside, no copy of the book will be better than another, and an excellent experience is available to all; the same with music, the beauty of Beethoven's Ninth is not restricted to one performance by one conductor, we can all enjoy it. The same with ballet and opera. Only with the visual arts is there An Original and no copy comes near, and if you consider hanging a print, you get 140 posts...

o

Fabulous point Sable! And in a similar vein no one looks down on you if you read and reread the classics, even if everyone read it in 7th grade.

o

Of course, the issue here isn't print vs. original. The issue is one of the image itself... Of course it's fabulous and beautiful and that's why it's been reproduced over so many years in so many ways. I think the comparison is with the Mona Lisa or even the Statue of Liberty. Both beautiful images, both are extremely recognizable and have been loved by many for many years. No question about anyone owning the original, so it's a matter of reproduction and in what medium. Having a picture of the statue of liberty hanging in your house is one thing. Andy Warhol morphed the iconic image and having it hang in a room is another. So would be a statue of liberty snow globe.

And of course it isn't a question of whether she could hang it or not...she can hang anything she dang well pleases.

And it's not a question of anyone looking down on you as you're fabulous and have done fabulous things with a fabulous house. The question is really one of will it get you where you want to go with the room...if it will enhance or diminish your vision of the room, what you want it to say and what feelings you want it to evoke in the people who occupy it.

I know you like the unusual and unexpected, and all the "maine" pics in themselves become expected and iconic and I can understand you not wanting to go there. I also understand how an iconic image can become the unexpected...because it is so iconic, no one will use it in a formal setting, so you will.

So I guess I'm changing my mind. If you like it, if the family likes it, it's not expensive and can always be replaced when and if you find something you like better.

For me, I'd turn it into a craft project...take the poster, cut it up into squares and mount it on blocks of various heights to make it more textural so it keeps the image, the colors, the theme, but makes it more unique and less kitsch. But that's me.

BTW, I too am surprised at how many posts this thread has gotten! Art definitely strikes home, no?

o

Fascinating to see how many adaptations or riffs on that original Wave.

I wouldn't just hang the "original" poster but play around with it, like Anniee suggested.

How about framing a T-shirt with it? Or a paint-by-number makeover?

Or maybe combining several iconic art works, like the starry night wave as a starting point and adding something like this:

(although that may be too farfetched)
And speaking of Mermaids:

o

Wow.

This thead is ...

Wow.

If you like the print, buy it and hang it and move on. It's cheap and your family likes it.

When you get tired of it, or when you find something else, you can move it elsewhere. It would also look great in a bathroom, lol.

In my experience, you can't just go out looking for fabulous art. Fabulous art comes looking for you.

In my summer place (it's tiny), I needed some art for over the fireplace. Couldn't find anything that l loved, so I bought an inexpensive, innocuous print of some trees. It stayed there for five years, offending no one, not even me.

Last year I had an inspiration. I went to the Town Hall and got a large xerox copy of the original 1923 lakeside plot plan. I tea-stained it to look old, framed it, and hung it and I LOVE it.

And the print of the trees? I don't remember what I did with it. I think I put it out in the garbage.

o

Just skimmed this thread Mnt and had to point out I have never seen nor heard of the Wave. I must have lived under a rock...but I can assure you I have not. I do not shop Target (politics) and lived through the seventies and missed it even then.
If you truly love the piece as artwork and not just because it "goes" so well in your to die for house; then get it.
I would get the version that may appreciate some in value.
The smaller woodcut in the large matted frame is my favorite for your mantle.
Since your kids love it also it will be a great placeholder for something you may find in the future. And the woodcut would be the one to hang somewhere else and pass down to kids.
You've had all the right instincts so far for your home, this one is good also. Even if it didn't match the fabric so well...

o

The hooked rug version made me laugh out loud. This thread reminds me of the toilet tank decorating thread from '09.

Mtn, have you decided on anything yet?

o

I was among the "anti-" group but not because I have anything against the print itself, or ubiquitous, obvious or even down-market art. I don't know where I will put these in my current house because I don't have a stairwell with as much wallspace this time around
8-1 photo 8-1-1.jpg

o

Wow...
Knitted

Crocheted

Decal --- now, that's pretty cool

Mar McCauley, Fiber artist

And Jelly Beans

o

Allison,

We are going to see it in person later this month during a planned visit to the Met on a day off from school.

At that time I will decide to
1. nix it
2. buy the real deal; a genuine antique block print
3. buy a reproduction in the size i like
4. buy or create a riff on the image

Again, I have watched and highly recommend the BBC documentary on The Great Wave.

My "wake up" test (when you first wake up, what is your choice), three days running, says "yes". We will see!

PS My son was just assigned a documentary to look at , The World in 100 Objects? Guess what one of them is?

Here is a link that might be useful: Very interesting documentary on

o

Hi Mtn!
It's been forever and a day since I've been on here. In fact, I think last I was here you were still looking at the other property. I can't believe you're done!
I say go for it if you like it. You can always swap it out later. If you decide not to it, I have a tendency to not like paintings over fireplaces. I guess it's the rectangle over rectangle thing. I've used fireboards in two homes, both made by Maine artist Hope Angier, and then done other items above the mantle. You could also consider that as an option:

o

Wow.

This thead is ...

Wow.

If you like the print, buy it and hang it and move on. It's cheap and your family likes it.

When you get tired of it, or when you find something else, you can move it elsewhere. It would also look great in a bathroom, lol.

In my experience, you can't just go out looking for fabulous art. Fabulous art comes looking for you.

In my summer place (it's tiny), I needed some art for over the fireplace. Couldn't find anything that l loved, so I bought an inexpensive, innocuous print of some trees. It stayed there for five years, offending no one, not even me.

Last year I had an inspiration. I went to the Town Hall and got a large xerox copy of the original 1923 lakeside plot plan. I tea-stained it to look old, framed it, and hung it and I LOVE it.

And the print of the trees? I don't remember what I did with it. I think I put it out in the garbage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here