Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upholsterers in Concord, NH

Posted by chickadee2 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 20:27

My sister-in-law lives in NH, and while she and I were talking on the phone today, she told me that she has had a few chairs covered by an upholstery program set up at the prison in Concord. The inmates are trained to do the work, and she said they did a nice job. Plus she said it was a lot cheaper than going to a regular upholsterer. I thought that was pretty cool. She said there are some requirements to make sure you're not trying to smuggle anything in, such as removing some of the original fabric or cover underneath the item. I don't know specifically what you have to do. I just thought I'd pass this on in case you live anywhere close enough to Concord to save some money on an upholstery project. I wonder if other prisons do the same thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upholsterers in Concord, NH

I didn't realize they did this . We live 40 minutes from Concord, so I will certainly keep this in mind for the future. Thanks for posting!

o

I saw this program at the Old Barn and House expo in Manchester. When I lived on the West Coast I had found an upholsterer that was half the price of any others. I shared him with all my friends :) He taught that program at a prison too. I have a few things that will eventually need to be done and I am going to check out the program at the Concord Prison.

o

My SIL said you have to put your name on a waiting list, so keep that in mind if you need something by a certain date.

o

I had a chair done several years ago at the prison in Windham, ME. The waiting list there is typically a YEAR!

o

I'd forget where I stored the fabric by then. Was it much cheaper? Were you happy with the result?

I did a google search about those prison programs and they do a lot of other things too - machine embroidery, woodworking and refinishing, printing, laundry, dry cleaning, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here