Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

Help me finish this corner

musicteacher
9 years ago

I have ordered tile and am increasingly apprehensive about it. I got a non shiny subway tile, creamy white with a little brown marbling in it. I'm ok with that. But instead of bullnose (not available?) I got talked into finishing five edges with a real thick pencil (has another name) in travertine. It is supposed to coordinate with a framed travertine area over the stove - which I am also questioning. I think it the pencil is going to look weird under the cabinets and especially in this corner. Just these posts sticking up with tile in between. What about the unfinished top? I'm about to call them and cancel the order, maybe keep the subway but I still don't know how to finish the edges. I have thought about not even tiling this corner. It is so far back from the sink, but there is a little gap (maybe 1/4th inch between the counter and wall on one side. Seems too big just to caulk.

Comments (15)

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about just framing the windows first but as you can see, they are not square and there really isn't enough room for molding there.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Love your soapstone. Just love it!
    I have a corner sink too and have the corner painted. But I have window trim and the windows go into the corner farther.
    Not sure what to say about the tile without seeing it with the soapstone.
    I am not a fan of BS in general but like subway with soapstone. In your corner I would just put the soapstone there going up the wall. Then paint above, especially since you have the sills in soapstone. I would not do the subway there if you have to use travertine pencil trim. No travertine with SS. JMHO.
    Do you have a picture of the tile?

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Music In looking at your second picture I would take the cove molding away from the cabinet to wall junction and replace with scribed narrow painted 1X2 that reaches from top of cabinets down to the sill. That would become your window "trim". Then there is no need for travertine pencil in those areas. The subway tile would just install up to this trim detail.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I agree that travertine and soapstone do not belong together. Unless you have a range and vent hood worth calling attention to, you don't need a mural over the range. It's not where you'd want the focal point to be. I'm also not sure about the veiny tile with the veiny soapstone. Kind of like wearing a plaid shirt with plaid pants.

I don't think you need backsplash in the corner since you have that shelf right behind the sink that will catch spills. But there's that 1/4" gap meant for tile. It seems that shelf is made for a plant or herbs, so maybe that can hide the gap and it can be caulked. No kitchen is perfect. Can you put a plant or a decorative plate there and take a pic so I can see if it's just another foolish idea of mine? ;)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I wouldn't tile the corner. I would personalize the corner with an interesting bowl, some funky artwork, something that speaks to you about your house/location.....

• Gracie
    9 years ago

There's two of us with a foolish idea. I feel better. lol! Yes, something wide at the base to hide the caulk or gap, though I haven't had a backsplash in my kitchen for two years and have a few areas with 1/4" gap and haven't caulked. It's not noticeable imo.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Love your soapstone, but am also not seeing the tile you are describing or the trim with the counters. Since your sink appears to sit out from the wall in that corner more than a straight on installation, I also question whether you need tile. You would need to redo the trim around the window though. That and paint --

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. You are saying what I am feeling, but somehow talked myself out of.
    Missy moo: What does a " scribed" 1x2 mean? I would love to frame out those windows, even though it might overlap a little at the top.
    All who are suggesting subway tile, are we talking the really cheap white stuff from HD? Shiny? I have bought samples and taken them back twice, not sure if they were appropriate. At least they come with bullnose pieces! I have always liked subway tile, but after seeing all the beautiful handmade tiles people are using here (which are way out of my budget),,,,well the soapstone was a big splurge for me so I can't overspend on the tile too. Thank you all soooo much for your great advice!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Are you familiar with shiplap? I know you considered beadboard at one time, and shiplap is a cleaner, more current look. I'm not sure it'd work in your house. Usually one wall is shiplapped to the ceiling. Do you have a bare wall opposite your stove? It could solve your corner problem too.

[Beach Style Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2110) by Milford Interior Designers & Decorators Shelter Interiors llc

• User
    9 years ago

I wouldn't tile the corner at all.

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shiplap is pretty but probably would not work in my little kitchen - no bare walls. You have convinced me not to tile that corner, but the other areas, like behind the cooktop, tile with shiny subway?

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

Can we see a picture of the cooktop area?

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the cooktop area before the cooktop was installed. It is just a plain black glass one. To the right of the sink is more countertop too, pretty much a dry area: toaster, bread box etc. Obviously in a state of transition - and I'm STILL painting! I so appreciate all of your help.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Scribed means it is carefully cut to follow the edge of you drywall cased window. From the picture it looks like it is not quite plumb. Removing the cove trim piece and replace with a 1"X2" board (actually 3/4"X1-1/2") that is painted to match cabinets. Running it down to the sill would give you something to install your subway tile into.
    And yes I've used HD subway all over my new house. The white would be great with your SS.

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

Delete duplicate post.

This post was edited by andee on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 10:23