Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenfe

My Kitchen Needs Color

karenfe
13 years ago

I posted this over in the Kitchen's forum, but realized it was more appropriate for the Home Decorating forum. I got some good advice about needing a back splash to tie in the colors in the kitchen and that I need more color. I could use some ideas on what colors would look right in my kitchen.

I have lived in my house for just over 4 years and have painted my kitchen 3 times already. I'm still not satisfied. I've spent weeks pouring over paint chips and can not decide what it is my kitchen needs color wise. I need help.

We remodeled the kitchen and have KraftMaid cabinets in maple. Our appliances are white. The counter is Silestone's Kalahari. The wood floor is Bruce's Gunstock. Had I known what I know now, I would have gone with a white kitchen, but it is what it is and, luckily, I still like my kitchen as is. Painting the wood is not an option since the cabinets are so new and we paid money for them to be maple.

I'm looking for a color to paint the walls. I have the brown where most have tile and the yellow color (BM's Standish White HC - 32) on the walls. I love greens, creams, warm grays, and even oranges, but am open to other colors as well. I tend to like muted colors, but will also consider something a bit more vibrant. When I look at my counter top, I can sometimes see some hints of pink, so greens have been hard for me to nail down. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Karen

Comments (39)

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

did you take a look at some of the paint manufacture websites. I think some let you upload a picture and than "paint" with different colors to see how it looks.

My overall impression is that the beige/yellow color is "wimpy" looking.
    I think your cabinets are beautiful, and you can really see that they are nice wood. I would try to bring out the wood tones and also the counter color more.

If you wanted to go darker, I used BM davenport tan in my bathroom with yellow and pink tiles (from the 1930s) it looked very good with the white fixtures and went well with the pink undertones. I also think that you might like a gunmetal grey that had some bright blue undertones to it.

Or a winebottle green might be something to try.

Best of luck

• msrose
    13 years ago

My 1st thought was green if you can make it work with your countertop. Can you post of close up of the counters, so we can see the color better. Just curious, what were the 1st two colors you painted it and what didn't you like about them. I could also see a rust color like this:

Abbycat's BM Aura Masada
    {{!gwi}}

Laurie

• karenfe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've never been to a paint manufacturer's site to change colors in my room to see how it looks. I will try to figure out how to do that.

I agree! "Wimpy" is a great term to describe my kitchen. It needs some "oomph." I will look up Davenport Tan on my BM color fan deck. Could you give me a name for a gunmetal gray or a wine bottle green? Those sound like good choices, but unless the name specifically states that's what they are, I will get lost amongst all the colors.

That Masada color looks great too. The other colors I had were a green that looked more like Kermit the Frog. Then I had a yellow that was too yellow-y. Now I have this brown and yellow.

Here is a picture of my counter top I took once when I was looking at green colors. I think I'm trying for the wrong shade of green which is why these didn't work. I hope the counter color shows up well enough.

My stove is a white, but not stark white, if that helps show my counter color.

Thanks!
    Karen

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

take a look at BM marlboro blue for a nice blue with grey.

I also go by my painter/friend's recommendation, and stick to the BM historic colors. In his opinion, they are the ones you end up wanting anyway, and that narrows down the choosing considerably.

• teacats
    13 years ago

How about a rich dark chocolate brown??

After all -- your wall space is actually smaller than you might think -- and your kitchen is already bright and you have white appliances!! The dark color will then allow accents -- like your rich red pottery jug or your bright green plate (on top of the cabinets) to just "pop"

Check out:

Benjamin Moore: Tudor Brown E-62
    Benjamin Moore: Middlebury Brown HC-68

BUT -- for a tamer version of a lighter brown:

Benjamin Moore: Grant Beige HC-83
    Benjamin Moore: Raccoon Hollow 978

For greens:

Benjamin Moore: Acanthus Green 472
    Benjamin Moore: Great Barrington Green HC-122

• kayec28
    13 years ago

My first thought was green.

Take a look at Sherwin Williams' Svelte Sage.

When I see the closeup of your countertops, though, I don't see any green. Maybe a nice blueish gray color? Blue is usually frowned on in the kitchen--I forget the color theory behind it--but if you pick the right shade, especially a grayed color--you could probably make it work. Also, the BM Masada in the picture above is beautiful.

I have to say, when I google maple cabinets for images(a good way to see what other people have done) the main ones that stand out are the ones that used black as an accent color,with the olives/sages as runner-up. How do you feel about chalkboard paint? :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Take a look at BM Whythe blue. It's an incredibly beautiful color and would compliment your cabinets and counter top. I think you'll love it.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Did you say orange? Have you looked at BM Audubon Russet? Just for the backsplash area....

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I honestly don't think your kitchen looks bad like it is! It's very warm and inviting. But I agree that the right blue would look beautiful. Svelte Sage by SW is a great muted green that I think would also look great.

My hairdresser had Svelte Sage in her shop and I liked it so much I asked the color. It's a color that is hard to judge from the little chip, though.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I notice that you have some aquamarine napkins and things around...I disagree about the dark colors for your kitchen. I also notice that all the natural light appears to be coming from one side, which would influence me to choose something pale and watery to reflect as much light as possible, and to feature those lovely maple cabinets.

Green or red will emphasize their orange tones, which I think doesn't show them to best effect. Mixing colors between pale and dark won't help the kitchen seem as large and open as it is.

I would look for a lovely airy blue with some green in it, and keep to a pale but definite one, for a fresh, open, coastal look...and I'd paint the whole kitchen, including the ceiling, with it.
    I'm a big fan of Sherwin Williams "Window Pane" (SW 6210), but something even fresher and brighter...not darker...like "Glimmer" (SW 6476) might also work.

• karenfe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! Those color viewers are amazing and so much fun to play around with. I've spent the morning playing around with the Benjamin Moore colors suggested and also two SW colors.

I'm hesitant about the blues. Maybe it's because blue in the kitchen is so unusual. Below are two of the SW colors. I want to share the BM colors too but can't figure out how to share those and will get to it this weekend when I have the opportunity to try to figure it out. In the mean time, do these look good?

Thanks so much! You all are a great help.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I suggested the blue because I thought it would look great with your cabinets, but of course if you don't like the idea of a blue kitchen, then don't! I don't think any color is unusual in any room any more, however, so don't let that stop you if the idea appeals.

The simulation really doesn't look much like the actual colors on my monitor (both of them look a little gray), so I can't tell about the precise shade...if you want to consider the blues, bring home a lot of chips and see which ones seem more luminous, and which ones seem dull. If there is a luminous one you like, make a sample board to test it out. Painting a kitchen is such a pain that having to do it over if you don't like it is beyond annoying!

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I didn't know blue was unusual for a kitchen, my mom always had a blue kitchen. I love the green in your kitchen. Try a slightly deeper blue, I think the one you photoshopped is too much a baby blue.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

First, your kitchen is beautiful and the best thing about it are those gorgeous maple cabinets.

I think you have too much of the brown tones going on with your paint. You need to compliment the browns in the countertop and cabinets not add more to the room. I love the color msrose suggested. A russet/paprika that will brighten up the kitchen. Unless you have undercounter lights, that current brown is just too dark. And the yellow walls do nothing for your cabinets.

I looked up your countertop material online to get a better look at it and I see what you mean about seeing a pinkish tone. Based on that I would agree that green would not be a good selection. I'm not a fan of blue kitchens, although I can see how that might look striking but it appears it is not your taste so I don't think you would be any more satisfied with it than I would (bad memories of all those 80's country kitchens with geese!)

Sometimes the most striking kitchens have contrast (which is what I think you are looking for). My kitchen is black/white/gray Corian counters and kitchen table top with cherry cabinets, white appliances, gray tile and RED walls....blood red walls (not stop sign red). But, I also have a lot of lighting in my room (above & below cabinets, fan w/light, recessed and an entire wall of windows). Lighting is key to what kind of color your room can tolerate.

I'm not a BM paint user so I don't know the colors mentioned in other posts, but what I did was to buy small quantities (quart or even smaller if available) of colors I was attracted to and paint small areas over your cabinets, on backsplash, etc. That is the only way you'll see how you like how it interfaces with the fixed objects in your room.

Try the orange-russet-burnt orange color scheme. Your kitchen towel looks like it would fit right in!

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

How about a nice light cream? Something that would tie in with your appliances and would highlight instead of muddy up your lovely maple cabs, making them a feature to admire instead of something you're trying to just work with. You can add lots of color ~ or just a little~ with accessories then. If you wanted to go with a green/ cream/brown/ orange palate, you might think about (for example):
    * dark brown woven baskets and filling them with ivy for above your upper cabs
    * some nicely framed pictures, that have the colors you want to bring into the room (muted oranges, perhaps). Look for art work that is not too small or too busy so that those accent colors really stand out. I've even used small, bold (framed) prints in small easels on my counters to bring in more color
    * a large platter and/or pottery vase in your accent colors)
    * a rug
    * a nice sized ceramic pot in one of your bolder accent colors, planted with kitchen herbs
    * a clock (wall or counter) in an accent color
    * a big bowl or basket for your island counter to hold gourds, etc.

I spent a small fortune having our kitchen gutted and redone 3 years ago and I went (purposely) with soft creamy white walls (cherry cabs w black and integrated appliances). I did it because (1) they showcase my new lovely cherry cabs and (2) because I can quickly, easily and inexpensively change my accent colors to fit my mood, the seasons and the holidays . . . and I do!
    And I'll tell you another thing, I have never had even one person tell me that I needed to "add color" or paint my walls because my kitchen looks dull or boring . . . and I think that yours has that potential, too!
    Here's a link to my kitchen over on the Finished Kitchens blog, if you want to see for yourself how UN-boring a white kitchen can be ;^D

These are a few pics of my Summer accent pieces. But, my Autumn ones in muted greens, oranges and browns look great in here, too. So do my Christmas ones.
    "Lynn's UN-boring White Kitchen"
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    This pic was taken before I bought the large green urns for above the cabs on either side of the cooktop there:
    {{gwi:1404908}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1528289}}
    Lynn

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

Lynn your kitchen is beautiful. It reminds me that you don't have to have "color" on the walls to have a warm and colorful space. The creamy walls really make all of your beautiful things sing! There is another poster here, teacats I believe, who also has creamy white walls, and a beautful home. I am sure it is much harder to pull off than both of you make it look! Your kitchen has really made me rethink about beautful, simple, creamy white color on the walls of my living room and dining room.......
    May I ask what color you used? I am sure I will go insane trying to find the right color for me, but I am going to try!
    Again, I think your kitchen is just BEAUTIFUL and CLASSIC.

• msrose
    13 years ago

My vote is still for a rust color, but here's a few "greens" that I like.

BM Northhampton Putty

Brutuses BM Nantucket Gray

BM Dry Sage

BM Baby Turtle

Laurie

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

How about showing your pics to Ellen Kennon directly? She'll consult on color choice.

OR, one thing I did when I was just STUCK after years was took pics to a free color consultant at a BM store. I didn't end up going *exactly* with what she suggested (we had to modify them slightly due to specific light in the room--she agreed with my changes based on what I described), but she shook me free of a preconception that had been shackling me--it was literally like a new day when I walked out of there. I got color choices AND an education. Now we love the paint color choices every single day. Maybe you'll get that lucky too.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I have learned alot about color by watching HGTV's Color Confidential where the most bizarre combinations end up looking wonderful. Of course, Jane Lockhart is a master at decor (I am rarely disappointed with her design) and she isn't afraid of ceiling color (me too!) and bold colors combined from across the color wheel. She does make some choices on her own and that is where the education comes in. She takes what the owners like and chooses the right shades in that color family together with just the right accents that are of her choosing. She does do a lot of earth tone overload rooms and the results are usually amazing.

• karenfe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! You all are so very helpful. Thank you so much for all the ideas. I'm going to go through every single post more carefully and think hard about what it is I want and what I think I should do. Some of my friends wonder why I want to change the kitchen in the first place. I need to rethink that too, but I think I do want a new color. I think.... Hopefully I won't end up with "Paralysis by Analysis" because I can't make up my mind.

I don't know who Ellen Kennon is.....

Thank you for the advice, for sharing pictures, and for the colors suggested. I'll play more with the color viewers because they are such a great tool.

Karen

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

My vote would be for a rust color as well. I do love the brown you already have though. Have you tried painting the walls this color as well?

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

THe "ho hum" problem isn't the paint so much as it is the white appliances and lack of any black or dark color anywhere. THey're too white, and they're throwing everything else off. Also, there just isn't any dark color at all in the room to ground it. Everything is a medium tone which provides no contrast. Then there's the white, which is too much of a light contrast for the wood and countertops.

Black appliances or stainless ones would make a BIG world of difference along with a bolder color on the walls. Painting the island black would also work wonders as would adding in black iron hardware, but you'll still have the blinding white to deal with no matter what else you do.

• jab65
    13 years ago

I had those exact cabinets in my last kitchen and loved them. Since you already have the white appliances and white door and trim, why not paint the backsplash to match them and use accessories like Lynn suggested? Then pick one if those colors for your soffits and walls.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I vote for green. I love baby turtle or another one to try is bm geogian green which is one of my favorites as it has lots of life and still looks wonderful with lots of colors. whatever you do once you narrow it down to a few choices, be sure to paint samples on your wall and live with it for a few days. be sure to look at the colors in lots of light.
    also regarding the online viewers, I think they tend to show the colors lighter and less saturated than you would get in real life, so only use them for ideas.

• karenfe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe it's not the paint after all as "live wire oak" suggested. If that's the case, maybe I should paint as "jab65" suggested - opposite of how I currently have it.

Unfortunately, the appliances are fairly new so I won't be changing them out. I went with white since I'd be replacing one appliance at a time and white was already there.

So, working with what I have, would a creamy/white color in the backsplash area with colored walls look better in my kitchen?

I hope you all realize how helpful you are! Thank you so much.

Karen

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Homebodymom: thank you for such lovely compliments on my kitchen. You'd asked the wall color: it's Mount Rainier White. Pretty much, all of the major brands have been able to make it up for us. Our builder suggested it, as it goes so well with the (white/cream) background color of Talavera tiles which we have in all three of our bathrooms, and on the counter of our dining room's built-in hutch. We used to have Talavera tile for our kitchen backsplash, too, before our big reno. Anyhoo, it looks good in our home, morning, afternoon and evening. It also, thankfully, goes really well with the new backsplash tiles, which are the Crema Marfil.
    Lynn

• scanmike
    13 years ago

Hi,

My neighbor just painted her house Dune Drift by Valspar (Seaside Collection). It's a really pretty muted green/gray with a tiny hint of blue in it, but mostly green gray. It's very inviting and she has it in her kitchen also.

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

Thanks Lynn. I love your kitchen and will be getting a sample this weekend.
    Thanks Karenfe for letting me hijack your post :) IF its not too late to chime in, IMO since your cabinets are light, maybe a darker color might give you the "umph" you are looking for? I really like the contrast between your light cabinets and the brown paint you used below the cabinets. It looks like a nice warm color !

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I saw an eggplant color done the other day in a newer house and it was fabulous. I asked the realtor to ask the homeowner the exact shade and brand. This reminds me to follow up and I will post when I get specifics.
    With the white there, it would really pop. It was dark yet vibrant at the same time.
    I think some rope lights tucked under your uppers could be a hit too.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I'm with Lynn....creamy white sounds lovely for your already pretty kitchen!

• jimsonburg
    13 years ago

Color is an important consideration in kitchen design since it influences our moods. It is best if you select colors in the lighter and healthier shades of brown, peach, yellow, pink or blue. Color can also create the feeling of more or less space in a kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen colors

• msrose
    13 years ago

I'm just not seeing the creamy white. I think it's perfect for Lynn's kitchen (which I've always loved BTW) because of the texture of the bricks on her her walls surrounded by her dark cabinets and stove.

Here's Ellen Kennon's website(mentioned above) if you're interested. I've never used her paints, but alot of people on here have and love her. I think you can actually send her a picture and she will help you pick a paint color.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen Kennon

• karenfe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. There's a lot to mull over and I definitely am mulling. Hopefully I can make a decision soon. It seems there's not just one way to do a kitchen, so I need to find which of all these great suggestions is "me."

homebodymom, no problem. : )

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

Hello Karenfe,

I have maple cabinets as well, I think mine are a little darker than yours. I have SW Bamboo Shoot on my walls. I LOVE this color. It is more intense than the shades that you are looking at. But just for comparison, here is my kitchen. I love color, the more intense, the better!

Elaine

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Mom2seth's roman shade has colors very similar to your kitchen towel. I echo BM Audubon Russet. I have it in my basement along with Pratt&Lambert Peppercorn which is a brown painted on the wall under the cabs like you have done. I also think a green would look great, but then I'd change the brown to something else if the rest were green. Baby Turtle was first on my list for a suggestion. It leans toward the brown side. Other suggestions are BM Saybrook Sage, Guilford Green, Nantucket Gray, Paris Green, Georgian Green, Wethersfield Moss.

• karenfe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mom2sethc, wow, I love your kitchen! My cabinets do look a lot like yours color wise, but a little lighter. You're right.

Here are two SW mock-ups I just did. Sorry, I forgot to mask back the ceiling light.

Bamboo Shoot. But the color looks way different on this mock painting job than the color looks in your kitchen.

Here is SW's Red Cent, which is an 89% match to BM's Audubon Russet, which was also a suggestion.

I'm also considering a green like BM's Medieval Times or Valspar's Organic Garden. I can't find a SW color to match to do a mock painting though.

Finally, I think my backsplash area needs some tile to pull my kitchen together. I left the brown there in these pictures since I'm thinking tile and not a color.

Thanks for all the help. I can tell everyone here knows how important getting the right color really is.

Karen

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

Karenfe,

your mock up is not true for this color. Here are a couple more pics of it. It is more saturated than your pics show. As you can see, I have it in several rooms in my home.

Elaine

• karenfe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Elaine, your house is beautiful. I've always loved greens and oranges. I need to get the paint chips next to get a better idea of what this color really looks like.

Karen

• annie4714
    13 years ago

Looking at the monitor, I would take some samples of cranberry, home......I think the top is a brown, you could go with the right shade of a green/gold too, My kitchen is cherry cabinets, black/gray/ivory top, i used the sherwin and william paint, on bead board paneling in there, Bees Wax, it is beautiful, but you have lighter cabinets......