Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinaplus6

Paint colour for stairwell seen from the kitchen?

Christinaplus6
9 years ago

So, my stairs going to my basement are pretty much right in my kitchen. I can also see a hallway from my kitchen and parts of my living room through this weird cutout that has balusters (is that what they're called?). My living room is an aqua colour. My kitchen is BM natural cream. My stairwell is as yet unpainted with swatches (not meant for the stairwell...I've just been using it as a place to see what a colour looks like, lol). My hallway is the aqua of the living room but I can't really see the hallway from the living room and I can't see much of the kitchen from the living room either. With my house not being overly large....I'm not liking blocks of colour all around. So, my question is....do I paint the stairwell aqua, and just leave the kitchen the cream colour? Or do I paint the stairwell and hallway the cream colour?

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

Cream color.

• Christinaplus6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of my stairwell. The stairs aren't finished (removed the carpet and there was lino glued to every step! It's taking forever to sand them down). You can see the weird cutout thing and the aqua colour of the livingroom. And you can see the cream colour of the kitchen (it's also the swatch to the right on the stairwell).

I really really want some sort of natural flow and I've not been able to decide what to do in this case).

Oh, and that picture is going. There will be an oversized clock and pictures and stuff. I just had that because it matched our kitchen before we started updating it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Do you like the natural cream? I'm thinking about it for my dining room, which has an unpainted pine ceiling (orange gold).

I'd paint the stairwell in Natural Cream, since that wall is basically a wall in the kitchen.

I'd also paint the balusters white to tie them in with the other woodwork and those other balusters.

• Aims
    9 years ago

What color is that blue? It's very pretty.

• Christinaplus6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aimless07: it's behr contemplation. I love it. I'll show you a better picture of it (it faces west).

Tibbrix: yes, I really do love it. I just painted it last night but it seems perfect to me. Should I paint the hallway cream as well? Or leave it aqua? And I have every intention to paint those balusters! It's just sooooooo tedious! I've been putting it off.

• peony4
    9 years ago

My vote is the natural cream.

Nice board and batten, btw!

• Aims
    9 years ago

I love it! A nice mix of gray and blue. I wonder if SW has a color that compares.

• Christinaplus6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aimless: you could look at SW rain. It was one I was "contemplating" before I chose this one ;) but I really couldn't find what I wanted anywhere else. I was really stuck on finding one from benjamin moore but they just didn't have the exact right colour. As a side note, rain from SW is a pottery barn colour!

Peony4: thanks! It was so cheap and easy! just tedious (when I had to caulk it).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Christina, any chance I could get you to put a pic up of the kitchen with the Natural Cream, a pic which shows the color better?

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 19:12