Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Flatwear question, need help

Lyban zone 4
15 years ago

I did not know where to post this but I guess it is considered home decor since it goes on the table.

I am looking for a good reliable stainless steel everyday cutlery set.

I have been having problems with my knives pitting in the dishwasher and need a new set.

I do not want it to be the most expensive but then again I do not want a cheap set which will not keep its lustre.

Can anyone give me a recommendation and also tell me what you consider a decent price for a service for 12. Thanks.

Comments (32)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Oneida makes a nice flatware set. Are you near a Dillards? We have some on sale through Sept 15th.

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/EndecaStartServlet?N=1590907+2010264

• upa_lazy_river
    15 years ago

I like Reed and Barton flatware. It has a nice weight to it, longer knives and forks and has great serving pieces. You can get fantastic deals on it from www.qvc.com. Just search for Reed and Barton. Good luck.

• mcps
    15 years ago

I've seen good prices on a service for 12 at Tuesday Morning or Ebay ($120 for the set in the link). I have Reed & Barton 18/10 stainless and think it is of great quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay flatware

• User
    15 years ago

I wish you a lot of luck on that one Lyban! I decided last Christmas it was time to invest in some new flatware and every set I bought would pit and rust regardless of price. I was told that it was due to citrus in the soaps (which I don't use) and/or hard water which I have. I had Pfaltzgraph for years without a problem but it seems that even they have gone "cheap" to cut costs. The only brand I did not see any complaints for in my research was Oneida, but I found their products to be to light and flimsy for my preference. I ended up spending about 100.00 for a service of 12 at Costco, I believe the brand was Hampton. I'm curious to see what kind of response you get to your question!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I have had a set of Yamazaki stainless since 1991 and it still looks fantastic after daily use and dishwasher-ing. It is the kind of stuff you buy by the place-setting but an investment, IMO. Macy's does have sets for sale, but in a limited number of designs. I registered for mine when I got married. Luckily, I still love the pattern.

• rabbit_house
    15 years ago

I bought my stainless flatware at Crate & Barrel when I worked there years and years ago. It still looks great after hand washing and being run through countless dishwashers. The prices have gone up since 1986, but I don't expect to ever have to replace them. I believe the pattern I have is Arctic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arctic Stainless Flatware

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

rabbit house - that's what I have, too!!! But holy smokes the price just about floored me - it wasn't that expensive when we registered for it, that's for sure. BTW lyban - mine are over 26 years old and look great. Have you tried cleaning yours with a Magic Eraser?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I've had a pattern from the Oneida Community line for nearly 25 years. It gets used everyday and goes in the dishwasher. It still looks very good. I have added pieces to it over the years because while I wouldn't mind having something new, this isn't worn out at all or dated.
    Lukkiirish, not all Oneida is the same. They make different lines at different price points and quality. The Oneida at Walmart is not the same as the upper lines from a department store.
    The price per place setting of what I have has changed over the years but department stores often have the best deals.
    I think it's around $30 per place setting or so.

However, I do like the silver superstore a lot and have ordered from them before. The website is highly educational too about what makes up the different quality lines of stainless.

• rabbit_house
    15 years ago

dlm -

I know! I think the Arctic was 'cheap' when I bought it! I never did get the serving pieces though.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow. such interesting responses from everyone.
    dlm200, I never thought of magic eraser on my knives but I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
    You have all given me some ideas as to what to look for. I am always amazed that they are all called 18/10 stainless, yet all so different in quality.

• southern_vesta
    15 years ago

I have been really pleased with the Reed & Barton flatware we bought about 10 years ago in Williamsburg.

We use it every day & no pitting from the dishwasher.
    The sales person did tell us not to use any citrus in
    the soaps as well, (which we have not).

Our "good" stainless is by Yamazaki & I love that too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Williamsburg Scroll Stainless by Reed & Barton

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

The silver superstore has a category of complete sets under $100. Some of them are very nice. 5 years or so ago I bought a beautiful, heavy, Towle beaded continental service for 8 with serving pieces for 50.00 with free shipping. That set is not on sale now but flatware sets go on sale as it gets closer to the holidays.

• housewitch
    15 years ago

Our almost 12-year-old Gorham stainless is used daily and constantly washed in the dishwasher. It's holding up beautifully.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

If I were buying new, I would look at Horchow. They have sales on a pretty regular basis and seem to carry some of the better brands of stainless. Their patterns are mostly traditional, some quite lovely.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

"I've had a pattern from the Oneida Community line for nearly 25 years. It gets used everyday and goes in the dishwasher. It still looks very good. I have added pieces to it over the years because while I wouldn't mind having something new, this isn't worn out at all or dated.
    Lukkiirish, not all Oneida is the same. They make different lines at different price points and quality. The Oneida at Walmart is not the same as the upper lines from a department store."

Ditto all that.
    I have been VERY pleased with my Oneida!
    Cheap Oneida is exactly that.... cheap Oneida.

You have to pay attention to the numbers (ie 18/8 stainless steel).... some 'stainless' really isn't!

The numbers 18/0, 18/8 and 8/10 refer to the percentage of content of chromium and nickel. To be classified as stainless steel, the metal must contain at least 11 % chromium (no nickel required). Stainless steel used in cookware is normally 18% chromium and 8% to 10% nickel.
    Low end stainless steel cookware, mixing bowls, stockpots and accessories are usually 18/0 which are usually not highly polished, and could be subject to some rust spotting.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

My everyday flatware set, was a wedding gift 46 yrs. ago, it is "Distinction Deluxe" 18/10 by USA Onieda still looks beautiful today, and goes in dishwasher all the time, every now and then I polish with Bartenders, mostly for water spot's, water in FL. spot's everything. Not sure how good their products are today? but my set is heavy and pretty! (mine came with serving pcs. even ice tea spoons, big set)

• littledog
    15 years ago

Vesta, the Oneida community service pattern I have is similar in apperance to yours. Mine is Patrick Henry, and the knife is a straight handle rather than the pistol grip style. I got mine via mail order, saving Betty Crocker points for merchandise back in the day when you really could "buy" the whole set with just points. The pattern is simple and classic, and it looks like it did when it was brand new. I've had mine over 20 years and still love it.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Everybody that has S/S from way back , I can understand that it is lasting. I have a few pieces left from my set from 42 years ago as my wedding gift. Unfortunaely at the time I only got a service for 6 and since alot of pieces have gone astray. It was my everyday set and I think I put the odd piece in lunchboxes and never got them back. Anyways the few pieces I have left ar in beautiful shape compared to any newer sets I buy. They just do not make things like they used to.

• littledog
    15 years ago

lyban, have you tried looking for matching pieces of your old set on ebay?

When Onedia discontinued my pattern, that's where we found the ice cream spoons. :^)

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I'm very pleased with my Reed and Barton, too. I got it from QVC which is very unlike me, but I REALLY wanted a set that included iced tea spoons. Someone suggested I try QVC and it turned out great. Had it about 4 years now and still looks like new. It does have a good weight to it also.

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

We've had Michelangelo (Oneida Heirloom) for years but it's too formal for how we live so we rarely use it.

Does anyone have Crate & Barrel's Tuscany? It looks nice and has a good feel too. I also wonder about Southern Living At Home flatware...anyone have it?

Susan

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

As my husband is a chef, I buy restaurant quality stainless (I've got Ricci right now) because (a) I can and (b) I like the larger sizes, and change it when I get bored. I have Christofle plate which actually holds up very well in the dishwasher.

There's a Ricci set on Amazon for $150 for service for 8, which I don't think is insane.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is 18/10, 18/8 and 18/0 Stainless Steel Cutlery All the Same?

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I've been really happy with our (stainless steel) flatware set from Wallace Silversmiths. It's the Taos pattern and we've had it now for 16 years with no rust problems or pitting. I do avoid the citrus dishwasher detergents, though, for just that reason. We have very hard water out here and, although it causes horrid fogging on my glassware, it's fine on my flatware as long as I use our water softener and Jet Dry.
    Do you, by any chance, let your flatware dry in the dishwasher without using the Dry cycle? I'm thinking that the humidity in there for long periods perhaps could cause some rust.
    Lynn

• embees
    15 years ago

Another happy Oneida-from-a-department-store owner :)

I've definitely noticed a difference between mine and the cheaper stuff. Even in the "good" lines, you can feel different weights for different designs - this might not be a time to do online shopping, other than to get rough ideas, if you're concerned about how they feel "in hand". (My husband insisted on helping pick out our flatware so it wouldn't feel too dainty for a man to use - he's a smart one!)

My mom has had her Oneida for 30 years or so, and it still looks fabulous. Mine's only 5 years old, but so far so good - LOL

• greenmtn
    15 years ago

Another Oneida happy owner. Our's was on our bridal registry in 1990 and still looks brand new today after being used everyday and put in the dishwasher. My pattern is one that they guarantee will never be discontinued. I did not know that at the time but saw it recently in an ad. I went with a pattern that has just a little detail and have found it can go from casual to formal and I have yet to tire of it.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

10 year old Gorham - much use & many dishwashings. I went with a simple (classic, I think) pattern & still love it.

It was probably $30 place setting when I got it - don't know what it is now. It also has the iced tea spoons and I got alot of the serving pieces in multiples. How many times do you need 2 slotted serving spoons & 2 meat forks when entertaining!!

Smiles:)

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

I have Waterford flatware similar to the Mont Clair pattern on their website. We got it from the outlet near our house. I want to say it was under $200 for a box of 65 pieces and we got two boxes.

We had the same problem you're having with the finish of our old cheap flatware looking hazy and ugly. No problems with the new stuff but we were told NEVER to mix metals in the dishwasher. No aluminum with stainless--ever. The times I've screwed up that directive and have gotten a few small stains on my new stuff, I've used the teeniest bit of Bar Keeper's friend on my finger tip and buffed it away. Too much and the finish will scratch.

Also, we were told no citrus detergent as well as to not close the little door for the detergent when starting a load. So essentially the dishes are washed in the first rinse then rinsed several times thereafter. I'm sure having soft water helps, too. I don't use any rinse agents as I don't like the coating they leave on the dishes and I never use the heat dry feature.

HTH

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just checked back here and can't believe all the answers since my last post. There seems to be a variety of companies that make good stainless. I guess the problem is that within the same company there are cheap models to expensive. Even though they say 18/10 I guess you have to go with something a little pricer than the best looking deal. I never knew about no citrus in dishwasher detergent. I wonder why they make such things.

Thanks again.

• upa_lazy_river
    15 years ago

I should have said on my post that the Reed and Barton sold on QVC is 18/10 stainless, continental style. It is awesome flatware for the price and holds up to daily use and dishwasher abuse. I recommend it highly.

• denali2007
    15 years ago

I too, have Oneida's Community Stainless Steel in the Patrick Henry Pattern. I got it when I got married 37 years ago. Still looks brand new. It's gone through 3 kids and now 5 grandchildren. Best yet I can still buy new pieces for it. This isn't their top of the line but the Heirloom that a PP talked about is the top. Dept stores do have sales on them from time to time.

• User
    15 years ago

Whatever you buy don't buy Wallace. I didn't bother to research up on flatware. Just bought a huge set that had an appealing pattern. Pattern is Duchess. Suppose to be 18/10. It was brand new in the box but 5 months later my most of my knives are pitting and I'm really not happy about it. Actually just emailed the company the other day.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did take my magic eraser to the pits on my knives and they are now sparkling. I also checked the cascade powder that I use in my DW and sure enough it says it has a lemom burst scent so I guess that is also a problem. I will buy non lemony cascade from now on and see if that makes a difference.