Joan Rivers' NYC apartment

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

Nice place. Very Versailles.

Here is a link that might be useful: JR apartment

Comments (30)

• flowerpwr45
    9 years ago

It really is lovely. Livable, in a weird opulent way, too. The abundance of hanging textiles make me a bit sneezy, but if my guests don't mind seeing the dust in the sunshine, I won't.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

It really is lovely. Livable, in a weird opulent way
    Exactly what I thought! It would be fun to live there for a little while, pretend I am a princess until I couldn't take it any longer...the tv is such a jarring note....

In some crazy way, it it soothing.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Kind of over the top but I love it. The bedrooms are beautiful. I also think the room with the tv was lovely, certainly more understated than the rest.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it's that the froufrou is well done, even though there's a lot of it, but also that the colors are very soothing.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Did I miss a kitchen - For this size of space I would have expected more than just the 2 itty-bitty ones. I'm not sure that they're even big enough to be used as catering kitchens.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I read that she had a live-in maid and butler so I wonder if the smaller kitchen was part of their quarters.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

When I was a child we visited Hert'z castle in Calif. This reminded me of that. I can't say I find any of it alluring. I know she loved to enjoy her money and it appears she did. That was her prerogative.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, if the downstairs was for the maid and butler, then, despite all the sq ft, it's only a 1 bedroom place...did Melissa & Cooper ever stay with her? Or perhaps they have their own digs.

I thought I saw something about her leaving an estate worth $115 mil....

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, not for a moment. It makes me feel claustrophobic, which is kind of strange given its size.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I do love her color choices. Odd, it's not what I would have imagined for such a colorful personality. I guess she makes up for it in fanciness. So sad that she never got to come home to it again.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dedtired, at some point in all of our lives, we have to leave home forever...

• ingeorgia
    9 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh, I like to think that at some point in our lives we get to go home forever....but I also think I could live there happily until then !

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Hello Marie Antoinette.

Wouldn't go with my weekend wardrobe of yoga pants and tee shirts. ;)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Could someone explain the purpose of the little folding screens at the bottom of the french doors?
    {{!gwi}}

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

?keep the dogs from opening the doors maybe?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Does everything on earth have a purpose?
    She did have an estate.
    My understanding is that she stayed here when she was doing shoots in NY or West Chester.
    According to the floor plan diagram, there is a kitchen.
    However, I could be proven wrong by someone who claims to have known her intimately.

• suero
    9 years ago

Joan River's kitchen was for someone else to prepare food. As she said, if God had wanted her to cook she would have had aluminum hands.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Not my personal cup of tea, but beautifully executed. You know something is done well when even if you don't like it, you like it!

• melsouth
    9 years ago

cyn427,

You said what I was thinking.
    I'd have to get a whole new wardrobe just to walk around in there.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Re: Folding screens

Maybe in-wall airconditioning units/or radiators or something like that?

Or if those are doors to a balcony, maybe no sheers, and these are little privacy screens.....

This post was edited by vedazu on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 0:12

• chijim
    9 years ago

I think the small screens were used for door drafts.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

" You know something is done well when even if you don't like it, you like it!"

agreed!

I wouldn't be comfortable in it.

I'm sure she has a big kitchen for caterers. Not part of her living area...

if that's a first floor room (do I see trees thru the glass?) it's probably to keep the dogs from seeing people outside and barking.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think privacy was an issue as this is a penthouse apartment. Drafts most likely...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From google maps, it looks like she had a double terrace outside, one off her top floor and one off the main floor. Not so great a view as overlooking central park, but not bad....

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Reminds me of some of the palaces we recently saw in Russia. And to think I could have saved some money and gone to see Joan in NYC, instead. ;)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

eek! no.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I suppose the little screens would be much more in keeping with the decor of the apartment than a calico draft dodger!

Here is a link that might be useful: Calico Draft Dodger

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

It's funny the responses here, for this particular style, it is indeed well done. Do I want to live in it....hmmm maybe for a week or two. It might be good for me, although my usual jeans/shorts and tee shirt lounge wear would feel apropos, I would need more formal wear ( Marie A. is not far off) but it would be fun, like going on vacation to an exotic place of the world.

This is not what I pictured for J. btw. I see something equally as urban locationally, but a bit more sophisticatedly traditionally styled. (at least based on her clothes and Jewelry, which my mother adored. And I now have- in storage).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think I recall seeing a lovely CT home she had that was far less froufrou, I will have to look for it.

I'd have taken Joan for modern and sleek, hmm.

As for the kitchens, I have a sort of hobby of looking at NYC listings, and though I have not looked quite in this price point, it never fails to amaze me what bizarre layouts people will accept in NYC real estate. I don't doubt that she had two small kitchens as shown, probably the result of combining two apartments at some point in the past.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 21:39

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Here it is, below. I remember distinctly that I loved the kitchen , and still do (another person who puts an oil painting in the kitchen, yay!)

Here is a link that might be useful: A different side, tho the BR look similar