Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

How about this light?

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

Annie, Anele, et al, what about this light? I love the one you posted Annie but I am worried about the quality because of the low price. I found this and love it. It is out of stock almost everywhere and it is available in two finishes. Chrome with white, I love it but the rest of the metals in the room are brass (not sure that it matters). It is also available in antique brass with an amber shade. I love that one too and would like the antique brass better in my room but I don't know if the amber shade would work. I will post a pic of that one also.

http://www.decordesignsunlimited.com/product.asp?itemid=260146&gclid=CPbC8YeawcACFU4F7AodNEkAAg

http://www.decordesignsunlimited.com/product.asp?itemid=260146&gclid=CPbC8YeawcACFU4F7AodNEkAAg

Comments (76)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, I found the light dimensions. If I hang it flush it is 21 inches. Do you think that would work? I really love it and think it would look good in my room. My ceilings are only eight feet.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I really like the lightness of the crystal orb, Holly. It gives just a touch of sparkle and is not as serious as the other furnishings. You've got the two large chests on the end wall, correct? So I think a little break from the heavy traditional is good. It also won't overshadow your Waterford lamps like the others will.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like the one Tibbrix posted. Simpler than some of the others, but pretty and will go with a variety of styles if you redecorate at some point. And I def think that chandeliers everywhere is a trend not long for this life...

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks May and KSWL.

I like the crystal orb too May and I agree that it is a less serious look. It is really pretty.

KSWL, I think you are right about chandeliers becoming dated sooner rather than later and the glass and brass is so lovely. I can envision it in my room.

Do you think twenty one inches would be okay on eight foot ceilings?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I would measure from the ceiling to the lowest part of the existing light on your fan. Once you determine that distance you can decide. If the light will be at the foot of the bed where no one will hit it with their headi should think it could be a tad longer than the fan/light combination. I would keep the chain very short, maybe only one or two links, as you wouldn't want it hanging down farther than needs must.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd go with something like this one from overstock

Here is a link that might be useful: ceiling chandy

• salonv
    9 years ago

I like the one posted at 10:22, and also really like the one just posted above this by annie from overstock.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie that the rounded, compact crystal shapes are better for your 8" ceiling and small bedroom. But Waterford does have that style in brass for only $400.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterford

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Holly Kay's bedroom is understated and elegant. I'm not sure that this light (the overstock one) strikes the right note.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Okay, $450. The Kilkenny is better with your table lamps. But when you're looking at close to $300 on Overstock for glass, $450 sounds like a bargain

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterford

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 8:35

• Gracie
    9 years ago

"I'm not sure that this light (the overstock one) strikes the right note."

I think it strikes the same note as the one Tibbrix posted, and at 21", it will hang just over 6' and look massive. IMO, when you have so many things calling for attention in a small room, you don't need to then overdecorate the ceiling. Too much jewelry.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The overstock lamp is polished chrome with a very busy cut glass bowl shade, while the one Tibb posted is a bell type light in brass and plain glass. They are nothing alike, unless I am missing something or comparing the wrong lights (very possible, lol).

• Gracie
    9 years ago

There are similar styles in brass on Overstock, but to me they are equally ornate, one because of the cut glass and the other because of all the metalwork. That is almost 2' of light!

I am puzzled by your comment that Holly's bedroom is understated. The bed is a knock-out, and it takes up most of the room. I would keep the focus on the bed. With these chandies so adorned with crystals and scrollwork and carvings, in that small room, it says to me that that person ran out of places to decorate, so they turned to the only surface left--the ceiling. So I think now is the time to pull back and be understated.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think the ceiling height isn't the only issue here. I think that the posts of the bed are as well. Between the posts and a light, you have to be careful that it doesn't end up looking like you squeezed everything in there, which with a larger, and lower, chandy/light it would, IMO.

I like the bell light I put up because it has the elegance of your room, but a glass shade at the lower part with the "bling" (the curly-ques) nearer the ceiling, so they won't compete with the posts.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Perhaps we have different ideas about what constitutes understated, May?Holly's bed is absolutely beautiful, and its beauty is a function of the quality of the wood and carving and construction--- not from overly ornate design, color or materials. Some of these proposed lights, especially the ones featuring cut glass, hanging crystals, antiqued finishes and so on, rely on a more obvious ornamentation for their appeal and cannot be called "understated" by the wildest stretch of the imagination.

I don't know if the brass bell lamp is too big for the space, which is why I suggested the current light and fan set up be measured as a basis for comparison. But the metal is right for the room, the plain glass is better suited to an overhead light in this setting----IMO you don't want a knockoff looking crystal anything to take away from the Waterford lamps, and the flush mount Waterford fixture is the very "boob" light HK said she wanted to avoid. The scroll supports on it will be so close to the ceiling they will look like points of attachment from underneath.

All opinions aside, Holly Kay has done a wonderful job on her own bedroom and will undoubtedly find the light that suits her, and the room, to perfection âºï¸Â

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm sitting in a beach house now which belongs to a client of mine who is letting me use it while my house is rented, and she has two of the flush-mount glass bell lights in her foyer, which is what made me think of one for Holly Kay's BR. They're a perfect size for the room and for above and between the two end bed posts..hence my posting it.

the problem with the one I posted is that it is a hanging lamp, so it'd have to be found out if it can be fitted with a flush-mount attachment.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input and taking the time to read my post and to find alternatives and posting them for me. I truly appreciate it.

My favorite of everything posted is Tibs light. I measured the ceiling hugger fan and it is 16" from the ceiling at it's lowest point. Tib's beautiful light is 21" mounted flush so I think it may be to low. There would be 75" from the floor to the bottom of the light so a 6' person would have just 3" of clearance. DH is just a tad under 6" so he would clear the light easily however it may be too much of a presence in the room.

I found the Cambridge light in a flush mount version and it is lovely too and would likely work better as the height is 13" x 14 1/2" in diameter. I think the elongated form keeps it from looking too boobish?

I love them both but definitely prefer Tib's version. WTBS, I think the regular flush mount would look better as it would be smaller and less of a presence in the room. Opinions?

BTW, the reviews (only five reviewers) averaged five out of five. One person gave 4 stars but had only good things to say about it. This helps me so much as they are people that have first hand experience with the product.

{{!gwi}}

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the flush mount version.

Tib the info from the website I found it on said it can be flush mounted and when flush mounted it's 21". I absolutely love it! Thank you so very much because I will be ordering either your version or the flush mount that I just posted.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I really like the one tibbrix posted and I think it will still look great in 10 to 15 years. All the other ones will have you scratching your hell wondering WTH was I thinking down the road.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think you lost your photo in Edit. Is this the Cambridge light? I like this better. I hope no one calls it a saggy boob light lol.

Edit now that the pic has been found.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 11:27

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL May. I was thinking that, but honestly I love the light even the flush mount. I still like Tib's version better but I think this one will be a great compromise and one that doesn't feel like I'm giving anything up. Thank you for posting it!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yay! I really like them both. But are you sure the 21" length isn't too low? Why don't you cut some cardboard in the length each would hang and tape it up there for a couple of days?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

This is pretty. I like the acorn shape. Isn't the acorn a traditional American motif? 12" high by 8" wide. It's chrome but so little of the metal shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: light

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Pic.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, I really want the version that you posted but yes I think 21" will be too low. It wouldn't get in the way as it would hang directly over the end of the bed which is dead space anyway but I don't want the light to be directly in my field of vision while reclining so I will go with the flush mount version.

May, thank you for posting the crystal acorn light, very pretty! I agree that there isn't much metal showing on it, also I think most of the time crystal looks better with silvery finishes.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm confused, HK. The hanging bell light is 21", so too low.

What is the drop of the flush-mount?

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

HK - your link from 6:54 PM on Thursday appears to be broken, so I'll use the 8:37 PM picture.

Is it replacing the fan or in addition to it? Please help me understand where to put it :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

oldbat, she's replacing the fan. Can you do a mockup with both the free-hanging bell light and the flush mount, the two she likes?

and I'm wondering, when considering the drop, should the finial be counted? It's so narrow that I'm not sure it has to be considered in the drop. That might allow her to get the light she prefers.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Here's the flush mount - I don't have a feel for scale or size.

(Sorry about the ceiling)

Edited to adjust location of light to the left.

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 12:32

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I'm not sure which the bell light is!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

And one more:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love both of the bell lights. I think the orb is too much, to trendy, and might look passé in a short amount of time.

I think that, when choosing expensive stuff or things that should be around for ten years or more, one should go more conservative than not so that that thing will hold its lines longer.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OB, thank you so much! I am totally in awe of your photoshopping skills. You have the mock-up positioned just where it would hang and I love both versions of Tib's bell light.

Tib I found the Cambridge bell light that you posted on houseofantiquehardware website. It says if you flush mount that light it is 21". The flush mount version from HOAH gives 13" as the drop so it's 8" shorter than the version that I really want.

So what do you all think? I haven't ordered yet but want to get it ordered today. If you think 21" works I would like to get Tib's version otherwise I will go with the flush mount.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

HK, get a cardboard box out, one that is, widthwise, about the same width as the lamp you like and cut it so that it is the length from the ceiling to the bottom of the BELL, not the finial, and tape it to the ceiling.

then cut a strip of cardboard to resemble the finial.

That will give you and idea as to how that light will look, whether it's too much of a drop, whether the finial affects it or not, etc.

Hmmmâ¦fan is in the way. Since your'e definitely going to order one of them, can you take the fan down now to get that box up?

Another idea: get a large Ziplock bag and fill it to mock the light, first poking something resembling the finial through it at the bottom, and hang that up for a few days. That will actually look more like the light, even.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

HK, I just looked at the light on houseofantiqueshardware.

The 21" includes the chain. I'd call them and ask if there is a way THAT lamp can be rigged to be hung flush with the ceiling, no chain.

Of course, maybe it would look ridiculous with the curly-ques so close to the ceiling? I can't picture it.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good idea Tib. I am out of large ziplocks but I can fill a plastic grocery bag to at least get an idea of the bulk.

I can't take the fan down by myself. DH left today for a week long trip so he won't be home until next weekend.

I found the Hinkley Cambridge on the lightingnewyork site also and a reviewer said the flush mount was larger than expected so the 21" light will probably be overwhelming.

I do need new lighting in my foyer so I could always use the light there if it doesn't work in the bedroom but I am really not ready to take on the foyer project until after the bedroom is completed.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You know, if you look at old bat's mockup, it does look like the light you like is attached to the ceiling as I'm suggesting you ask if it can be, i.e.: no chain.

I think that is your best bet. that would knock off those extra inches, and from the mockup, it looks great w/o the chain, i.e.: truly flush mounted to the ceiling.

I think it's worth asking. That light appears to be narrower than the flush mount one, so again, if you can get that one truly flush-mounted, that is your light.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, I will post the page from HOAH. It definitely says it is convertible to a flush mount and when it is flush mounted it is 21" in height, it is also 21" in diameter so it is a BIG light. The flush mount in comparison is 13 in height by 14 1/2 diameter.

Just to clarify. The version you posted can be flush mount by converting it and the flush mount that I posted doesn't need conversion but the sizes are quite different.

Here is a link that might be useful: spec info for Cambridge

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I see now. Then I'd go with the flush mount. I think he curly-que light is just too big. Maybe you can put that one in your foyer!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As much as I hate to admit it I think the curly-que, though perfect aesthetically isn't right scale wise.

The good thing is when I am ready to start the foyer I already have a perfect light!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I agree.

Wish I could find the lights my client has here in her beach house. They're a perfect scale. Let me look a bit. They're just like those lights, only smaller.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

HK, I just emailed my client to ask her if she knows from where her lights came. She had a designer, so I don't know if she'll know.

Let's see what she says.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tid, THANK YOU!!! I really love the one you posted so I will wait to order to see what the designer says.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I actually like the flush mount light best. It's lovely ----and the right metal, size and shape, and is neither boob nor chandelier. It wins in all categories, very nice!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Just heard from her. She doesn't know where the lights came from, but she suggested Murray Fleiss. I looked them up and found these, Livex is the brand. Hers are VERY similar to this one, so I suspect hers are Livex. However, hers have the metal finial while these have a glass knob. Notice the measurements, though. The semi-flush mount has this at a drop of 14 inches with a 10 inch diameter. I think much better for your room.

You can Google Livex semi flush mount and check out the other styles.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

They also have them in flush mount

Here is a link that might be useful: Livex lights

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't normally like flush mounts, but I do like the one that HK posted at 11:03...and no bugs!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The Livex looks Home Depot cheap, and it is.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, thank you so much for the info. I do think a ten inch diameter won't be quite big enough. That is what held me back from using the pendant (in another finish) that I used in my kitchen. It just seemed as though it would be too small for the area. I really like what you posted especially the semi flush version but I like the burnished finish on the Hinkley version better. I think the 13 x 14 1/2 dimensions will be perfect.

KSWL, thank you. I think the flush version will be the best for my room.

Thank you Annie. I don't care for flush mount lights either but I think this one with the swirly glass will look wonderful in the room.

Thanks everyone! I will post pictures once it is installed.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Can't wait to see it. Keeping fingers crossed for you that it's perfect.