Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

Which way should I position my mirror? Vertically or horizontally

natureperson
9 years ago

I am not sure which way I should hang my new mirror above my dining area buffet. I'll show you some pics of my townhouse so you have an idea of what the size and appearance of the space is like. I'll let you know when I am done posting the pics, so hopefully you can give me your opinion. Thank you. The dining area is open to the living area.

Here's the dining area with the old mirrors.

Comments (35)

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the living area, so you can see what is opposite this area and the space involved.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the new mirror, which is 48 inches by 58 inches. It's large and heavy, so we couldn't hold it up very easily. It's the Omni Mirror from Z Gallerie.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the vertical placement using cardboard since the mirror weighs about 100 pounds.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I like vertically.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the horizontal placement. Which do you think will look best for this space? Also, sometimes there is a bit of a glare on the previous mirrors, so is there anything I can do to reduce that?

Thanks. I'm done with the pics.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

horizontally and make sure the top of the mirror is no taller than the top of the 3 windows on the other wall.

Not sure what you mean about reducing glare in mirror. if they are across a window, not much you can do unless windows are covered.

Very lovely and tastefully appointed place, BTW

• msrose
    9 years ago

horizontal

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Horizontally

• blfenton
    9 years ago

horizontal.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like most of you are liking the horizontal placement. If I go that route, do you think I should line the mirror up

1) with the top of the doorway?
    2) below the top of the doorway?
    3) above the doorway?

Thanks for your opinions.

Bossyvossy, thanks for the kind words. And yes, that is what I was talking about with the glare. I never expected the windows on the other side of the living area to cause a glare on the mirrors on the dining area wall. I typically don't close the curtains.

This post was edited by natureperson on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 22:11

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I try not to go by rules but rather by what I like, but it is more pleasing to the eye and less distracting if the distance between the ceiling and the top edge of ALL hangings are the same distance, irrespective of the doorway.

Sometimes that doesn't work if you have a collection of small pics/art in one wall, and a large mirror or painting on another.

But making the top edge be the same is generally recommended. that is why I suggested to you to hang mirror same as the windows, which are sort of wall décor.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Perhaps bossyvossy thinks the 3 mirrors you are replacing are windows?

I love the new mirror and agree that horizontal is best. I would probably center it between top of doorway and top of wainscoting.

edited to correct punctuation

This post was edited by olychick on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 0:28

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like the horizontal and where the photo of the paper shows in hanging. If it does not look lost in space centered between the ceiling and the molding, then I would go with that.

BTW, where did you get your chandy? Do you like it? Looks like one I am considering from overstock but in orb.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I am curious why you are not hanging the mirror on the wall to the left that seems to me would not get any glare.
    Your room is lovely.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

aktillery, I bought the chandy at Overstock. Although I wish it were bigger, I do like it a lot.

tyban, I kept going back and forth on which wall to hang the mirror. However, I figured that since I have a mirror now above the fireplace that it would look a little odd to put another mirror on the same wall in the dining area. No? You are right probably about the glare though and another reason I considered the wall you mention.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm really curious what you all think about me putting the mirror on the adjacent wall where it won't be a glare issue, even though I have a round mirror above my mantle in the living area. I could place some artwork above the buffet instead of the mirror.

Any opinions on this are greatly appreciated. :)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I like the mirror on the side wall idea, as long as you have substantial artwork which will keep the back wall a focal point (but I'm no expert).

I also have that chandy and like it very much! I wish it were crystal...but if it were I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Horizontal. (pretty room)

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Definitely horizontal. I have a similar set up in my dining room.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I say vertical....since horizontally it is almost the same width as your buffet....I think it makes more of an impact vertically.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Oh I see I was confused. You are taking off 3 skinny mirrors and putting the z gallerie mirror in place. If the are no other wall hangings on the room, then I would center between ceiling and top of wainscoting. In any case, would not take into account door frame, wouldn't that make it too matchy-matchy?

Wasn't part of the glare from your camera?

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Horizontal. (pretty room)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Also I don't think it is a prob to position mirrors on the same wall of two diff rooms, esp I you can't see BOTH mirrors at the same time. Would def eliminate glare prob. Then you could hang a pic on the glare wall , making sure the framer uses non-glare glass. I think I've had all my artwork framed with non glare glass, extra cost is not significant and so worth it

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bossyvossy, I'm thinking most of that glare probably was from the camera. How much glare should/could there be from those windows on the other side of the living area?

My DH decided to hang the mirror and said if we decided we didn't like it, he would change it later. So, it's basically centered between the wainscoting and the crown molding, but down slightly because it seemed a bit too high. Horizontally placed. I kind of liked it vertical just because it seemed a little more dramatic, but I'm no expert and needed your opinions. He likes it horizontal too. I just don't want to see reflections of us eating, which won't be possible now because of the height of the mirror.

Thanks everyone. I'll post a pic when done and see what you think.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the mirror placed. What do you think? And do you have any ideas of what else I can do with this space as far as what to put on the table and buffet? I know I need artwork on the adjacent wall.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is close up. Only glare is from my camera.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Like the horizontal placement, lovely DR!

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, kswl!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Looks awesome and I particularly love how blingy it looks with the chandelier!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

For the buffet to act as an anchor, I wouldn't want more than 6 inches or so from the top of the furniture. I'd place it quite close to the chair rail, but that's personal preference.

Of course, I would rather see it hung vertically. I like more of a 2/3 ratio between the two items.

When you sit at the table and look into the mirror, what is reflected? I feel like you'd be looking at a reflection of the ceiling. If you lower it (or turn it, lol), do you see more of the room?

• natureperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, robotropolis.

alex, I see what you mean. I just sat at the table and do see too much of the ceiling, and it does seem too high on the wall. Maybe I should have gone with my initial instincts, which was to hang it vertically and closer to the buffet. I've seen pics of it done that way and I like it. With a few lamps on either side, it looked nice from what I recall. I'm surprised more of you didn't vote for vertical. ;)

• msrose
    9 years ago

I love it just like it is!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

For the top of the buffet, a simple display in line with your aesthetic. The two lamps would be nice, for a little additional ambience. In between them you could have a pretty vase with a simple branch arrangement. If you drink, you could arrange some of the nicer liquor bottles on a tray. A stack of art books (or whatever your interests are) elevating a sculpture. Or nothing in the middle!

I actually use my buffet to help serve dinner so that we don't have to go into the kitchen if someone wants seconds. I have a few decorative items on one end but keep the rest of the surface clear. I'd rather not move things out of the way every day.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I believe mirrors started being used as wall hangings when the intent was to "double" another view, say the outdoors through a window or double doors. So if what is reflected on your mirror is juist ceiling, maybe it wasn't the best wall hanging choice. Oh, but they make them so pretty these days, they are hard to resist. Yours is def. gorgeous.

Back to mirror orientation, I didn't realize that you were planning on adding light sconces. And why would you do that? b/c you need to fill up lateral space. Precisely the reason why placed horizontally has been so popular here. It fills up the space that needs to be filled. Additionally, with that pretty, blingy chandy, won't sconces be distracting? You seem to have pretty sleek, non-cutesy taste. I think sconces might be too much, esp. if you don't need extra illumination.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

pretty house!