Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyg215

mantel or not?

Suzy
13 years ago

should we do a mantel surround that matches the built ins with 12x24 travertine above it and inside it or should we just use 12x24 travertine all the way up floor to ceiling?

Comments (13)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Definitely a mantel. You'll enjoy decorating with it and they're also functional, imo. What color travertine are you going to use?

Love the built-ins!

• kimmieb
    13 years ago

depends on the design asthetic you are going for? can't tell exactly. What mantel are you thinking about? pics? I would go all the way up the wall with the stone if you are going for a more modern look. there is a lot going on with the built ins so a very simple mantel is probably what you are thinking? looks great. love the couches. what room in your house is this?

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it's our "great" room, but i prefer to call it the family room. there's no formal living room, so this is the main room for everything. yes, thinking a very clean, simple mantel. our style is transitional i guess. a bit on the contemporary side. here's a pic of our kitchen so you get a better idea of the design style. it's open to the family room.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I do think a mantel is in order, but not sure I'd go all the way up. Maybe do the lower part and see if that is enough before going all the way...
    I love the trav choice, btw, because not only is it pretty, but it is different than most others ;)

• barb5
    13 years ago

I think I would do a mantel that is simple and white and ties in with the horizontal peices of your built ins.

If you don't do one, you will have this space that is flat vertically, in between shelves that have things on them. I think it will look disjointed and not tied in with the rest of your wall.

Your space is lovely.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

How about stone up to the ceiling with a mantel? It would add a nice texture to the room.

• andee_gw
    13 years ago

Definitely a mantel, otherwise it seems like a void (although the marble might make that less obvious). Can you do some sort of mock-up? You have horizontal shelves in the built-ins, none of which seem to be at the right height for a mantel, and so it seems that the mantel horizontal would have to come between them. That might make the wall more disjointed rather than unifying them.

• teacats
    13 years ago

A vote for a simple thick white mantel -- and open space above it -- to allow options for hanging a great mirror (silver starburst?); or a modern clock or a modern artwork (maybe a long rectanglar modern artwork with strong black-and-white forms)

GORGEOUS rooms!!!! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Srg

lovely rooms

I have ? about a few of the elements existing

- The wood flooring appears to be different colors in kitchen & family room - is that the case or is it the pics/my monitor?

Is there anything delineating the 2 rooms - pony wall or the likes?

- What is the stone on the hearth? -
    I would not rec travertine if you are keeping the hearth stone as it seems that the contrast may present a jarring/harsh effect - if that makes sense.

- I agree w/simple linear mantle - are you thinking of having lentils (legs) or just top mantle.

- I would scour some of the stone/tile yards to see what jumps out at you & try to bring some samples home to put in the space.

- do you have any of the subway tile left from kitchen project? It may be interesting to see a mock up of those in that space

Best to you

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jejvtr: the flooring is all the same color but the lighting was different in the pic of the kitchen vs the family. nothing to delineate the two rooms. we're thinking of a full mantel surround in a style that totally mimics the doors of the built ins. very simple. i already know the stone i want to use. it's ocean blue vein cut travertine. and we'd be replacing the stone on the hearth with it as well.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I vote for a mantel.

Question? Was your stainless steel backspash expensive?

• les917
    13 years ago

No mantel, travertine all the way up.

Having a mantel there will make the fireplace just another box in the built-ins. The unboxed space gives the fireplace more importance.

Hard to tell, but with your present furniture arrangement, it looks like the fireplace is actually behind the seating, not a part of it. I would certainly try to rearrange to change that, imo.

Lovely home. What is your accent color going to be? A deep blue to pull out the subtle blue in the travertine would be wonderful!