Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Help Me Choose a Cover!

anele_gw
9 years ago

I have an Ektorp sofa and chair that I may want new covers for. My room colors are red, orange and pink.

Flooring is still a ? now. Hopefully will get refinish hardwoods in the spring. Wall color likely an ivory w/yellow undertone (not green) in this room.

Possible inspiration pic-- just a starting off point vs. copy.

No photo of room, but here is what I have in it:
Curtain Fabric (more orange than what photo shows)

Pillows

On wall

Tables (not my furniture; this was CL photo)

Chair (in the sunroom which is adjacent to LR; will be recovered eventually, hopefully within yr)

My ugly FP (paint color is different but is going to be repainted again by Oct-- not sure what)-- crystal lamps are gone . . .

Mantel lamps-- am going to get red shades

Brass and bronze lamps in the room.
Choices
I have white now and I feel like it does not work with FP. Too stark white. HOWEVER, today my 4 y.o. said our cat peed on a chair . . .this has never happened in the history of our cat ownership, ever, and I did not smell or see the pee . . .so weird. Anyway, I was all set on getting the Vellinge Beige, which is $ for me, and microfiber = no machine wash.

Beige with green tint

Red (I worry this will be too much red and look matchy-matchy; neutrals matching don't bother me as much)

Microfiber beige

Darker Cotton Idemo Beige (I don't know what this looks like IRL-- could be lighter)

Thank you!!!

This post was edited by anele on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 21:00

Comments (10)

• wish2okc
    9 years ago

Love your curtain fabric! The second sofa color would be my choice. I really like all the pieces you have and I bet the room will be great when you get it all together .

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Anele, your room is going to be fabulous. I like all except for the last one. On my monitor the color looks flesh like. I don't think I would do the microfiber if you can't wash it. I love neutrals but I am really drawn to the red.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I actually like the last one best. To me, the darker color gives it more of an Old World, earthy feel.

• User
    9 years ago

I think white is your best bet with all that other color and pattern.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like the mid tone of the last one best. I like a solid neutral for a sofa as it becomes a backdrop for whatever pillows/throws you might want to use.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I just love the curtain, pillows and wall hanging. I would go with an off white duck, but then I always do!

Is a new cover a lot of money, relative to the sofa? If it is I might choose a more streamlined sofa.

Id choose one or two. The last one is too peach, and to me microfiber is wrong for your international room, which is too sophisticated for faux suede IMHO. The green tint is troublesome on the first one, so I might experiment with that and the red

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

There are several potential choices:

Tigelsjo

Stenasa white (it's not as white as the Blekinge)

Risane

Idemo beige, it's actually lighter in real life than on your picture and can be washed hot

Microfiber may be practical but it's not as old world charm as your other materials imo.

Also, they are all currently on sale if you sign up for the IKEA Family Membership; however, that's only available in stores.

I probably would go with the Idemo beige.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wishful, I saw your microfiber thread, it had me seriously considering the microfiber cover! Seems like a very durable material!

Holly-Kay, yes, the flesh tone concerns me, too! I am not sure what it looks like IRL since it's been awhile. If it looks like the chair pic that NoSoccer posted, that would be OK!

Annie, I agree that a neutral makes it more fun to change up the pillows!

Mtn, yes, I have white now! I am drawn to it, too-- it's my ugly FP that I feel makes it not work. The slipcovers are cheap (the white is only $49 for the sofa!), but you have me thinking that maybe I should just wait and get new furniture in the relatively near future. I would like something more streamlined, as you said. The sofa isn't too bad proportionally, but the chair is no good.

Nosoccer, I had nixed the other beiges because they seemed a little too light-- too light to hide stains, but then I couldn't bleach them because they were not white. The Tigelsjo is so cheap it may be worth the risk, but I didn't like the green undertone. I knew about the sale . . .sadly, my TWO local Ikeas (ugh!) are sold out of the Idemo for the chair. I am not sure they will get any back in stock before the sale is up. They have been restocking the Tigelsjo but no others. You don't think it will be discontinued, do you?

Thank you, everyone, for your insights! Very much appreciated!

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

anele, it seems like Ikea should give you the sale price when they have more Idemo in stock- a raincheck?

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, they won't this time, I don't think, because they specify that it's "until supplies last. :(

They do have the sofa cover now, so I could get that-- but I'm not sure if the chair cover is coming back/discontinued, and then I'd be stuck.

This post was edited by anele on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 10:33