Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
color help,PLZ!

Posted by gramsbear (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 19:37

My great room is very large and very dark.It opens to the dining room and kitchen.These rooms have more light.Need to paint and thought I wanted light neutral color to make it all brighter,but while trying the" paint your room tools",I find I like deeper,darker colors better.Especially with my darker oak cabinets(stained minwax pecan)
I cant afford to have it painted twice so I really need help...The current color is SW Bagel and Ive never liked it...Aldo I paint them both the same or move a shade or two different?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: color help,PLZ!

another pix...excuse the mess.did this on the spur of the moment...

o

but while trying the" paint your room tools",I find I like deeper,darker colors better.

I've been painting virtually, using professional yet similar virtual painting tools for about 8 years.

Here's what I know. The deeper, darker colors ALWAYS make a better virtual picture. Managing more neutral, grayed, lighter colors is really hard to achieve in paint a room programs.

Truth is if you can manage gray and control how light colors 'come across' on a monitor, you can pretty much rule the world. (might be a slight exaggeration but kinda not really)

For the DIY user of those paint a room programs, it's best to use the tool for helping choose hue. For example, do you like green more than blue. Do you like the energy from red more than yellow.

Once you have direction on what hue is preferred, then you can move on to acquiring paint swatches in order to decide on a specific color - like a golden buff yellow vs. a creamy buttercream yellow.

So, that's my 2 cents what ever it's worth about paint a room programs. And, I don't think your house looks all that messy - y'all should see my kitchen right now. OMG, totally out of control!

o

I have to agree on "bagel" I saw it at someone's home and I thought it looked like skin/flesh
What color is your couch, drapes, etc.?
What colors do you like?
There are some very pretty soft greens that might look nice next to your oak kitchen.

o

Hello Gramsbear,
You don't have a messy house! Your kitchen lay-out looks alot like mine and your cabinets look the same.. We have vaulted ceiling therefore when i was picking out paint I knew I would have to love it for a long time. I ended using SW Chop Sticks and LOVE it.. If you like I'll try to send pictures?

o

Im widowed(65 yrs young.lol) on SS raising a 6 year old great granddaughter so money is tight,but I intend to get new furniture ASAP.The floors through out are a golden oak,as is the mantle.The cupboards are oak,stained pecan,and I have a offwhite mottled laminate countertop.
Will be painting all the silver and brass fixtures and handles, oil rubbed bronze.
My tv cabinet and piano are expresso,have other mismatched wood items.
I have so many oak wood tones....right now my area rug is dark brown,but I stole it from the finished basement until I can find a new one.
Was very country when we built house in 1998,now Im into the new looks,and less is more look.
My kitchen table is a 1967 metal masters,in great shape and solid but its all a very dark formica,even the legs.Need to paint the oak chairs..
Yes send me pictures!!!
All of your ideas are so welcome.....Ive only got 1 shot at this!

o

Would you consider a pale, luminous blue? Your wood tones would look very nice against it, and if you are careful to choose a pale enough, light reflective color, I think you'd be off to a good start.

But the biggest problem see in your rooms is that you don't have enough sources of light to lighten the shadowy spaces. You need lamps, with white shades that let lots of light out!
Consignment shops can be a great source of lamps, and you can find reasonably inexpensive white shades to replace what are likely to be old, mismatched, and stained or yellowed second-hand shades.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here