Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

Show me your entryways

Lisa Hayes
12 years ago

My kitchen and FR are connected with a standard double opening. I would like to open it up with some sort of fluted columns. My DH is being very stubborn about this and doesn't want to do it. I think it would really update the house. I would love to see pics of others entryways that divide their rooms. My FR has stained wainscoting and I don't dare bring up painting it, but I would like to combine paint and stain in the entryway, but I need some examples to show DH so he can get some kind of vision. So please post your pics if you have them.

Comments (16)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Don't know if this will help b/c it is still under construction, but here's the columns and arch dividing our foyer and dining room:

• roarah
    12 years ago

I do not have columns but I do have painted and wood trims mixed. Doors and banister are stained mouldings are painted. It is tiny so hard to photograph but I think this shows the wood mixed with paint trim. Beagle your new build is lovely and I am an old house gal!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Roarah, I am kind of tired of people using white molding to "pop" but I am not ready for the heaviness of stained wood. Your combination is perfect, just perfect. And the wall color too. Brava.

Hey Beagles, it's really coming along! Your colors remind me of Monet.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Thanks. I'm actually an old house girl too and would have bought a beautiful old home in a second if we lived in a place that had a lot of them to choose from and if my fiance wasn't opposed to the idea of buying an old house. Now, I'm just trying to incorporate some old world details. And I love Monet! We'll probably put up Monet prints in some of the areas, so good they'll match :)

roarah, your house is beautiful! I love the dark stain! I don't want to hijack the thread, but do you mind if I ask you what the wood is and how it was stained. Through a series of misadventures, our stairs and bannister are a different wood species from our floors, and I want to stain them both very dark rather than trying and failing to match, and yours looks like it would be the perfect color and it looks great w/ your lighter wood floors too, a beautiful contrast.

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

We don't have columns either, but we do have painted/stained mix. Hope this helps!

• roarah
    12 years ago

Thanks Mtnrdredux and beagles. I have to admit my mix of trim and wood is due to laziness. After stripping and refinishing all the doors(they were all painted lavander) I could not fathom any more dust so I looked up old homes and in the 20s the mix of stained doors and painted trim was used so I ran with the easier fix. Glad you like it:).

Beagles, the banister was the only orginally stained wood left in the house when we purchased. I believe it is mahogany in a jacobean stain. I had trouble finding a Jacobean stain for the doors when I refinished them so they are in a dark mahagony finish by minwax, I think and i "polyed" them with a glossy finish for that is how the banister was...they are not an exact match but pretty close. once again your new home looks very old world! Beautiful mill work!

• pagram
    12 years ago

Our dining room is straight ahead of the entry way. I couldn't get both columns to show in the photo. I wish now that we had put 2 columns on either side but won't bring that up to DH. We changed columns on front porch entry last year - quite a project.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

thanks roarah. I'll ask my builder about mahogany stain w/ a glossy poly finish. It could be just what we need!

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I don't have a combination of stained and painted trim, but we do have columns separating our entry and great room. Our home is very casual compared to most on the forum. Just another perspective for you to look at.

• nini804
    12 years ago

This is our recently completed new build.
    This is the foyer...our door is stained mahogany, the stair rail is stained oak and the trim is SW Extra White painted wood. Note the panel detail we had the carpenters do inside the cased opening to the dining room on the left. It is repeated in the very large cased openings on two sides of the family room.

• susieq07
    12 years ago

My Foyer:

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

Well, when we purchased our house there was an arched opening between living and dining rooms:

And we added fluted casing to the sides and top and other decorative trim both to the LR side and the DR side of the arch. The trim throughout most of the house is a pale yellow, but in the dining room everything is painted in the same oxblood color, inc. all trim. So while that's not a stained wood it's also not white or, in our case, pale yellow. Maybe that'll give an idea what white might look like with a darker wood?

from the living room into the dining room, the whole arch:

up close of the trim detail:

and from the dining room, as much of the whole thing as I could get:

up close in the dining room, to see where the oxblood paint meets the pale yellow of the LR trim:

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

I'm glad I saw this post. We have dark stained doors and trim, but I've been wanting to paint the closet door in the kitchen because it butts right up next to a bank of cabinets, and the cabinets are a completely different color, so it just looks funny. But the dark trim is carried into the adjoining hallways, so I wasn't sure I wanted to try to paint that. Now it looks like it's okay to paint the door and leave the dark trim... I'll have to photoshop it and see.

• nancyvh
    12 years ago

Nini804, Do you mind sharing your paint color? Looking for precisely that color . What a lovely home!

• dalmadarling
    12 years ago

love2weed here's a little more inspiration for the entryway to help show your husband what can be :)
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/entryway-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_741

nini804 what you've done in your home is gorgeous! very nice.

• ctlane
    12 years ago

I was also wondering what color Nini804 has used. Looks perfect.