Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrissyc1972

BM Yellow Paint Help

chrissyc1972
14 years ago

I am painting a 9 x 6 office/scrapbook room. I want to do a creamy yellow that isn't too bright. Any suggestions or pictures.

Comments (22)

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

Olympic paint color...Belgian Waffle. I have it in my foyer and part of my living room and also the sunroom. It is a wondeful color. I had it made up in BM matte. pics are in my photobucket. this is the truest pic...foyer in background:

{{!gwi}}

• parma42
    14 years ago

9x6 is a pretty small room. Be sure, when you're picking your samples, to choose those that don't look too yellow. When the paint is on all four walls, the color will magnify, greatly. While this is true of all colors, yellow is, by far, the truest example.

This is SW Ivoire. It can be mixed in Benjamin Moore. It's a bit warmer IRL.

When I painted a test wall, it looked beige. I knew, from other pictures, that it would turn yellow once it was on all four. An old trick is to paint the inside of a shoe box and watch how the color intensifies.

Have you checked out the gallery to see pics of other yellow rooms?

• ttodd
    14 years ago

BM Filtered Sunlight or Straw (1 down from Filtered Sunlight). I don't have pics (the rm. changed that fast) but for a very brief period of time we had our teeney tiny and I mean TINY room like about 8X6, painted as follows:

Walls: Straw
    Trim: Filtered Sunlight
    Built ins: Vanilla Ice Cream

It was perfection (high mid noon sun filled the rm). Our then 4yr old son told me that he really liked the rm. because it was cozy and warm. But they had too many toys and the rm. became a nursery w/ a whole new scheme.

I had visions of putting an old gold patinaed crystal chandelier in there w/ sumptuous rich ivory curtains. Oh how I adored the subtlety of that rm! BTW - I HATE yellow so that tells you how much this combo worked for me.

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

Trailrunner,
    Beautiful colors!!!
    What is the other color in your room? (the toasted/rust one at the back of the lamp)

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

marthaelena: thank you I am all about color, as they say :) The chocolate is Belgian Chocolate, also an Olympic paint color made up in BM matte. I really like Olympic colors more so than any other brand that I have found. They really do come out very well when made up in BM paints. Here is another view of the morning room with the chocolate.there are more at the link: house interior pics. Thank you again. c

{{!gwi}}

• mdasay
    14 years ago

Look at Acorn Yellow. Just painted a small powder room this color and love it! Not too bright at all, but more rich and welcoming...

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I want to do a creamy yellow that isn't too bright. Any suggestions or pictures.

Jersey Cream from Sherwin Williams is a good one. BenM can mix it, no problem.

• chrissyc1972
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks for the suggestions! These look great!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

BM Philadelphia Cream. Shown truest in this pic over the door frame.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Have a look at BM #207 (vellum). It is a wonderful color. It's soft and creamy, and not a bit "in your face" at all. My mom used it in her living room:

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

ok, dumb me. What is a morning room? maybe I need one!! ha ha:)

• nutmegxo
    14 years ago

I just posted my finished pictures of my dining room in another thread on here but thought I would post one in here. I used BM's Windham Cream on the upper portion of the wall and Linen White for the lower part. I love the windham cream, it is yellowy cream.

{{!gwi}}

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Check out an Ace color called Manor White (BM can mix it for you). It's not white, it's a cream with a whisper of lemon sunshine. (Can you tell I love the color?! ;) I don't have any photos I can post, but it's not a jarring yellow, it's one of those colors that just leaves you wanting more, if that makes sense. Holds its own in lower light rooms. It's one of my favorites! ;)

• susanj8
    14 years ago

I just painted my bedroom Montgomery White. It is a soft yellow. I can post pictures if interested- don't have any yet since it was just painted a few weeks ago.

• patches_02
    14 years ago

All the yellows shown are very pretty and like everyone says ( creamy ) what would those same colors look like with the dark oak woodwork?

• wyvernsea
    14 years ago

Both my daughter and I painted our long, narrow halls with BM Straw. Lovely shade that shifts from cream almost to yellow. Warms up the space and lightens it.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

patches, the rooms I painted in Ace's Manor White are in an older house that has white trim, but several varying shades of darker stained oak antique pieces. I personally love how the color looks as a backdrop to the dark oak.

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

susanj8, can you post pics of bm montgomery white?

• robinst
    14 years ago

We had Almond Bisque CC 280 and Straw Hat CC 290 in our old house. They were very easy colors to live with. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share.

• susanj8
    14 years ago

It is very overcast and rainy today so my bedroom is really dark now and I don't want to use the flash or turn on the halogen light and skew the color. I will try and post a picture tomorrow!

• annab6
    14 years ago

We just used BM Gentle Cream, very light and easy yellowish cream.

On my monitor it looks a little peachy on my own photo, but in person it doesn't. Our rooms are narrow and anything with more yellow than this looked too me as really yellow.

this is painted with just one coat:

• susanj8
    14 years ago

I can't figure out how to post the pictures within my message. Here is a link to an album showing Montgomery White. I think the first picture is the "truest" and the third is the worst- it is definitely not that bright in real life.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montgomery White

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling