Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevm613_gw

Struggling with paint color for living room

KevM613
9 years ago

Hi All,
I'm a new homeowner and my girlfriend has finally convinced me to start sprucing up the interior of the home. First thing up is a new paint color for the living room (was formerly a dining room). As you can see there are quite a few windows, as well as two skylights and a french door on the right. I was thinking of a green/gray after doing some research and like the idea of Benjamin Moore's Nantucket Gray, though i'm not sure if it would look great with the couch color and stained pine floors and ceiling (the curtains are being tossed!). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (25)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Gray/Green. Kind of drab, maybe?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Riverway - These are all SW colors just because of the program, and they're just to give you an idea of how different colors might look

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd paint the trim white.

SW New Colonial Yellow

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Tapenade

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Spalding Gray

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Craft Paper

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wild Oat

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ruskin Room Green

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Love your sectional. How about a darker blue? Also, are you considering a rug, coffee table or ottoman? What about art work?

If you go with a neutral gray or off white, then you need some colorful art work or pillows.

Other colors:

{{!gwi}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Liberty Blue

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Naval

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Glass Knob

• KevM613
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your help! It looks like I can be a little more daring in my color selection, or go neutral with brighter interior decorations. And yes nosoccermom, there will be a rug, end tables and probably an ottoman added.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I've got the template, so if you'd like me to plug in any colors, let me know. Light colors are much harder to portray.

Ask yourself how you want to FEEL when you're in the room. Also, what is the light like most of the day in there? Which way does the room face? Direct sunlight?

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 20:34

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

You should start with a rug you LOVE, that works with the couch, and choose a paint color that works with both afterwards. There are millions of paint colors so it's easier to do it in this order.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

At this point you can go with almost any color and let that drive your future purchases for the room. However, the curtains you have hung are very 1980s and give an old lady vibe to the room. I would replace them with a single rod and straight panels on each side if you really want curtains, or eliminate them entirely if you do not.

• amykath
    9 years ago

It seems any gray, greenish hue or blue only blends more with your sofa. I would go with something that contrasts it. Is it gray as it appears on my monitor? If so, I would go with a light tan color. Accessible beige by sw wiliams might be a good start. It reads somewhat grayish here but I believe from seeing it, it is much warmer.

I would add a lighter colored rug with some colors you like.

Also when you remove the curtains, I might consider painting out all of the trim in a cream or white.

Of course a coffee table would be in order, lamps, art etc.

Nice space and sectional!! You can do wonders with that room. Oh and one more idea, I would place a small rug in front of the french doors or sliders to cover the tile. It kinda sticks out imo.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I did a mockup of ideas for your living room. Please ignore the elementary way in which I did it. I use powerpoint.

Let me know what you think. I can share with you where I found the various items in the room if you like any of them

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I'm drawn toward the Tamenade, maybe even a bit darker. Agree with the drapes, although this wasn't the subject.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I will strongly ditto what Tracie wrote:

Get the rug first!!!! Find a rug that you love... and THEN find a paint color that pulls the whole room together.

It's harder to find a rug to match a paint color than vice versa. So...

Find the rug first.

There are a bazillion paint colors, but only a few perfect rugs.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

OP said they're tossing the curtains!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, I just read the first post and not the thread. Getting rid of,those curtains will make more of a difference than any paint color!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Nantucket Gray

• loribee
    9 years ago

Amy, great job! The mock up is wonderful!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Thanks Lori.