Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Well it's a start

sochi
10 years ago

A big hole where our little modernist cottage will perch! And the colours are just starting to change here.

This post was edited by sochi on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 19:24

Comments (11)

• awm03
    10 years ago

How exciting, sochi! Hope everything goes smoothly.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Yay!!!! Can't wait to watch the progress!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Woo hoo! Have you posted the plans yet? What fun to start, literally, from scratch! Congrats.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've posted a couple of times asking for advice on living room and kitchen layout. Since then we've made the cottage a tiny bit bigger, but it is still quite small, about 1,000 sq feet on the main floor and another 550 or so in the walk out.

It will take a while, so I have to be patient. They might get it to air tight by Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully it is finished by early summer. January to early March are tough months to accomplish much. If we get much freezing rain or heavy snow the site may be inaccessible. Much easier to build in the city.

Here is a mock up of the place in situ.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another:

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

Very exciting! I'm very much looking forward to following your progress.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

What a lovely setting. This will be wonderful with all your windows bringing the outdoors in. May I ask, Where is this?

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Well it's a start ....but a momentous one.

Your site brings back fond memories of building our place in the mountains - all trees and rock and more rock. One spring we tried to naturalize daffodils and spent 3 days with a mallet and a crowbar trying to dig holes deep enough for the bulbs.

I hope all goes well with your build. Keep posting photos - you know we will enjoy watching your progress.

This post was edited by maire_cate on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 8:58

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will post with progress from time to time, although the fun stuff won't come much before Spring I'm afraid. We are going up canoeing tomorrow, I will take some more pictures.

Mlweaving, we are building in Quebec, Canada. The fall colours are just starting to come out here and it's lovely and warm. A good weekend for a paddle and hike.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous house and setting! I love your current house so know that you are going to do something spectacular here. Congrats on your big hole in the ground!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Sochi, how is your place coming along? If you could refer me to your latest thread that would be wonderful. I want to follow this project:)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES