Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_12623652

Your opinions on this table

User
9 years ago

I'm thinking of picking up cheap stuff from CL and refinishing/painting it and reselling it. Just for fun -- don't really know what I'm doing, but will learn along the way. I found this table on CL and I think it would look cute painted a Chinese red -- or is it just ugly? The man says the glass is about 3/4 inch thick. What do you think? I know that I would like it myself, but I don't have room for it. But I question my taste sometimes. Opinions?

Comments (13)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I don't know how to attach more than one pic -- here's the glass.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I think itâÂÂs a great idea, and do like chinese red for it. IâÂÂd buy it, if I had the place for it.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't decide if it's cute or if it's Florida vacation condo rental style that should have peach upholstered chairs going along with it.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love that table and would I would use it just as it is, but I would also like it painted dark brown and faux finished in a tortoiseshell pattern. I think bright colors would work well in certain types of homes...red, turquoise, ocean blue, acid green...as would super shiny ebony.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I've seen painted rattan in lots of eclectic room settings, and it looks good. Usually they are painted in bright, glossy colors, or gloss black,

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Black sounds nice too. BTW the price is $85. I like the tortoiseshell idea too but don't have that talent!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Red! yes! Try it as a starter.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Yes, tortoise would be cool too! I have painted some rattan and the down side is the prep- getting it clean enough to paint....all those nooks and crannies. They have a spray shop where my husband works and I just had them spray it for me.

This post was edited by coll_123 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:46

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Love that table! I'd have trouble painting it any color; however if you do decide on Chinese Red, why not look for chairs that would go with it first. Then you'd have a set and not a customer scratching his/her head, wondering how they'll ever find chairs to go with it.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

gail618 what do you think you could buy it for and what do think you would ask for it after your work? I've done a fair amount of CL furniture re-sales but I either get the things I fix up at garage sales or church rummage sales, curbside (our town does a yearly pick up of anything at the curb and people toss out great furniture!) or from freecycle. Unless your don't mind giving away your time and possibly even some of what you may invest in materials, you might want to look for other sources that won't cost so much up front. I've had my share of things that I barely broke even on or even lost a little and that's part of the learning curve but it's not the fun part! Around me, freecycle is an almost never ending source for free furniture - of course not all of it is worth taking.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

It would look great painted a bright red.

BUT...it's not going to be easy to paint, unless you have a quality sprayer and a paint room.

ML

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Dim, that is certainly true. It's very difficult to make a decent profit on painting furniture. It has to be close to free to start, and even then, if you divide your sale price by the number of hours you put into the project, and factor in the cost of materials, it's not usually a very good return

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I guess you are right, I need to look for better bargains. I'm already in the middle of painting a dresser, so I'll see how that goes before I buy anything else. Don't want to end up with a house full of stuff I can't sell! Thanks for your advice.