Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deltabreeze

Ideas for decorating a long narrow hallway--pics

deltabreeze
15 years ago

Our front entrance leads to a long narrow hallway. Trying to add some life to it, we hung a big mirror at the end

and put down a long, brightly colored carpet. These seem to accentuate the length and narrowness of the hallway.

So . . . we moved the carpet elsewhere and are planning to

take down the mirror, "weed" the bookcase, and hang some

family photos along the wall (where the green paper is).

What else could make the space look a bit nicer?

I am thinking about a 4 foot round or oval carpet in red or black

and maybe replacing the first recessed lighting fixture in the hallway with something that hangs down a bit.

(The rest of the hallway has recessed features.) Another ideas?

Here are some pics, with and without the rug. By the way, the red room to the left as you enter is a den/music room and the LR falls to the right.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (31)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I'm of two minds: (wait -- first, I LOVE your black door!) I'd love to see a bunch of pictures hung on the wall where the mirror currently is, or a large, important (as in important to you) piece there. My other mind is what about a petite (shallow) console table with a lamp and sundry objets in place of the mirror (again with a piece hung above it, inc. a much smaller mirror).

So that's what I'm thinking.

Oh, I also like the idea of a rug anchoring the hallway. I know you said you'd tried it and it only made the space feel longer and narrower, but I think that's in concert with the too-large mirror anchoring the end of the hallway. Then again, I'm a sucker for rugs ....

Someone's waking up from his nap! Gotta go. You've got a great space with which to work and I think with minimal effort you can make it sing.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, do you mean something like this (but smaller?) Hmm, I wonder how much space we have. I will go check.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

• mjlb
    15 years ago

One thought would be to hang the mirror horizontally on the wall opposite the bookcase. Add some family photos in the edited bookcases, and the reflected image would expand the narrow hallway. Then hang artwork or lantern at end of hall.

Haven't read any feng shui books recently, but I think it might be 'bad' feng shui to see a mirror when you open your front door.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mjb,
    I don't know about feng shui, but the mirror FEELS wrong. (Somtimes feng shuit seems intuitive, sometimes not. For example, I was told by a knowlegable feng shui person, that my black front door isn't good.) Unfortunately, the hallway has a thermostat in the middle, making it impossible to hand this big mirror there. But your idea got me to thinking that maybe I could have a small mirror there.

rm kitchen-- I am looking for a tiny table right now or something that I could try out for size.

Any ideas about the rug? Should I put the long runner back in?

• User
    15 years ago

deltabreeze, What color is your paint?
    It is so pretty.

• kahlanne
    15 years ago

I also have a long narrow hallway, 14'X 4'. I recently hung a gallery of family photos on one wall and artwork on the other. I love the end result. I was told by many that it was too narrow but gave it a try anyway. It is now my favorite room of the house. I don't actually have pictures in the frames since I just hung them. Also, didn't take a shot of the hallway entirely. Many of the doors aren't on since we have been redecorating/remodeling. Still, maybe you would like to take a look.

From Hall gallery

From Hall gallery

From Hall gallery

From Hall gallery

From Hall gallery

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kahlanne-- You hall is beautiful. Thank you, it gives me a lot of ideas! I like your round mirror, too. Can you tell me what you have on your floor?

Chloe-- I brought Restoration Hardware's "Butter" to Home depot and had them match it. It is a very simple, non muddy yellow. On my monitor, the color is closest to my first and second pic. One thing to know, though, clear yellows take a lot of coats -- even if you prime first!

• teacats
    15 years ago

I'd LOVE to see a round mirror (or three of them stacked vertically like artworks) at the end of the hallway -- it literally makes the hall appear to be wider (as well documented in the example above!)

Also -- the crowded bookshelf makes folks feel "cramped" in the narrow passageway ..... could you clear out a few of the books so that the books would be stacked hoizontally too? Perhaps add some rounded-shaped small pottery vases or bowls?

Try to leave the wall opposite the bookshelves clear until you try the clear-and-re-arrange idea --- then literally walk down the hallway -- and see where you walk -- in the middle or slightly to the left as you pass the bookshelves? Then see if the naked side wall might work better .......

Hope this makes some sense .....

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

YES -- that linked photo (of the covered rad) is what I mean, although when I wrote earlier I guess I envisioned seeing the legs, although that isn't necessary.

Doing the quickest of searches I came up with these, which aren't exactly what I'd envisioned but closer:
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}
    (from Simply End Tables)

I know precious little about feng shui (my husband would shoot me if he knew I were seriously addressing it right now -- he hates it!), but one of the things I do know is to never place a mirror opposite the entry because any good fortune which enters your home is reflected right back out the door. I think a mirror opposite the entry can often work, but that's the feng shui principle, at least!

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

my first thought was to do the end wall a darker color-something you like--navy--red--deep green. and then two pictures one above the other.

• kahlanne
    15 years ago

Thanks, I am glad you like it. I actually have hardwood flooring that is similar in color to yours.

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Yah, the big mirror doesn't work. When I first looked at the photo, I thought the hallway was twice as long as it really is!

The bookcase has got to be as perfect as you can make it. Intersperse your classiest books with small sculptural pieces, things that people will want to pick up. It should be a real showpiece.

Some artwork on the opposite wall would be good... make sure it's fairly "small" -- that is, art that can be viewed comfortably from close up.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Is that bookcase built in or is it moveable.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I would leave the wall on the left empty to focus attention on the bookcase. Get rid of most of the books and put a few, a very few, decorative items on the shelves. Maybe remove a couple of the shelves to allow for more height of the objects.

Instead of - or maybe in addition to - a chandelier, I would get mini-spotlights of some kind that you could aim at something glorious on the bookcase, maybe pottery or a painting.

Love the mirror, but not in its current location. How about a wall mounted shelf below a starburst mirror?

• acomom
    15 years ago

I have a similar dilemma in my house, only my hallway is upstairs. Like you, I'm considering creating a "gallery" of photos there. My current plan to jazz it up is to hang beadboard on the bottom portion of the wall, topped with molding. Then I'll hang the photos - all b&w, in black wood frames - above it. I am also considering painting just this wall (above the white beadboard) green (F&B Cooking Apple Green ... also in my dining room downstairs; the rest of the hallway will remain a light goldy-beige, Duron Plantation Beige). The other side of my hallway is just a "pony" wall, which makes this hall space open to our family room below. I'm thinking the shot of green will be nice when you're looking up from the family room, and that it won't be too "crazy quilt"-looking since the I have the same green in the DR.

Anyhow, I think the beadboard idea might work for you too -it seems to fit the style of your house, and you have those nice bookshelves there too. I'd wrap it around that corner at the end so it's runs on to the far "end" wall, then hang a great piece of art at the end above the beadboard, or maybe a different shaped mirror - perhaps a round mirror, big heavy wood frame, convex even. (I have a similar one in my Master Bedroom that I got at Home Goods for about $70.) I think you could use some curved lines in that space to break up the photo frames and the rectangular shapes of the bookshelves.

Anyhow, good luck; you have a lovely home!

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So many great thoughts! Thank you.

teacats and acomom--I really like the idea of round mirrors and round objects. (I woudn't have thought about teacat's idea for stacking the mirrors. I will give it try.) I know I have to clear the crowded bookshelf and like the idea of stacking some of the books hoizontally and adding some rounded-shaped objects.

rmkitchen -- I think you are right about legs. I like the pic to the right the best. The problem is that I only have about 10 inches of depth at the max and maybe 20 inches in width. (Anyone with suggestions?) In terms of feng shui (about which I know nothing and usually chuckle as well), the one thing that I like about it is that it empowers people to talk about how a room feels, rather than focusing only on its functionality.

noodlesportland acoman -- I will have to think about the color and beadboard ideas -- the wall doesn't have any obvious end -- it turns around and then wraps up the stairs. I will try noodles' idea of two pics, one above the other.

kahlanne -- do you have a rug in your hall, too?

mclarke and graywings-- I agree that the bookcase needs a major beautification project and will keep the artwork smalll. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of other space in the house to relocate the books and the shelves are not movable. Graywings' idea of a starburst mirror is interesting and worth trying.

lyban-- Alas, the bookcase is built in.

Thank you everyone. Now, a search for a tiny table, perhaps with a drop leaf. It should measure no more than about 10 inches deep and 20 inches wide and, if possible, have lots of horizontal character.

Here is a link that might be useful: 8 inch deep, 16-drawer Medicine Chest (South Korea)

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Overstock has an unusual piece that I am looking at. Do you think this would work? (A bit more $$ than I planned to spend, though) If not, Target has a simple expresso demi-lune that could work for about $100 or I could check out a second hand store.

• mo13
    15 years ago

deltabreeze,
    I will start off saying I am not at all an expert in decorating. I dont know if its already been mentioned - but how about mirrors on the wall where you have the green paper? With the theory that mirrors double the space, this would make it look wider, maybe?

About the tables at the end of the hallway, how about those ledge kind of shelves or something like a box like shelf hung on the wall with no legs. There was a picture in a MS magazine with these kind of shelves. Just ideas.. :)

Mo

• gumbosoup
    15 years ago

I don't think you need to move the books or the shelving at all. It's a lovely feature and many people enjoy books - it can be a great focal point. Just tidy them all up and put the most interesting books at eye level. I like others' suggestions of laying some of them flat and adding decorative items to the shelves. You could get some nice bookends too. Have you thought about painting the shelves?

I think art on the opposite wall will still work, too. Just as long as it's not too busy.

And on the floor, how about 2-3 small round rugs? They would break up the length a bit. (This was inspired by teacats' suggestion of 3 stacked mirrors!).

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

How about a few ledge-type shelves? They're usually very thin and you can put a few of your favorite things on them. You seem to like books, so maybe a few small antique books of poetry would be a start. You could lay them flat with the title facing out.

I like an assortment of smaller mirrors rather than one large one in spaces that aren't too big~your hallway would be the perfect place! ;o)

• calicocat1967
    15 years ago

Would this table work ? It has the rounded corners so no sharp corners to bump into. Just a suggestion. :-)

{{!gwi}}

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe a grouping of round mirrors? Cheap source

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here's a source for cheap round mirrors usually used as centerpieces on wedding tables .....

Might work to create a "collage" of three or even five (depending on size) round mirrors .....

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Target mirrors

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here's some examples from Target online .....

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Would you consider using wallpaper? I would make the end wall as dramatic as possible. Be sure to add a runner. I wouldn't put anything on the long wall and minimize items in the bookcase or remove it if possible. Here are some ideas.

• caminnc
    15 years ago

A really bad mock-up.

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Oh gosh, now I see you don't have much room to add furniture there. I would still add something eye catching there.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

Have you thought about adding some doors to the book case? Like maybe folding louvered doors? That way, you can preserve the functionality of the shelves, without having to make them into a display.

I like the photo wall in a hallway.

• elizgonz
    15 years ago

You have a lovely home. I remember admiring your Flor tiles in the living room while I was researching Flor. Personally, I think keeping the hallway simple is the way to go. As you mentioned, clean up the bookcase and add a few decorative pieces to it, remove the mirror, and add a runner. I think a simple arrangement of artwork or family photos on your big wall would be very nice. I also that a darker, more dramatic wall color would look nice with your white woodwork.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness, I came back from work today and was amazed by all your creativity! I see the advantage of having a strong "end" to the hallway. I checked CL and visited some used furniture stores. I found a table and a small chest that may be possible, but I will hold off for a few days because they are larger than the space really permits.

mo13 and patty cakes  Ledges may be the way for me to go if I cannot find a piece of furniture to anchor the space. And yes an assortment of smaller mirrors

GumbosoupÂI will tidy the books, but they canÂt ALL go away  because there is no other place in the house! Bookends and painting the shelves are a good idea. My sense that is that multiple small round rugs will feel cluttered (because the hall space isnÂt as long as it looks in the first picture.)

calicocat1967Âyes, I like this. Do you have its dimensions?

Teacats  thanks for the source for mirrors

caminnc  This looks beautiful and I see what you mean about making the end wall dramatic. The challenge is that size of furniture really shouldnÂt be much bigger than 30 inches wide by (an average of ) 10 inches deep. I found a rectangular chest (not as pretty as the one you have) that is 32 by 11 1/8th and has an off-white stone top. It is at a second hand store and could be stained ebony and I could change the hardware to be like the one in your pic. I also found a two tiered demi-lune table that is 13 inches deep at its widest. This still feels too big.

ideefixe  My leaning at this point is to tidy up the bookcase.

elizgonz ÂWhy thank you. My LR improved dramatically after getting suggestions from the kind folk on this forum. In terms of color, most of the rooms that fall off this yellow "spine" of the house are vividly colored: two red, two dark blue, one teal, and one brown. We are not adverse to vivid color, but were trying to have a more neutral core to the house.

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Do you think it would be cheezy to do a mural at the end of the hall? Just an idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fengshui in the home

• boing
    15 years ago

The mural kinda makes the hallway look "noisy". Just my two cents' opinion.

By the way, if anyone is interested in feng shui and want to get some general tips on feng shui in decorating your place, you can read some articles here:

http://www.fengshui-home.blogspot.com/