Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Picking paint for areas with not much natural light

sis2two
9 years ago

I have a question about whether or not a paint colors tend to appear darker or intensify in rooms that don't get a lot of light. We live surrounded by trees and this has really made trying to select a paint color for my foyer and hallways so difficult. Powell Buff that appears like a soft goldish tan in my south western facing kitchen but looks muddy in parts of my foyer. It looks good on a couple of walls upstairs on my landing. What are your thoughts? Should I be looking for a lighter color?

Comments (11)

• zippity1
    9 years ago

yes, paint does appear a bit darker in areas not receiving a lot of sunlight
    i have found that to be true with sw antique white which reminds me of a lighter shade of possibly the same tones as your Powell Bluff
    you might chose a lighter shade on the color strip or you might look at sw antique white
    our great room has 2 smaller windows facing east and 4 windows facing west under a 10 ft wide porch and even antique white looks far more deeply tinted than in my new home with more natural light

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ok! That is what I'm thinking too about maybe going with a lighter color.

• flowerpwr45
    9 years ago

I will second the "muddifying" effect. Painted a basement room, with the typical small window, with a colour that looked great elsewhere in the house. You really wouldn't even recognize it as the same colour. I would paint a test section to be sure you like it, whatever you choose.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sis, our home is surrounded by a huge number of trees. All of my rooms are painted light colors. My living room, dining area, and library are painted SW Jersey Cream. My kitchen, breakfast area, stairway and foyer are painted SW Naturel ( a warm neutral that appears beige, grey, or greyed green depending on the time of the day. The bedrooms, bathrooms, and hallway are painted a neutral beige but I have no clue what the color is. I highly recommend going light on your walls.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I'm not a color expert, but I've always attributed the "muddifying" effect to the fact that when it gets dark, our ability to see colors goes (we're all color blind in the dark). So the darker the space, the less we see of the colors in the paint. So we need more color (more pigment) in order for our eye to distinguish a color from gray. So grayed-out colors look like a grayed-out color, or sometimes even a not-particularly-grayed-out pastel, in a bright room, but in a dark hallway they look...gray.

In an area that is always poorly lit, I think you can choose a brighter (less grayed-out, not necessarily darker or lighter) to compensate. It's the areas with mixed lighting that are really problematic--you can get a color that looks day-glo for a couple hours in the morning, or in one corner of the room, trying to get the rest of the room to not look gray.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

completely agree with cawaps. denser color for areas with little natural light.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Depending on what color family you may be considering, I recommend Eddie Bauer Flax for areas with little natural light. It is a very light color that deepens nicely in areas with little natural light and it has no unexpected undertones.

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

Oh, I totally get this! We also live in the woods and every color I have tried has not been right. We've been here seven years now, have painted multiple times, and I am still not happy with the colors. :(

• selcier
    9 years ago

While I normally whole-heartily support dark, dark colors... Valspar Cream in My Coffee is a wonderful neutral with no 'other color' undertones. It looks lovely in the light and exactly the same in the dark.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nutsaboutplants and Selcier- I will definitely take a look at those colors! One that I am taking a second look at is Frappe by BM. I had dismissed it earlier thinking it was too light, but I am now thinking its because I am used to having darker walls.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

It is so hard to pick lighter colors. I wanted a color that was cream (or what I think cream looks like in my head) took me about 20 colors to find the one. I posted about it here. It really does depend on your room. I can't wait to see what you pick!

We had a darker color and it was just depressing without much natural light in our house. DH has been painting away and the lighter color is so uplifting! :)