Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Question for those with TVs over Fireplace

For those of you who have mounted TVs over your fireplace, where do you store your components -- Tivo, receiver, DVD player, and TV acoutrements (wii, remotes, DVDs)?

Comments (7)

• robin2007
    15 years ago

We have our TV mounted over the fireplace (love it like that, by the way!). We have a remote sensor installed and wired to our front closet. That closet is where all of our components are....vcr/dvd, dish, video games, etc. Everything is controlled by the remote.
    It was super easy to install the sensor, but we did it as the house was being built, so we were able to wire it all before the drywall went up. Could still be done going through the attic though.
    We bought our sensor from smarthome (dot) com.

Here is a link to my blog where I have posted our house pictures. If you scroll about 1/2 way down the page to the post called "Some House Pictures", the 5th picture down shows the tv and the front closet in the same shot. That is the closet where all of our "stuff" is at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog with House Pictures

• robin2007
    15 years ago

OK, I uploaded the picture to photobucket and now I can post it here....

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice set up, robin. Does having the TV so high bother your necks? We're lay on the sofa folks here.

Anybody who doesn't have a nearby closet have ideas for where to store components with an over-fireplace TV set up?

• robin2007
    15 years ago

It doesn't at all. We even lay on the floor to watch it.

The closet doesn't need to be nearby at all. You can put it in a completely different room if you'd like. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Do you have room for shelving on either side of the fireplace? I would only be concerned about the heat if the equipment is down low near the fireplace. The mantle really stops a lot of the heat from going to the TV.

• namabafo
    15 years ago

our components are in our office next door. we had the whole thing wired when had the FR gutted.

and for 3 years I've been trying to like it, but I pretty much hate having the tv over the fireplace. I'm only comfortable watching it if I am 20+ away in the kitchen--then I can't really see it! lol I don't think our bracket tilts as much as robin's though. we have it at max angle--but it doesn't tilt that much.

that said--I also can't stand looking up at a screen in the movies theater, either--I love stadium seating where I can sit way up--so I am level or looking down at the screen.

ymmv!

• laurience
    15 years ago

I have my t.v. mounted over fireplace and am having same problem with storing pvr box. All kinds of wires that I need to hide too. I do love the t.v. over the fireplace though..

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

sarschlos: Would there be room to put the TV to the right of the fireplace instead of above? I think it is very challenging to have a room with both a fireplace and large screen TV as well as good seating where everyone has a view of the TV unless it's a really big room. I would definitely think out a solution for this room taking all of the above into account before proceeding with the FP remodel--esp. if there is not a separate family room in the house.