Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgps

Skip this post if sick of whorehouse flip flopping

rgps
9 years ago

I just don't know how this happened but I went to the big city and a 12 yard bolt of the most gorgeous yellow velvet slipped into my shopping bag. Imagine.

Today is the last day I get to torture myself about what fabric to put on what and I need help.

So we have left to decide what to put on 2 sofas and 2 swivel rockers. Different fabric for each sofa. Same fabric for swivels. Those are the rules and I'm sticking to them. I have 12 yds of each fabric so anything can go on anything.

Yellow velvet
Rust velvet
Paisley

Now match them up.

Just a few notes about the photo below. The blue is really teal and goes on a wingback chair. The elephants go on the dining chairs with that ugly gray fabric which is really a lovely olive in real life.

Comments (37)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Yellow and rust for the sofas...paisley for the swivel chairs.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I second Joanie's suggestion.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Are those your new floors? They've been stained and sealed? If they are your new floors, they look great!

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not my floors.
    These are my new floors.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Speaking of whorehouse flip-flopping...

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I know what you mean Tibbrix. It is upside down on my laptop. But if I click on the picture, a new tab opens and it is right side up. Some of my photos do that too and I'm baffled!

Photo orientation aside, those are some good looking floors, rgps. Did "the boys" finish them or did you outsource finishing?

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Called in the pros and we went to Denver for the whole stinky process. Love em. Now bbstx, get back to answering the question. Time is running out.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

What Joanie said, definitely. Leftover velvet in throw pillows for the swivels. Leftover paisley pillows for the sofas of course.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Joanie nailed it. (an aside - don't you just hate it when you get home and something has hidden in your cart/car - you found 12 yards of yellow velvet, for me it is ususally a 5 lb bag of Snickers. )

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went to Denver ikea and 13 bars of chocolate leaped into the cart.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Paisley for the swivels but I would do both sofas in the teal velvet. Now I know you won't listen so how about the teal for one and rust for the other.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly, where is the love for my yellow velvet?
    How can you deny me one of these? Besides I don't have enough of the teal for a whole couch. Can't get more.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or one of these.

{{!gwi}}

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Please re-post 21:18 pic. Not showing up.

Are you having a Chesterfield in your house? I have a Chesterfield. I love my Chesterfield. It is wonderfully comfortable.

I knew about the 1940s sofa. It was great. But I didn't realize there was a second sofa.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No such luck. It's this hideous plaid thing which is soooo comfortable and well made it deserves a second chance. I will put legs on it of some sort. Hope that de70s it a bit.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Well RGPS, I have absolutely no imagination but the yellow looks superb on the Chesterfield but I can't imagine what it will look like on the sofa you have. WTBS, I am a big proponent for using what you love. It probably will look smashing and then I will hide my face in shame. I am a sucker for the teal velvet, you will be using it for at least one sofa right?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Thirteen yards is not enough fabric for a regular size sofa, rgps. If you have enough, or can get enough of the paisley, I would upholster both sofas in the paisley fabric, then select either the rust or yellow for chairs. There is too much contrast between the yellow and rust, IMO, to have two sofas or two chairs competing with each other in those colors. Is this all going on the navy blue and red rug?

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Paisley on sofas, if possible. If not, paisley and rust on sofas, in same combination on both. Yellow on chairs or not at all, or on pillows.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Sister had a sofa that she loved. She had it reupholstered and it was like sitting on a park bench. Make sure you discuss your desired level of squish with the upholsterer. She had it re-upholstered more than 8 years ago and has been waiting for it to "relax" ever since. This year she finally came to the conclusion that she needs a new sofa.

I hadn't thought about it, but kwsl may be right - you may not have enough velvet to upholster a sofa. You have chosen a fabric with nap. The sofa will need to be upholstered so that the nap all runs the same direction or it will look like you have used different fabrics. That takes more yardage than a plain cotton would take.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I still like your original plan, both chairs in Paisley, couches both of the same Teal, pillows for both couches of the Paisley, and pillows for the chairs in the yellow or rust. Elephants on chair front&backs, I can't tell from the small picture here but would the yellow go with the Elephants? That way you could get more of the yellow in. You might have big floor pillows made of the rust and yellow, to make it whorehouse worthy, of course big tassels from each corner, could even have a center diamond shape of the Paisley fabric on the big pillows. Stacked as an ottoman, or single to sit or lounge on.

I have to say I am sad that stripes fabric is not in the choices. :-(

This post was edited by ravencajun on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 3:27

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Or big poufs! Moroccan style! With all your great fabrics some patch poufs with those would be beautiful.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Patch work pouf. I think you should use those beautiful fabrics!

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I would do one couch paisley & one yellow. Rust chairs.
    Another choice would be one paisley couch, one rust couch & 2 yellow chairs.

This post was edited by eandhl on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 18:21

• pugga
    9 years ago

I love all the fabrics you've chosen. If you don't have enough velvet for a sofa, could you use the velvet on the "base" part of the sofa and then a pattern on the cushions?

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Pugga and I agree. Or, if the cushions are box cushions, you could do the narrow parts in one fabric, the outsides of the sofa arms in same fabric, and the other parts of the cushions and fronts of the seat backs in the second fabric.

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

IMO neither the yellow nor the rust is going to go as well with the wood on that plaid sofa as the teal would, though the rust or the paisley would be better than the yellow.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Okay this may sound a little out there but how about using several of the fabrics on the 70s peice?

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Raven, do not despair. There is a stripe on a wing chair very similar to the one below. The sample below is 91% viscose and 9% cotton and doesn't seem very sturdy but I love the look so am going to leave the chair with the blue and green stripe my mom put on it in the 80's. I'd show it but it's at the upholsterer for rehab. Is so much viscose a problem. I thought I read to steer clear of it. If someone can give this fabric content a thumbs up I may use it as I do like it a lot.

Kswl yup, this all goes on the oriental. Scary isn't it? Again, remember that blue fabric is teal. Don't understand why it always photographs so blue.

Love the poufs.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Perhaps you could find a matching teal that reproduces accurately, so we have an idea of the real color? Or tell us a RAL number or something. Or a paint color. Or a colorchart color.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Lol, rpgs, don't mind me.....I can't begin to keep it all straight and have no idea what you are planning at this point! It will be a fun surprise at the reveal :-)

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I wouldn't want the solid yellow or rust velvet on the sofas... If both of those 2 fabrics needed to be used for a couch, I would do the body of the sofa in the velvet and the cushions in something else...maybe... but really, I would look some more!
    I love the paisley and the teal and the elephants and have to take your word that the elephants look good with the olive gray fabric.... not loving the yellow or the rust...

• voila
    9 years ago

Isn't it funny that people think your design isn't Bohemian enough? You have three solid upholstery fabrics and one paisley. I would not add paisley pillows to the solid couches. I would add another pattern. The couches in yellow and rust are fine. The swivel chairs are fine in the in the paisley without the button back. I would go to Etsy to find pillows to tie it all together.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

That paisley is stunning! I can't wait to see how it ends up :) Not a big fan of the mustard on a sofa personally, but I am sure it could work. I do like the idea of mixing and matching. Maybe the body of one sofa red and the body of the other teal then the cushions for both in paisley.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I'm way behind on the story, and I guess I didn't realize until now that you had TWO sofas to re-cover! I would definitely do the chairs in the paisley and leave the sofas in solid colors, especially if they are going to sit back-to-back or close together as shown in your photo. Too many competing patterns and colors, unless that is what you're going for. I do still love the elephant print and the olive color with it. Not a bold choice for a solid, but really shows off the thundering herd.

I'd use the rust/red as cording somewhere - with the teal blue on the sofa or maybe even on both sofas to tie them together, for throw pillows or for cording on pillows with the paisley, etc. Just a touch of that will go a long way.

Here is your photo right-side up.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Would be helpful if you could post a picture of the rug again on this thread to look at with the fabrics.

If sofas are to be in the same room, I would much prefer they be the same color, whatever you choose. The two, back to back, in different colors begin to give a furniture store vibe.

And another "no" vote on the yellow velvet and a still "yes" on the teal. Can't wait to see the finished room!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with lizbeth-gardener. Is it absolutely necessary to have both sofas in the same room? I meant to say the same thing. If they both must be in the same room, I think they should be the same fabric.

• suero
    9 years ago

Is 12 yards enough to do one sofa? My 7 foot sofa takes 18 yards of plain fabric (no repeat issues).