Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Teak dining set

kam76
9 years ago

My grandmother had a beautiful teak dining set and I am now in the market for one myself. I have fond memories of her's but of course I never paid attention when I was younger to the maker or anything and the set is long gone (as is she :( ). The table had leaves that were underneath and extended out. The chairs had what I think were Naugahyde upholstery on the seats. Going to consignment shops and the like are their name brands or things I should look for? I have no idea if her set was high quality but I would like a high quality set. I saw one table that was lovely and the shop had it listed as Danish Teak and said "Ansagar" on it. Is this a good brand?

Comments (9)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I love vintage teak. Maybe start by looking though this link. Not all is old (I see my table in there, and it's not that old, I don't think); however you'll see some terrific designs and perhaps something will remind you of your grandmother's set.

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage teak dining furniture

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Keep an eye on C-List too. That's where I got mine for a song, and I love it!!! Good luck!

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tomatofreak! Such beauties. I will check out CL too..do you mind my asking how much you paid Kiwigem, prices seem to vary so much I just want to know a good deal when I see one so I can jump on it.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Mine was kind of ridiculous, but mostly because I'm not in a market where that style is popular and because I had to fix up the finish on the table top. I bargained the guy down so far I actually voluntarily gave him more because I was afraid his wife would be mad at him and another $10 wasn't worth causing someone marital strife- LOL. $170 for the table and 5 chairs (one chair lost in the mists of time, so I use a bench on one side), plus the seller dismantled it and loaded it into my van. A good deal in my neck of the woods, but apparently awesome in other markets. My best friend lives in the Hamptons and nearly choked. :-) Table has two gravity leaves that pull out on the ends. I love that feature!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I didn't think mine was that old, but I guess the 70's were a way back, lol. I also got a bargain. I almost fell over when I saw this one in a non-profit store that raises money for AIDS patients. (I have found several bargains there.) $150 for the table and 6 chairs. I've also lost one; it must be a thing with dining chairs. Leaves are hidden under the table. When both are in, I can seat 14 people around it. I don't use it very much, but each time I consider selling it, I think of Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Danish Modern with extensions

• teapot100
    9 years ago

I love vintage teak/MCM furniture as well! We bought the set off of CL - when we went to pick it up I was scared the whole time that the owners would change their minds, lol. This is a photo from 2 or 3 years ago. The table is rosewood (it is very heavy) and has 2 leaves (everyone says it's a dining table, but to me it looks very conference-room like) while the chairs are teak and what the previous owners said was the captain's chair is actually a different make altogether and apparently worth at least 4x what I paid for the entire set. Score!

Another good link is attached below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Addict forums

This post was edited by teapot100 on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 22:34

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

teapot, where's your photo?! You know we want to see it. ;o)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

DH and I bought ours prior to getting married ('82) - we were hosting a brunch so the 2 families could meet each other and wanted a large table that would seat everyone. While shopping, DH decided he didn't like the veneered teak and wanted a solid table so we ordered it from Dyrlund. I've fallen in and out of love with it over the years many times as styles change but would never get rid of it. It weighs a TON because it's solid and getting those leaves in place is a major undertaking!! The chairs are made by Koefoed and I love them because although they are teak, the styling is a little different than most - somewhat transitional. I can recommend both those brands.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Love our teak. Price varies! We got our kitchen table (not fancy) that was 20 years old about 10 years ago, we paid $200 with 4 chairs. Decent condition.

Our dining room on the other hand, is gorgeous (similar table to dim2000), was 10 years old when we bought it (and they had the same table and chairs for new at the teak store) and I paid 3 K for a 60x80 table, 6 chairs and a buffet and hutch. Priced it out new and it was 7K plus tax.

Good luck in your search!