Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1368810

Black dining room chairs? Table?

User
9 years ago

Hi all,

We have just moved back into our home after a long remodel and are now trying to purchase a few pieces of furniture. Despite being so, so burned out on house-related decisions, my husband and I have finally found a dining room chair that we both like. This is cause for celebration. As usual, though, I'd like to over-analyze our choice to death. Here's the chair in question:

It also comes in an arm-chair style:

We like the chair because it's simple but not too simple, interesting but not over the top, and looks comfortable (actual comfortable-ness TBD). I particularly like the cane seats & back. The chair only comes in black, which leads to my question. Can a black dining room chair go with a non-black table? I'm trying to break out of my shell, but I'm pretty timid when it comes to decorating, so I tend towards the matchy-matchy. But I don't so much want a black table.

If it helps, our house is a 1914 Craftsman with some Colonial Revival tendencies. Here's the dining room in question (current table & chairs will not be staying):

Can anyone validate our choice and/or suggest what kind of table I might look for that could work with these?

Comments (13)

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I just want to say I love the chairs you selected. What style table do you like?

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

ThatâÂÂs a lovely dining room, and I do think that you could use a wood stained table, either round or rectangular, in this room with those chairs. I personally love the idea of mixing the black chairs with a medium to dark stained wooden table.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love the black cane chairs you settled on. I think they would look great with a stained table.

I recently painted my CR chairs black to help separate them from the floor a bit, and think it looks pretty good. I don't have a great picture with me, but you can get the idea from this "in progress" pic:

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for your support! It occurs to me now that black chairs could even be an easier choice than trying to pair different wood finishes. Our current set is my mother's old Ethan Allen suite that I believe was purchased in 1984. I'm not a huge fan of the chairs, but now that I look at the table again, maybe it could work for us after all--at least for a while. Somehow it seems like it might fight with the chairs a bit, or that may be my matchy-matchy bias showing.

Errant, I'd love to see your in-progress pic!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Yes indeed mix painted chairs with a stained table. I have a beautiful antique cherry table and I bought painted chairs with rush seats to go with it and I think it looks good. BTW, I love the chairs you chose!

{{!gwi}}

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I love that table! Why not keep it, pair it up with the new chairs and live with it a while. You'll soon know if really want a different table.

• selcier
    9 years ago

Hvhay: Can I ask where the chairs are from? I really love them!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! I feel emboldened.

Selcier, the chairs are by Noir and I found them on Layla Grace. Noir has some other chairs that I liked too, like this one:

which I knew I recognized from this room on Houzz that I always liked, though the designer gives a different source:

[Eclectic Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2104)

Here is a link that might be useful: Noir Colonial Bamboo Hand Rubbed Black Side Chair

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Those are fantastically sharp chairs!! I think they'll look great with the table you have. I like them much better than the bobbin chairs. I think the bamboo chairs will have greater staying power.

Congrats on the new remodel.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love those chairs, esp. the one with arms. Such a nice shape. The seat and back make a great tie-in with a multitude of stains.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love the chairs! My first thought when I saw your table and chairs is that the new chairs would look great with your old table. Glad you are most likely taking that route. I agree with others to live with it for a bit and if it doesn't work then consider a new table.

Beautiful home!

• rgps
    9 years ago

I sure hope those chairs are comfy because they look divine.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I've been trying to post a photo for you, hvhay, but keep getting a server error:(

This post was edited by Errant on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:43