Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyp123gw

Which Picture over Mantle?

kellyp123
9 years ago

Sea Teal.

Which Picture for over mantle in Living Room? I am deciding between two. The first one is vertical orientation, which isn't ideal for over mantle. I would prefer a wider picture, but this print has special meaning for my husband and I. We both love it! I am hoping I could make it work with accessories on the sides. I would also frame it. Size would be approx. 39w x 48 l. Could it work? Or, should we choose the second one because it is wider and closer in size to mantle? It is a print that we both like but it doesn't speak to us like the first one. It would be about 36w x 24L. Following are pictures of both prints and my mantle. (Sorry I couldn't get my gallery from art.com to save with them over my mantle). Thanks for any input.

This post was edited by kellyp123 on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 22:03

Comments (30)

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the first one...

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second one

• User
    9 years ago

kelly,
    Hang the picture that means the most to you.
    You dont need any ones opinion on this choice.
    Art is subjective. Personal. Like a fragrance.
    Hang the piece and enjoy it.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My mantle. We are open to changing paint color.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I agree with butterfly. Hang the one you love!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Use the one you like better.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't agree with the others. Hand the second one over the FP, as it will fit there better (and go with the paint color!).

Hang the other in another prominent place where you and hour husband can enjoy itâ¦your bedroom? A dining room? Kitchen? Foyer?

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

How wide is the mantle?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I love the first one and think it is a great size and subject for your room. But I would def change the wall color. If you're doing it solely for the painting and want to decorate the room around it I'd choose one of the many lovely blues, blue greens, or blue grays from the art.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would use the first one and change the paint for it. I'm curious about the story whereas with the second painting I learned that story in grammar school. I wouldn't look at it twice if I visited your home.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oaktonmom - mantle is 72 inches wide. I appreciate all of the replies!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

You do not say the size of the pictures. One may fit better than the other.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The second one seems better suited to the mantle, but the first picture would probably be a nice selection for the foyer.

Don't forget that there will probably be a matte and frame taking up some space around the print when it's hung, so size of the print and the space available will be important.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

You should pick the one that is meaningful to you unless there is a better spot for it in the house. As a picture, I like the first one.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Definitely Washington Crossing the Delaware.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I love the first painting, and would change the paint color to show this off to itâÂÂs best advantage. Washington crossing the Delaware is too common a theme for me.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Hang the painting that you love, especially if it has a special meaning for both of you. It's a beautiful work and a conversation starter for others - I certainly would like to know its story! If you get it, try it against your wall in the present color; it might look fine. Sometimes pictures done in pale-ish, watery tones stand out very well against darker walls.

There's nothing wrong with the second picture, especially if you like it, but IMO many people would look at it and think Okay, Washington Crossing the Delaware. A thrilling story, but as May flowers wrote, most of us know it. Have to say, though, that the way Beverly27 shows it, it looks wonderful.

Let us know what you decide!

• theclose
    9 years ago

I think the first one, since it is meaningful and you love it best. How about putting sconces on either side? Might balance it out better.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Looking at Beverly's mock up, I prefer the first one and I would place topiaries or hurricanes with candles on either side of the picture. The second picture overtakes the space and leaves no room to place anything decorative on the mantle. I don't think subject matter should dictate where you hang art that you love.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone! Your comments have been very helpful. I have to admit that they both look great the way that Beverly photoshopped them (thanks Beverly!). I am going to get the first print because it makes my heart sing. I am very excited to have it in my home! I like the idea of using it in my foyer or bedroom if I decide it doesn't work.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

The first print is more than double the size of the second one, if the measurements you gave are accurate--wider (39 inches compared to 36 inches) and twice the height (48 compared to 24 inches for Washington). How much vertical space is above the mantle? Based on the 72 inch width you gave for the mantle, I'm guessing about 5 feet. So the first print is going to take up most of the vertical space, even with a minimal frame. I don't necessarily think that's a deal-killer, and I actually favor the first print, but do measure and let us know how much space is there. And think about how wide a frame you want, and do the math to figure out how much space it will leave above and below. Not an issue for Washington Crossing the Delaware.

I think that Beverly's mock-ups have the first print a bit undersized and Washington quite a bit oversized. (No offense Beverly, I am only pointing it out because the scale may be misleading to the OP). Either print should be about half the width of the mantle, not including mat and frame.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point Cawaps. Vertical space is 62.5 inches. The measurements I gave were including mat and frame. The print only size is 36 x 48 and depending on frame (approx. 39 x 50).

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Love the one you love and I would place it where it can be appreciated. Things you love make you happy.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

You did the right thing. I think a vertical picture makes more of a focal statement rather than blending right in with the horizontal wall look, especially since it's larger. Lovely print.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I have a vertical picture over my fireplace and it works well. If there is room for it I prefer the vertical photoshopped look.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Kellyp - Would you tell us the title of the painting? You needn't explain why it's meaningful to you personally, but I would really like to know about the subject matter.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sable - the title is "The Arrival of the Procession of St. Anne from Fousesant to Concarneau, 1887 by Alfred Guillou.

• SarahDR
    9 years ago

Loving the way Beverly photoshopped them in. Definitely helps give us a better idea of the potential. Will we get an updated picture of the painting once it's hung? :)

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

The first painting is beautiful! I looked it up on-line. Had to do a little searching, and used Google translate, to find the legend set in the Brittany Region of France which led to a chapel being built to honor Saint Anne. Lovely story as well as painting.
    Thank you

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kellyp - I also looked up the painting online and have an article up on Wikipedia about Concarneau. When I first looked at your photo I thought that it must be nurses coming to work with Florence Nightingale in the Crimean War. Then looked more closely and realized that it had a serious religious theme. Fascinating painting, very unusual!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!