Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirstenvaughan

Design help needed

Kirsten Vaughan
11 years ago

Please help. I have a small wonderful house, but I am at lost in floor plan layout. Please view these photos. How/what should I put one center of the room? It looks like a dance floor.

Comments (12)

• Kirsten Vaughan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A few other comments.....this is one large room. Kitchen/dining and then the space I am lamenting over. There is a "family room" /sun room just pat 3 sets do French doors. The space is approx 18 feet by 9 feet. This photo is from the sun room back to the front door.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Kisty, the easiest thing to do would be to move furniture away from the walls, more toward the center of the room. With such a large space, and if you have enough furniture, specifically tables/chairs, think about breaking it down into conversation areas.

A larger area rug may also help as it would make the spaces outside the rug narrower, giving the illusion of less/smaller floor space.

Could the pictures be lightened up a bit? It's hard to see what all you have in the space(s).

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

The photos are upside down on my screen...yours, too???

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

Upside down for me, too.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

On my PC they're upside down, on the iPad it's not. Strange.

Kisty, it looks like the space should have a small eating area. Can you take brighter pictures of the room and neighboring rooms?

• Kirsten Vaughan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry the dark upside down photos. The neighboring rooms are the dining room and kitchen. When you walkin the front door....should you see the back of a conversation area?

• Kirsten Vaughan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This photo from the back of the room looking to the front door.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Here's one:

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Here's #2

• fillagirl
    11 years ago

It might cost a bit, but you could replace the countertop nearest the chairs with a countertop with a 10 - 12 inch overhang and put bar stools underneath. More eating space, and people sitting there could turn around & chat with the folks in the chairs....

• fillagirl
    11 years ago

It might cost a bit, but you could replace the countertop nearest the chairs with a countertop with a 10 - 12 inch overhang and put bar stools underneath. More eating space, and people sitting there could turn around & chat with the folks in the chairs....

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Thanks, Awn. Kisty, your picture's are still upside down. Did you rotate them before they were posted?

You have an interesting and fun space to play with. If you keep the seating area against the wall, move the rug to the wall (or under the chairs) and set the chairs on top. That would define the space as a seating area and take away from the dance floor feel.

I would add a small coffee table too. Beautiful home!